Mike King's open days, 2011

Mike King

Hi everyone,

Once again, a new year is upon us.

So thinking of sunnier times ahead, time to mention the 3 open days:

Saturday June 11th. 12 noon onwards. Most of the Sarracenia will be in peak condition at this time so you can see my plants at their very best.

Monday July 4th. From 10am til late.

This is a special open day for the EEE. By this time, the plants should have their maximum colour.

Saturday, 8th of October. This is timed for the peak time of Sarracenia leuophylla, alata, rubra, minor and their hybrids.

Please let me know if you can come to any of these so we can provide food and refreshments. Please bring plantgs for sale or swap if you like (please remeber me if there are any interesting plants!) . For the non EEE open days, why not make a weekend out of it. Usually, there is a trip to look at CP in the wild and we eat out at a local pub or restaurant. Many of the visitors coming from Europe often arrive on the Thursday to get a preview visit!

Naturally, there will be a lot of plants for sale and you can make your choices if plants are not available by the wishlist system that I have set up.

I hope to see as many of you as possible which could prove to be an exciting year for CP collectors in the UK with the EEE happening.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hi everyone,

Once again, a new year is upon us.

So thinking of sunnier times ahead, time to mention the 3 open days:

Saturday June 11th. 12 noon onwards. Most of the Sarracenia will be in peak condition at this time so you can see my plants at their very best.

Monday July 4th. From 10am til late.

This is a special open day for the EEE. By this time, the plants should have their maximum colour.

Saturday, 8th of October. This is timed for the peak time of Sarracenia leuophylla, alata, rubra, minor and their hybrids.

Please let me know if you can come to any of these so we can provide food and refreshments. Please bring plantgs for sale or swap if you like (please remeber me if there are any interesting plants!) . For the non EEE open days, why not make a weekend out of it. Usually, there is a trip to look at CP in the wild and we eat out at a local pub or restaurant. Many of the visitors coming from Europe often arrive on the Thursday to get a preview visit!

Naturally, there will be a lot of plants for sale and you can make your choices if plants are not available by the wishlist system that I have set up.

I hope to see as many of you as possible which could prove to be an exciting year for CP collectors in the UK with the EEE happening.

Doubt youl remember me but I used to visit years ago when there forum was different and their was a chatroom !

I hope to visit the open day this time round(if i remember) . That Akai Ryu VFT you sold me years ago was a great grower. Unfortunatly it has been demolished by a slug :sun_bespectacled: The bog gardens not looking too pretty lets hope at least some of its alive under all the brown pitchers

Edited by Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

I shall be there on 11 June. I'll also be bringing my small Heliamphora collection for sale or swap. They're mostly common hybrids so suitable for beginners. Will hopefully have a few Drosera binata and adelae with me as well. Looking forward to coming home with lots of new plants!

Regards,

Hi Alan

I am fairly new to CP's and felt like you when thinking about going to Mikes open day last October i.e. everyone there will know everything there is to know abouts CP's and I know nothing. I needn't have worried I went along and Mike made me feel very welcome and it really is worth going just to see his fantastic collection.

You will come away feeling inspired, loaded down with plants and a fair few quid lighter.

Dave

I too, will at least try to make it. I dunno if there's anything I can bring along for sale or swap though.

We'll see if I see you there!

I think I can make it on the 4th too, so I might be able to keep you company, Jim.

(I'm the weird looking kid in the aviator shades.)

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some preview shots. The plants are larger and denser than ever before so hopefully set the scene for another superb open da

y.

I hope to see some of you there!

Gulf coast flava forms:

286flavabenchright_2011a.jpg

Some of the ornata clones:

954flavaornatabench_2011a.jpg

Flava red tubes looking...red!

311flavarubricorporabench.jpg

Hybrids:

382hybridbench_2011a.jpg

Leucos including giant pink lip

598leucophyllabench_2011a.jpg

Here some of the plants for sale:

644salesflava_2011a.jpg

• Like 1

Mike - your slipping.

We normally see immaculate shots of your GH - not all that crap all over the floor and under the benches :shock:

Its all swept away now!

• Like 1

Is anybody coming on the 4th July? I do not want to be there all on my own, apart from Mike of course.

I can't come on either of the other days - school is a major inconvenience, and the 11th is slap bang in the middle of the exams :rtfm:

Hi James,

There are quite a few coming here on the 4th already; mostly from abroad. I am sure you will be in your element!

Ok, 14 people have confirmed on this thread, but I know a lot more of you are coming.

I really need to know how many of you are coming on the 11th of June so we can get the right amount of food and refreshemnts in!

Also, it maybe an idea if some of you are coming from the same regions to consider sharing your cars to save fuel!

• Like 1

Hi Mike

We will both be there. Unortunately so will 2 of our monsters! Don't worry too much, we will make sure that they are on thier best behaviour.

See you in a fortnight.

Regards Dianne

Some more preview shots; plants are much larger now than in Cedric's video.

Hybrid house:

373hybridhouse_2011a.jpg

Another view of the hybrid house

839hybridhouse_2011b.jpg

Part of sales greenhouse

265salesgreenhouse_2011c.jpg

Part of the flava red tube collection:

763flavaredtubes_2011b.jpg

Some more shots to whet your appetite!

One exceptional flava red tube

530flavabenchright_2011b.jpg

A close up:

288F262_2011c.jpg

A 'Goldie' lurking..

702F257_2011a.jpg

leucophylla collection, just before I dead head the flowers:

575leucophyllabench_2011b.jpg

Leah Wilkerson pitchers towering above the rest!

867H112_2011a.jpg

A cross I made 8 years ago. Anyone suggesting a name for it?

519H260_2011a.jpg