20 replies to this topic

#1 stewart

stewart
  • Sponsor
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:CPs and lots of them!!

Posted 28 February 2010 - 13:10 PM

Dear members of the CPUK forum,

I am currently in the Philippines and just returned from two spectacular peaks in Palawan.

On the summits of these mountains, I encountered two new Nepenthes species.

Here is the first - a truly spectacular plant and one of the biggest in the genus.

I found this plant growing atop of a remote mountain - Sultan's Peak - near Mount Victoria where N. attenboroughii grows.

This plant - which will be called Nepenthes palawanensis ined., is even larger than Nepenthes attenboroughii and really gives N. rajah a run for its money.

I have posted a video clip of me putting my entire hand inside one of the giant pitchers on my website N. palawanensis video

I spent the last week organising permits to legally collect a herbarium specimen to desposit at Palawan State University. This magnificent new species will be formally described in my next books, Carnivorous Plants and their Habitats. The description will be in the appendix in vol. 2 of the work.

Acquiring all of the permits, permission and authorization was difficult, but it is a joint effort working with many botanists from the Philippines, and as with N. attenboroughii, all of the specimens will stay in the Philippines for local botanists to study, which is really important. This find really shows what magnificent flora there is on Palawan, and the need for conservation efforts.

In other news, I was really glad to hear that the recent media interest in N. attenboroughii has led to the protection of the Victoria Range. even though the newspapers exaggerated the plant quite a bit, this led to the entire mountain complex being given local protected states, and a Nickel mine was closed and stopped from destroying the lower slopes of the mountain. Which is GREAT. Hopefully the same can happen for Nepenthes palawanensis ined. and its home, the Sultan range. I am working hard with friends in Palawan to try and pull together a UN World Heritage status proposal.

Anyway, here are some photos of Nepenthes palawanensis ined., and also N. attenboroughii to compare. The two plants are extremely closely related, but there are significant, tangible and consistent morphological differences in the leaf structure, flower structure, pitcher morphology and size, amongst many other differences. Also the exterior of the pitcher of N. palawanensis is lined with short, brown hairs.

Here is the first -

Posted Image
Nepenthes palawanensis ined.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also a video N. palawanensis video

And to compare

Posted Image
Nepenthes attenboroughii

Posted Image
Nepenthes attenboroughii

Posted Image
Nepenthes attenboroughii

Hope you like the pics!

Stew

www.redfernnaturalhistory.com

#2 UtricSeb

UtricSeb
  • Full Members
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:CPs,Killifish,Aquascaping,Orchids,Poison Frogs

Posted 28 February 2010 - 13:26 PM

Those are great news Stewart. Thanks for sharing. I really hope your efforts on conservation give some good results.

#3 Stefano

Stefano
  • Full Members
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:CPs, Photography, Football, War Games, Rugby,

Posted 28 February 2010 - 14:01 PM

Wow! This is a gorgeous plant :lol: and it is great news about the park becoming protected - hopefully saving the plants and animals for future generations of growers :lol:

Thanks for sharing!

#4 rsivertsen

rsivertsen
  • Full Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 14:41 PM

Wow! Great find Stewart! Any photos of the racemes and seed? Keep up the great work! - Rich

#5 Phil Green

Phil Green
  • Full Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 17:15 PM

In other news, I was really glad to hear that the recent media interest in N. attenboroughii has led to the protection of the Victoria Range. even though the newspapers exaggerated the plant quite a bit, this led to the entire mountain complex being given local protected states, and a Nickel mine was closed and stopped from destroying the lower slopes of the mountain. Which is GREAT.

This really is great news.

Along with other things happening elsewhere, it looks like Nep conservation is finally starting to get somewhere :lol:

#6 vraev

vraev
  • Full Members
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Natural History
    Immunology
    David Attenborough
    Carnivorous plants
    Wild-life Photography

Posted 28 February 2010 - 17:34 PM

Oh my dear god!! Beautiful pictures Stew. Thanks soo much for the video.

And truly great news for nepenthes. Clearly this genus of plants have once again captured human attention and that is responsible for the protection of all of Mt. Victoria's flora and fauna. Fantastic news indeed. May these species and peaks stay as they are without human intervention forever.
  • djh likes this

#7 kisscool_38

kisscool_38
  • Full Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 20:22 PM

:lol: Such enormous pitchers!
Thanks for those 2 reports

Regards

Aymeric

#8 daan

daan
  • Full Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 20:46 PM

nice work Stewart. Let us learn more and brings some seeds back.

Daan

#9 christerb

christerb
  • Full Members
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:Carnivorous Plant, Orchids and Tanganyika Cichlids

Posted 28 February 2010 - 21:15 PM

What a beautiful find! The pitcher looks almost intermediate between N. mira/deaniana, and N. attenboroughii. I am looking forward to hearing more about this fascinating species. Thanks for the info and photos/video.

Regards,

Christer

#10 loligo1964

loligo1964
  • Full Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 21:53 PM

Congratulations, Stewart!

#11 Daniel O.

Daniel O.
  • Full Members
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 00:24 AM

Hi Stewart,

wow, indeed really huge pitchers. :lol:
Perfect for terrarium cultivation. :kiss3:

Congratulation and many thanks for sharing these pictures.

Best regards,

Dani

#12 thez_yo

thez_yo
  • Full Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 00:43 AM

Wow, to get to go discover such a big (the biggest?) new Nepenthes must be incredible! It's great to hear that the Victoria Range has been granted protection too :kiss3:

#13 Samoied

Samoied
  • Full Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 21:59 PM

Congrats for your wonderful discovery! It's good to know that at least part of the habitat of these species are under protection now. I'm wondering about the altitude this species grows, did you take these mesures?

#14 Davion

Davion
  • Full Members
  • 354 posts
  • Location:7-minutes from Mount-Bold, Adelaide, South Australia
  • Interests:B3, F#4, D4, A4 & Plants

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

Perhaps Attenboroughii was-R Bit 'Premature' ... and This-one Should-be Named-after Edward-Teller: "Father-of-The-Hydrogen-Bomb"!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

#15 Neil Cornish

Neil Cornish
  • Full Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Fantastic plants, pics and conservation news! Keep up the great work.

Regards Neil

#16 cosmo

cosmo
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Science, molecular biology research, carnivorous plants, Hoyas, reptiles....

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:30 AM

Amazing and really astonishing species! thanks for sharing

#17 Kiwi Earl

Kiwi Earl
  • Full Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 00:50 AM

Now that's impressive.

#18 avery

avery
  • Full Members
  • 603 posts
  • Interests:Nepenthes, VFT, Utricularia, Drosera, Heliamphora, Pinguicula, Orchids

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:15 AM

HI Stewart ~ gorgeous pitchers ~~~ Looking forward for your new books ~ Your nepenthes books are so eye catching and informative ~~

May I know what altitude is these 2 species located ??

Sincerely, Avery

Edited by avery, 14 March 2010 - 03:16 AM.

#19 Sockhom

Sockhom
  • Full Members
  • 1,657 posts
  • Interests:rock music, drawing, litterature, entomology

Posted 03 August 2010 - 18:33 PM

Hello,

This species has been formerly described and the description will be published in Stewart McPherson new books. These will be available in the following days.

"Nepenthes palawanensis (Nepenthenceae), a new pitcher plant species from Sultan Peak, Palawan Island, Philipines. 2010. McPherson S., J. Cervancia, C. Lee, M. Jauzems, A. Fleischmann, F. Mey, E. Gironella, A. Robinson. In: S.R. McPherson. Carnivorous Plants in their Habitats. Redfern Natural History Productions Ltd., Poole (Appendix).

All the best,

Fran├žois.

#20 Alexander Nijman

Alexander Nijman
  • Full Members
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Plants, gardening, travel.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

My god, this is unbelievable! It looks like that its bigger then N. rajah! And that such plants are still discovered so recently is amazing!

Well maybe one day someone gets eaten by even a bigger one...

Cheers,

Alexander