EEE 2011 . Chester Zoo

Tim Bailey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm hoping there'll be a lot of interesting plants to purchase this weekend. Not having been to EEE before what can we do with all these plants we buy? Will there be somewhere to store them during the day or will I have to walk round carrying armfuls of pots?

Thanks,

Sounds good. Thanks Dennis.

They "should" have plastic bags to keep a high humidity rate if for the day (e.g. nepenthes), but maybe bringing some on your own, if you buy these species, would be helpful...

OL (CH, won't buy or sell this time, unless sby is interested in buying small non TC seedlings of neps jamban and naga on personal request...)

btw: can't wait either opening the doors of the exhibition and meeting loads of old pals...

Unfortunately Irmgard is still recovering from a pneumonia and must strictly avoid any former infection, therefore we had to cancel our hotel in Chester and cannot join the EEE. We are very sorry about that. We planned to bring our last DVD "On CP-tour with Stewart McPherson", edited from Stew's filming over several years in Venezuela and showing all Heliamphora species described until 2010, and much more. Because we cannot bring it personally to the EEE, we decided to post it free of postage and for a special EEE-price of EURO 20,-.

For everybody interested in the DVD (English language) with Stew's Tepui adventures, please order via email Email for DVD order and we send you the conditions for payment by PayPal.

Irmgard and I wish you all a wonderful EEE and hope to meet you again at the next CP-event!

I was told on chat today that I can still get tickets when I get to that Zoo. Can someone tell me how much will I pay (im 15). Also do anyone knows how do I get there by bus from Gorton?

Try email dennis you might be lucky. if not you will have to pay full price at the zoo i suppose dennis is going so yoe could pick them up on the day worth a try to contact him. keith

Some simple pictures from the EEE today. I seem to have missed many of the traders stands, hopefully someone a bit more thorough can fill in the gaps.

Most of the marquees

gallery_5421_438_782088.jpg

First stand on the right

gallery_5421_438_370663.jpg

Second marquee on the right

gallery_5421_438_236491.jpg

Last stand on the left

gallery_5421_438_558573.jpg

Charles Darwin in attendance

gallery_5421_438_190421.jpg

A BIG H. nutans

gallery_5421_438_503840.jpg

• Like 2

Had a good day at the EEE at chester today. nice to meet some of the members and say hello. some nice plants for sale and displays. all spent out now. :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting pictures, hope others have some snapshots, so the ones who didn't go can see what they missed! and can kick themselves even harder! :wall2::cray:

Many thanks to all of those involved in organising the event yesterday- excellent location and great variety of plants on display and on sale. Needless to say, I overspent on my most recent obsession, rare and pricey highland Neps!

Greg

Having just got back - after a 280 mile drive :Laie_76C: , I'm some what 'pooped'. So will post some pic's later.

But just wanted to say THANKS to those concerned, for organising a great event, at a really great venue (from what little I managed to see of it :sad: )

Also a big thanks to all those who help give me a little bit of space (for a few days, at least).

It was a great weekend.

Thanks John for the support and all the time you spent helping out.

And thanks to Ian (fishycps) for all your help too.

James 'o' neill's parents also got involved handing out balloons and brought a very talented artist to our shores.

And finally thanks to all the staff that helped us at Chester zoo, Some of the staff went above and beyond the call of duty and were very helpful to us (we were so impressed we left 4 Red dragon VFT and a thank you note)

Cheers all, A perfect weekend.

I'd like to add my thanks to all my speakers. Gert Hoogenstrid who is now no longer a PowerPoint virgin. Rob Cantley who stepped in with a fascinating talk at the last minute. Andreas Wistuba who traveled almost as far to Chester as he did to Sulawesi, the subject of his talk. To Diana Williams who managed to show me working. :whistling: And to Mike King who once again showed why he is one of the UK's prime Sarracenia growers and more importantly, gave enough clues so that we can all get there!

Finally I'd like to thank Zoe Benson from Chester Zoo, who made the lectures run so smoothly. I'm pleased to say we didn't have a single hitch. And I'd like to thank John Wilden who did an excellent job of shepherding people over to the lecture room.

The EEE is more than just a big plant sale (though it did rather well as that). It should be informative and educational. And with the wide range of speakers, the plant demos (all of which I missed as I was on lecture theatre duty) and the exhibitions, I think we got there.

I think I've remembered everyone and of course there were many many other people who did their bit. You all know who you are.

Phil

Hello all

I got home yesterday as well, "enriched" with new plants, very nice drawings of James and lot of news and cultivation tipps. I had a lot of interesting talks and it was interesting to see the faces of the people I only new by name.

I would like to express my Thanks especially to all those who were involved in organizing this huge Event!

Also the place (Chester Zoo) was interesting and lucky as we where, we also could profit of the Dinosour exhibition which started this weekend inside the zoo as well. Also Chester was very interesting for me (old town with historical buildings).

Once again thanks to all of you for the lot of work to make this possible and an interesting and inspiring weekend!

Best regards

Urs

My link

Edited by chimanta

It was a great venue, with the zoo offering plenty of entertainment for my wife and kids whilst I was at EEE. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet many members, as I was only there on the Sunday but I got to chat to a few including a good chat with Phil. Got to chat to James too and my wife fell in love with his U. reniformis picture, which we bought. Gert (Araflora (Extreme Plants)) was really friendly and chatty. He was great with kids too, explaining the plants and even gave my kids a free Mimosa pudica with the plants they bought. I went away quite light handed (deliberately, as I had already decided not to get much) but I have obtained a beautiful Heliamphora spec. Bonnetia forest from Gert. A great day, thanks to the efforts of those who organised it and manned the stalls.

p.s. Tim, how many takes did the Nepenthes filming take? :smile: