URGENT questions about vft's virus!

Melly

I urgently have need of many information approximately the vft's virus.

I have a green dragon with a virus, and today i've found another vft infected: shark teeth

this is the green dragon virus variegated:

2499628764_b47a1ebcd5_o.jpg

and this is the shark teeth virus variegated (i suppose):

2498801951_4613a21947.jpg

So, there are the questions:

1-which type of virus is?

2-mine shark always has been healthy .that this virus is contagious?

3-if yes, the transmission of the virus happens through the aphids?

4-what must make?

5-these plants would go eliminated? or only isolated?

6-the variety "Dionaea Variegated" it is slices from virus?

I would not want to infect my entire collection for a pair of plants

I hope that you answer in many why it is becoming an obsession :yes:

p.s. for the moment i've isolated: variegated,dutch variegata, green dragon & shark virus variegated

Edited by Melly

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I can't help as I have no experience of a VFT with a virus myself, but there a few threads on here discussing the matter. They suggest that the infection can spread by infected plant tissue coming into contact with a healthy plant and members have mentioned Aphids as a cause of transmitting the virus.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...31&hl=virus

What is more interesting, is the following thread that suggests the named variegated VFT's currently in distribution are all caused by a virus (bar the one released by Sean (Petiolarissean) to Forbs Conrad). I would suggest that if you do not want the virus to spread, to destroy the infected plants and perhaps treat the rest with Provado to kill any aphids that could have transmitted it.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...=virus&st=0

Seeing as Sean's post is over a year ago now, has any one heard anything else about the form? In any case, it seems good that you have isolated the named variegated forms you have as a safeguard.

Mike keeps a virus infected VFT with the rest of them. I assume an insecticide in spring and keeping scissors clean is all that's needed.

That was the thread I tried to link too, but the link doesn't appear to have worked!

To quote Dirty Harry; do you feel lucky, punk? ... Is it worth the risk? :yes:

Hi Melly,

I would certainly isolate if not destroy those affected VFTs.

A few years ago one of my XL forms got a virus which spread to a nearby G16!! Original cause I guess aphids and the spread could have been further aphids or contact by mechanical means- scissors/hand contact?

Now I am rather obsessive over trimming these and other plants and as careful as I can be. Trouble is it is impossible to eliminate aphid damage and even if you spray with a systemic spray the blighters still will have nibbled the plants before dieing! I wonder if virus problems are on the increase as it is only the last 5 years out of 20 years growing I have encountered it?

Good Luck!

cheers

bill

Guest steam

Hi everybody!

I’m new to this forum, but I feel to step in the discussion being the fearings of Melly because of me.

My name is Andrea, and I grow CP from about 11 years. My speciality is Dionaea. I would have replied yesterday, ma because of the registration times i'm able to do that only now.

This thing of viruses in my opinion is quite dangerous. We know too little about of them to consider a virus infected Dionaea, for this variegated appearance, as just another variety.

First of all, is incautious to say that there is no risk in keeping them, because in some way the plant has been infected, so we have to presume that the virus are contagious.

I’ve made some research about that: the virus propagation is not so easy as a flue, needing a vector to infect another plant (aphids or mites), that moving from one plant to another spreads the disease (in other ways plants shouldn’t be affected, even if live parts get in contact). But is not possible to prevent that only with chemicals, because these parasites are often difficult to control. In my opinion the risk is too big!

Going on, we don’t know much about the viruses. They hardly can came from another Dionaea, so probably they came from other kind of plants. So we will maintain a hotbed able to spread to other plants, a tremendous thing in case of viruses like Sharka, a virus devastating fruit orchards all around Europe. More, we don’t know much about the kind of viruses infecting VFT and about how they interact with Dionaea: is there a incubation period and how long does it last? A plant looking wealthy could be affected? Will a infected VFT be able to produce viable seeds? The plants from seed would be affected too, like are divisions? Does all the VFT varieties react in the same way, or there are cultivars more sensitive?

Ending, a worst thing could happen: if 2 plants bringing different viruses meet each other, and 2 virus get into the same plant, what will happen? It could even happen to develop a new virus worst for Dionaea.

In conclusion, hoping to be forgiven for my poor English, there are too many unanswered questions about all that, suggesting to be aware, and to treat infected plants not like new varieties but like sick plants as they are, isolating them and in the end even destroying them, being no treatment for these viruses.

• 2 weeks later...
Orchid growers users physan 20 to control virus with great success . However the qustion is can you use it on vfts that is the question .

Is that suppose to "cure" the plant or just reduce the chances of it getting infected?

Just found another G16 with the virus GRRRRRRRR! :smile:

cheers

bill

• 3 weeks later...
Guest steam

Well, actually we don't know exactly what it is, but we are trying to get some answers. The viral infection is only a deduction, suggested by other growers, confirmed by the fact that some plants have been threaten with fungicides and nothing changed.

For the moment what we know is that what ever could be, it spreads from one plant to another (but in a quite slow way, so the plants infected are really few), and in many cases it brings plants to death.

For sure this is not only an Italian problem, because one of the plants came from UK, but I’ve not managed to know from who.

For the moment we suggest to keep infected plants isolated, wrapped with the white synthetic tissue used in winter to protect plants from frost, that will isolate plants from nearly everything.

With Melly, we’ll post news as soon as they will come.

What are the early symptoms of this problem?

Is it just that the older leaves go the pink colour shown in the second photograph before they die as i notice all the new growth is healthy and green looking.

Anyway i'm sure you guys will make many more interesting observations over the course of your study of this virus.

I'd never even knew of any plant virus's before reading this page so thanks for sharing this information everyone.

I hope your healthy plants will be alright--fingers crossed---

Have many growers come into contact with this virus??

I think one of my vfts is showing signs of being infected, one of the traps is now variegated and its genrally looking quite sick. I thought it was looking bad from an aphid attack, a few plants were infested but cant remember if this was one of them. Anyone noticed if damage from aphids might cause variegated traps??

I have already used the flower to pollinate another vft, any thoughts on whether the virus can be transferred through pollen??

Heather

Have many growers come into contact with this virus??

Heather much italian growers have the virus problem!!! much of the mother plants all comes from Uk & Germany but it is not sure that the center of the virus is localized

I have already used the flower to pollinate another vft, any thoughts on whether the virus can be transferred through pollen??

i'm not sure by pollen but I think that you would not have to seed if suspiciones that one of the two plants is infect

for precaution it isolates them

I and Andrea wait for the response dela laboratory for the first visual analysis

Edited by Melly

Guest steam

Well, as I said we are not sure at all that "the thing", as I'm getting used to call it, is a virus. All we know for sure is that is a little infective and that it can slowly bring a plant to death. So, it's not really important if it's a virus or not, because is deadly anyway, and this is why we want to know exactly what it is, to know exactly what to do.

"the thing" could be a virus, and some growers suggest this, but they are not phitopathologists, so we are waiting more scientific opinions, and statistically the virus are very rare and the lattest thing to consider.

Referring to literature, I've found a mention of a fungal pathology, foliar blight, in "Carnivorous Plants of the World" by James and Patrizia Pietropaolo, but there are no pictures or other informations. It could also be something like that.

Aniway, this is a picture (thanks to Melly for this) of early stage, when the leaf is really nice and charming, and advanced, when the clorotic areas get into necrosis.

Edited by steam

Those pictures are really helpful-thanks for posting them.

It's quite exciting really because this is such a new and unknown disease and should be interesting to study!

Thanks for the extra information and replies, I really hope it is not the so called virus but I guess only time will tell. I have isolated the plant, if it continues to look worse with more variegated traps then I will throw the plant away.

I think I will cut off the flower of the pollen recipient just incase it is this disease / virus and just incase it can be transferred by pollen. Such a shame as it would have made a good cross for seeds :shock:

I'm looking forward to the response from dela laboratory for the first visual analysis, please post the details when you hear back from them :oops:

Thanks,

Heather