P. spec. Minas des Asbestos

dvg

This rare and small Mexican Pinguicula species is starting to color up well under the lights.

IMG_2022-PinguiculaspecMinasdesAsbestos.jpg

A few springtail/bloodworm feedings have helped it to put on some size in the last couple of months.

IMG_2026-P-spec-Minas-des-Asbestos.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this one matures. :sun_bespectacled:

dvg

• Like 2

Looks like something from the ehlersiae-esseriana-jamauvensis complex. Please post flower pics if you have any.

Fernando

P. from Minas des Asbestos is very similar to P. esseriana. The flower is pale violet to white with some violet stripes on the backside of the petals.

There is another related species P. sp. El Mirador that is quite similar and they only differ from the amount of the stripes on the backside of the petals.

I have to surch at home if I ever take a photo of these two plants.

Cheers,

Markus

• 1 month later...

Here are some flower photos to show the differences between P. M.d. Asbe and P. spec. El Mirador.

P. spec. El Mirador looks more like a P. esseriana and P. spec. M.d. Asbe looks like a P. jaumavensis.

P. M.d. Asbe

P_MD_Asbe.jpg

P_MD_Asbe1.jpg

P. spec. El Mirador

P_El_Mirador.jpg

P_El_Mirador1.jpg

Cheers,

Markus

Bonjour

these 2 : P. M.d. Asbe and P. spec. El Mirador. when we see your picture are very close , may be some stripe more red on the spur but it is not a discriminant caracters, the sunlight sometimes increase the colour caracters.

have you make on these 2 species some perenity and reproductibility test ?

it is a species from esseriana-ehlersiae-jaumavensis complex .

for me the jaumavensis and esseriana difference

essjaum.jpg

at left esseriana at right jaumavensis

see others form from this complex here link

thanks Fernando :likeff_man:

Edited by jeff 1

for me the jaumavensis and esseriana difference

Jeff, it's a bit too easy to declare the differences between P. esseriana and P. jaumavensis on the basis of two single clones....

I have several P. jaumavensis/esseriana/ehlersiae clones in culture to have more comparison.

The two plants shown in my photos not only differ in colour but also in shape and other habitual characters, e.g. the flower stalk of P. El Mirador is extremely long.

Cheers,

Markus

Jeff, it's a bit too easy to declare the differences between P. esseriana and P. jaumavensis on the basis of two single clones....

I have several P. jaumavensis/esseriana/ehlersiae clones in culture to have more comparison.

The two plants shown in my photos not only differ in colour but also in shape and other habitual characters, e.g. the flower stalk of P. El Mirador is extremely long.

Cheers,

Markus

Bonjour

for quite some years this is their morphological difference

see also here

link

and here

link

or the AIPC special issue 3 on the mexican pinguicula and others web site ( yours also).

if you have several clone in cultivate , .may be you show these one to compare with the type.

for me these 2 are different to esseriana or jaumavensis I am OK.

"in shape and other habitual characters" can you tell us more .

for the scape( pedoncule, pedicel) some time it is not a discriminant ,many parameters can intervene on their length, can be seen very well ' in situ' .

jeff

Edited by jeff 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Does this plant form trailing stems in lower light? I used to have this plant called "acension" which looks like P. esseriana, but the rosettes crawl around during winter months. Now I have got something call 1717 (I think) that does the same thing. It is achieving the "crawling" motion by etiolating the stem. The esseriana just sit there as winter rosettes with succulent leaves while these other plants etiolate like crazy and actually crawl toward the lights. In one season, they look the same in the next they look completely different.

I think we need to stop acting like orchid growers and start calling all of these plants by the same name: P.esseriana (which is the oldest name).

There does not seem to be any clear taxonomical boundaries between esseriana, ehlersiae, jamauvensis, nor any of the above "P.sp.".

The variability for these plants is huge even within wild populations, see my posts below with the amazing population near Ciudad Victoria, Tamaulipas:

http://www.pinguicula.org/A_world_of_Pinguicula_2/Pages/Postcard_11.htm

Thus, using simply "P.esseriana" followed by location data seems more logical, or else give them all cultivar names.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

• Like 1

Fernando: what about ploidy levels (see Casper et Stimper 2009) and genome size connected to them? They do differ quite nicely. On the other hand, it is just one (or two connected) characteristic and it came only from plants in cultivation - an extensive population study would be more useful.

1. Different chromosome numbers are not proof they're different species - especially in plants, where different ploidy levels are not uncommon. (See chromosome #s in the above paper for: P.apuana, P.bohemica, P.hirtiflora, & P.moranensis.)

2. P.ehlersiae is even reported as having either 2n=22 or 44 in this paper.

3. Then there is the bizarre "P.esseriana var.ehlersiae" with 2n=32. I would bet anything that this is a hybrid between a diploid (22) and a tetraploid (44) -- both reported in this paper. Thus, the real chromosome number for this plant should be 2n=33 (n=11 + n=22), but the extra chromosome was probably ignored, because the authors were simply not expecting a hybrid, much less an odd number of chromosomes.

4. Some Scrophulariaceae apparently have different ploidy levels in different tissues. AFAIK this has not been investigated in Pings/Lents (although the above article does mention cells with different ploidies in P.apuana roots). The above article also claims they used roots, leaves and even pollen for their chromosome counts.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. I've never seen an article with so many footnotes! :)

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

Good points... it is just one characteristic and not the most reliable one.

As for endopolyploidic tissues, it might be present in some, but probably not often. I remember finding only some small polyploidic peaks.

BTW: the chromosome number for P. bohemica is probably wrong. Or there are two ploidy levels in this taxon - my measurements (and not only mine, also other researchers found this) showed the same genome size (=>very probably the same ploidy level) as P. vulgaris.