Which S. "Goldie" have you got?

linuxman

Which S. "Goldie"  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which sort of S. "Goldie" have you?

Noticing there is a S. "Goldie" for sale on eBay got me thinking. Last year I remember we had a discussion about a "Goldie" in Italy that showed pronounced veining, whereas mine hardly has any veining. We surmised the veining was due to the stronger sunlight in Italy but I don't think we came to any definite conclusion. Now the one for sale on eBay comes from the UK and has quite marked veining, so this characteristic can't be down to climate. So, are there two sorts of "Goldie" out there? I'm suggesting a non-scientific survey to see how many of each sort are out there (just for fun).

Glad this has come up again. My own plant died last year, so, I needed to replace it. I've purchased a decent division from Ian Salter and more interestingly a division of the Italian plant which came from Yuri ,which he purchased from PJ plants I believe. I will grow them side by side of course to see how they look.

Regarding the veining, I know what you mean, as my old plant hardly had any, yet there is one for sale on this forum now that also has veining http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52294 .To me this is simply a tasty subject to discuss, I will say this, Goldie is a plant well worth owning, you have to see it in person, it's a beautiful plant.

Edited by petesredtraps

Good to see this has reappeared indeed :0) I have now obtained one from a French grower, italian grower and an English one so it will be very interesting to see how they compare

Which growers did you get them from? If they're forum members they should enjoy seeing how things turn out with this.

Iam told he originally bought it as a seedling/plant from them,out of a load of plants because it stood out so much.He asked to buy it and they sold it him.

So there was only one.

I suppose there could have been similar looking plants if it was from a batch of seed,but Trevor had the original plant.

ada

Mine came from Paul at P&J plants in 2010. In my conditions it has only very faint veins, with bright yellow pitchers which seem to bleach as the season goes on. Right now the first flowers are on the way, which are far bigger than any other flava I grow. 

I can't comment on how it reacts to other conditions though, and the greenhouse doesn't receive as much light as I'd like on account of it being in North Wales and also because of a nearby tree that I'd happily take a chainsaw to.

Cheers,

Mark

Mine came from Paul at P&J plants in 2010. In my conditions it has only very faint veins, with bright yellow pitchers which seem to bleach as the season goes on. Right now the first flowers are on the way, which are far bigger than any other flava I grow. 

I can't comment on how it reacts to other conditions though, and the greenhouse doesn't receive as much light as I'd like on account of it being in North Wales and also because of a nearby tree that I'd happily take a chainsaw to.

Cheers,

Mark

Basically the same as the one I've got. Mine is also putting up its first flower this year. I took a chainsaw to a tree in my garden a week ago - much more light now!

I got mine from Les at leucophylla.co.uk, who I believe got his from Paul at PJ Plants. It is grown outdoors and has so far it has shown just a slight cut throat red slash in the throat and does bleach up in full sun and have brown crispy edges mid to late season on old leaves.

Being outside it is not showing any signs of doing anything yet, but as always i have great expectations!

Cheers

Steve

Iam told he originally bought it as a seedling/plant from them,out of a load of plants because it stood out so much.He asked to buy it and they sold it him.

So there was only one.

I suppose there could have been similar looking plants if it was from a batch of seed,but Trevor had the original plant.

ada

I have spoken with Trevor, he confirmed that the real goldie Has always had a splash of red in the throat.

• 1 month later...

It would be interesting to see how both plants develop along the year, even if they don't look so good we can still see if they recover from stress in the same way.

This year I added 3mt to my greenhouse, and the new part is much more sunny of the older one....well, I placed Goldie right in front of the glass and it is still showing veins like last years..... -.-

Little advice:

this auction for Goldie on ebay has a fake photo, as it comes from a friend of mine. But MORE IMPORTANT that guy got the plant from me, so as you can see, Goldie's behaviour can be very different depending from growing conditions (he lives in southern italy=stronger sun)

Edited by prized

Yuri,

Your little present is about 7 inches high and looking just like it should,i'll post some pictures when it opens.

ada

Yuri,

Your little present is about 7 inches high and looking just like it should,i'll post some pictures when it opens.

ada

• Like 1

The first pitcher on my 'Goldie' has now opened and there is a slight red veining in the throat. Not sure if this will deepen as the summer progresses.

As promised for Yuri,

Here are the pictures of Two goldies.Both have been recently divided and repotted,both pitchers are about 20cm tall

SAM_3536_zps7625e991.jpg

SAM_3535_zpsb9b3a80f.jpg

Yuri's plant is the second plant.

ada

I got my plant last year from P&J. I live at the south ramp of the Black Forest, Germany. Southfacing, full sun. 3 pitchers so far. None shows any veins.

• 3 weeks later...