Chasing a jewel on Auyan tepui

Hello,

some more pics from the tablemountains for you – from Auyan tepui, the biggest tepui of the Guyana highlands.

We had just one day to spend – but these hours were full of great impressions. This is just a little little story out of this day.

Normally we went around the mountain tops, catching whatever the eye could find. But when I came to this little stream, things were different for me. It was more a hunting for something particular that I haven`t seen before and did have to find. Maybe here?

auyan1.jpg

The stream came out of the bushes – the contrast to the bright lit open plateau looked mystical – and raised my expectations! Outside I had already found wonderful plants, like H. minor, the typical Heliamphora on Auyan, or U. quelchii in flower.

auyan2.jpg

auyan3.jpg

Inside this “forrest” the conditions were totally different – diffuse light, much more humid – like a little highland jungle.

auyan4.jpg

So the plants were also different – many epiphytes on moss covered trees or rotting branches , like this little Tillandsia.

auyan5.jpg

And many spectacular flowers…

auyan6.jpg

A branch full of U. quelchii -

auyan7.jpg

But no time to waste – I was in the hunt for…something like that:

auyan9.jpg

Could it be…I was extremely excited – but no flowers. Just a spent one – yes, that`s what it should look like, maybe

auyan8.jpg

Finally, after about half an hour crawling through the slippery trees and mossy ground – the perhaps most beautiful flower of all Utricularia – U. campbelliana:

auyan10.jpg

Even though the light was quite weak here, it gleamed mysteriously through the dark forrest like a magic jewel.

Well – that’s exactly what it was for me. Wouldn`t you agree?

auyan11.jpg

Hope you like it

Martin

Edited by Martin Hingst
  • Like 1

It looks magical!

The U.campbelliana really does look like ruby among the vegetation.

It must have been hard to leave that place!

Thanks for those stunning pics.

Amazing stuff, thanks for sharing!! The pics brings back great memories from my Neblina expedition in 1998/1999, when I 1st saw U.campbelliana. I think it was probably my favorite CP from that trip! Did you only see one flower or did you find more?

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Thanks for the nice comments :(

Nadja - a ruby, yes, that fits! :wink:

Fernando - on Auyan I only found two flowers. But on Roraima there were some more. Not a common species, although quite widespread, Neblina is quite far away!

Carl - not impossible, there are some members here who already had some success bringing this plant to flower. But quite difficult. I am still waiting on mine to flower.

Regards

Martin

Carl - not impossible, there are some members here who already had some success bringing this plant to flower. But quite difficult. I am still waiting on mine to flower.

I've just found it for sale at €150!... I think I'll give this one a miss :wub: