What happens with my helis?

Pato

This is a Heliamphora nutans, As the title says, What Happens with my helis? case with new growth.

Temperature between 18-25 ° C, light 16 / 8 hs, humidity between 75-95%.

Someone can help me?

Thankss

Helinutans.jpg

This is a Heliamphora nutans, As the title says, What Happens with my helis? case with new growth.

Temperature between 18-25 ° C, light 16 / 8 hs, humidity between 75-95%.

Someone can help me?

Thankss

The leaves appear etoliated to me from lack of light, hence the elongation and almost total lack of nectar spoons -- which should be quite prominent in that species. How close are they to the light source and what intensity are you using?

Heliamphora nutans

HNUTANS-2.jpg

Edited by loligo1964

The lights are about 20 cm of plants.

4 lamps:

1- 32W 2700 ° K, warm light

1- 20w 2700 ° K warm light

2 - 20w 6500 ° K, daylight

I do not think that lacks light, and what I had said and went up the wtts and lamps, but nothing! the new sheet to go wrong returned..

Edited by Pato

Then what would be the correct combination? combined 4400 and 6500 º k??

20 Watts or more?

Show more pictures so they can see of the terrarium conditions

Thanks to everyone for your help

DSCN2031.jpg

DSCN2027.jpg

DSCN2032.jpg

In my opinion, you don't have enough light in there. I would suggest something like these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_245546-58659-NXU-6...oductId=3168049

They are pretty cheap in the US ($18.00 each, bulbs are something like $1.50 each) and provide sufficient light for my Heliamphora. I use 2 fixtures per grow rack and my plants color up nicely.

What do you have below the lamps, as it appears to be blocking/diffusing some of the light. You don't appear to have any reflectors above the lamps, if this is correct then more than 50% of the light is going upwards and sidewards and not getting to the plants. Curved reflectors are typically the most efficient on this type of lamp as they direct all the light downwards.

Be sure to check the output in lumens of the bulbs. I have 23W cold white and warm white putting out 1500 lumen each and my heli minor is nicely coloring up and doing good. I know it's an easy to grow species. Be sure to use reflectors as well, my tank is made entirely out of mirror glass.

And I see that water is dripping of your plants, maybe to much humidity??

I think your lights is ok, but it is on the low side. You could improve it by replace it with a piece of clear glass rather then having that piece of white plastic.

Go to a glass shop and ask for a piece of cristal glass or low iron glass. If possible, get a set of T5HO.

Hello,

as said by others the plants are kept FAR too dark (and FAR too wet for my taste).

As a rough guideline, I'd put two fluorescent tubes (no bulbs) per 50 cm depth over the terrarium (length dependent on terrarium length).

As a type, I'd go for colour 840 as they are available from the major manufacturers such as Osram or Philips. It's important to use a good reflector, otherwise you lose approximately 50% of the light.!!!!

Distance to the plants should be in the range of 40-50 centimeters maximum (the less the better).

I'd forget about all the fogging. Keep your terrarium fairly closed and water by spraying once a week.

All the best

Andreas

It seems to be the consensus that your problem is the lighting. To help here is a link that discusses indoor lighting for growing plants and the different types of bulbs. Hope this will help

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/guide3.shtml :smile: