9 Bog pictures

I took some pictures of the bog this evening - hope you like them.

Overview, I intend to keep it covered from the birds untill the Sphagnum has formed a dense carpet

withnetting.jpg

Sarracenia oreophila is generally considered a very good bog plant, my plant never grew well outside, I think I know why now:

3Soreophila.jpg

The two plants on the left are O10 (front) and O6 (back) from Mike King, both with two flowers. The one on the left is my original plant, outside for 3 years now, didn't flower last year and won't flower this year neither.

Drosera rotundifolia:

Droserarotundifolia.jpg

More Drosera

Droseras.jpg

VFT’s don’t like to have soggy feet all the time, that’s why I planted them on a hill:

DM.jpg

Drosera filiformis ssp. filiformis, I planted ssp. tracyi outside too, I suppose they rotted away in winter. To the right is aster nemoralis

Dfiliformis.jpg

Sarracenia flava (and some flava hybrids) flowers. When the flowered last year, the pitchers opened simultaneously

right.jpg

View of the right side

overview.jpg

Overview from the left:

leftup.jpg

Guest Sheila

It's looking great. :D

The space at the end there near the psittacinas is just screaming to be filled. :wink:

I'd love to see some more pics a bit later in the year when the plants are really in full growth.

Thanks for the comments.

Ries: I used 1:1 peat:silversand (wit zand). See my website for more details.

Sheila: you're right :wink: Soon I'll add U. cornuta and U. juncea in that depression.

Giuseppe: those shrubs are Rhododendron sp.

Amazing bog. Inspires me every time I see photos of it. Very encouraging to see Drosera doing so well out of doors.

My little eye cannot spy any Darlingtonia, though. What gives? :)

EDIT: Oh no, I think I saw one in the last photo.

Hi Wouter,

Cool pics and a really nice bog garden!, wish I had room for a bog garden that size... maybe oneday!

:-)

Jules

Stevie D, if you did spot Darlingtonia in one of these pictures your eyes have an astonishing resolving power ;)

I've put two offshoots outside last year, one died already and the other, well... Maybe they need running water over their roots, I don't know.

Anyone successfully growing Darlingtonia outside mind giving me some hints?

Stevie D, if you did spot Darlingtonia in one of these pictures your eyes have an astonishing resolving power ;)

Perhaps that's a psitt I'm looking at, then. Still looks like last year's Darlingtonia pitchers to me, though. ;)

I've put two offshoots outside last year, one died already and the other, well... Maybe they need running water over their roots, I don't know.

Anyone successfully growing Darlingtonia outside mind giving me some hints?

Mine seem to be doing okay outdoors. They've developed flowers and are now working on new pitchers. They're in a sink bog and have no running water flowing over them. I can't think why yours failed, or how it was even possible seeing as how well everything in your bog is flourishing.

Perhaps you just got unlucky? If they came out from under glass, it could be that the offshoots weren't hardened off. I'd bet my elbows that you could get decent, mature Darlingtonia specimens to flourish in that bog with no problems.

Perhaps that's a psitt I'm looking at, then. Still looks like last year's Darlingtonia pitchers to me, though.

You probably mean the red plant on the left of the VFT picture? That's a S x formosa.

I have two Darlingtonia clones near adulthood now (I've got some 3 year old seedling as well - 4 cm across already :shocked:). Once I can get one one of my plants to flower I'll give it a try.

Mike, grass clippings are not really a problem (happened only once), as long as you keep the lawnmower's wheels of the sleepers.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...