Drosera Slackii & Filiformis problems

Carnivine

I have no idea why, but I just cant grow D Slackii or D Filiformis. Each year  buy new plants, and every time they disappear during dormancy and never come back. Slackii goes black and thats it, and Filiforms just vanishes altogether. What am I dong wrong?

don't think you should be putting slackii through any kind of dormancy,i have grown it successfully for about 4 years,in winter on a south facing windowsill and i am about to put them outside for the summer,they flower for me too,can't really help with filiformis ,my slackii are in a 50/50 peat perlite mix and are not allowed to go below about 10 c in temps,

Edited by corky

I assumed they had gone into dormancy as the plant died back to nothing. They were both kept in a heated greenhouse over winter, is that the correct thing to do with them?

I lost my Slackii while my plants were temporarily stored in an unheated Conservatory over winter, following my house move. I moved all my plants into the new greenhouse about 3 weeks ago, and i now have 3 new growth points !

So don't throw it out just yet, try warming it up for a few weeks :smile:

This is an interesting thread!

I bought some D. binata and D. slackii from HC Carnivorous Plants (two of each spp.), all four plants arrived in great condition.

The D. binata are in great shape. The D. slackii have died back and... well died really! They just didn't like being in the greenhouse. Perhaps they would have preferred to be in one of the terraria?

Cheers

Steve

Maybe I will try bringing one in the house over winter next time, see if that helps. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Edited by Carnivine

I was given a slackii last year and it spent the winter in my unheated greenhouse no problem even though the aliciae right next to it died back (although it has resprouted). Then a couple of months ago I brought them both in to my new terrarium. My slackii now has 2 flower stems on it.

Guest paul y

i have a slackii  from nigel which is doing fine on a south facing windowsill, ive been to nigels and seen myself where these are grown,  in unabated sunlight in a unheated huge greenhouse, i find flushing once a fortnight seems to pick them right up,  humidity may be the issue here as my slackii loses its dew on really bright hot days and my windowsill is rather dry, im going to try one in the greenhouse and terrarium and see if that's a better home,  incidentally nigel wrote a piece on keeping slackii in a recent cps magazine and as they are all available to view on cps website.

regards paul

• Like 1

I assumed they had gone into dormancy as the plant died back to nothing. They were both kept in a heated greenhouse over winter, is that the correct thing to do with them?

How heated is heated?

D. filiformis' are temperate & form hibernacula but are prone to rotting over winter while dormant -cutt of the dead foliage, keep only damp (not wet, not dry) and cool-cold. An UNheated greenhouse is better. D. f. var. tracyi is a bit on the tender side (so I don't grow it) but D. f. var. filiformis can survive a freeze.

I'd recommend growing from seed (the CPS seedbank almost always has some) as they're pretty easy, you'll have loads and will be able to afford a few losses from time to time and experiment with different approaches.

As for slackii, I don't have masses of experience myself but have two little plants grown from seed (slow!) which in their first winter survived some freezing in an unheated greenhouse (a third plantlet didn't make it). I will confess I had them on a cool windowsill this time round as a precaution which given the mild winter may not have been necessary.

• 1 month later...

My D filiformis are the most hardy drosera in the poly tunnel. They've lasted 5 years of neglect and still increase in number despite losing the majority of my binata. The poly tunnel is un-heated and frequently freezes. I have no idea about the soil moisture but I imagine they have been sitting in water during winter. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can get when you can't figure out what you're doing wrong. 

Edited by Brendan
  • Like 1

D. slackii I always found to be a pain in the arse yet some people grow them without a care in the world.

D. filiformis is prone top rot in winter if kept too wet and I find if a plant is looking suspect I clean away some of the winter fluff and fold away any moss around it so the dormant bulb is not making so much contact and wicking up water.

A top dressing of sand or fine grit helps.

Ian.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I have just received some Drosera Filiformis Red Thread. I have read that they need cold stratification and that they don't need it. I was wondering do they need to be and if not how long does it take them to germinate?

Thank you  

Edited by Lou304

I grow mine outdoors all year round. I happen to live in a climate that allows me to do this. If the temperatures will drop below 4° I'll bring them indoors. The species can survive light frosts. I have recently repotted them to deeper pots (>15 cm) and they seem much happier - more dew production. See Robert Gibson's notes on this species:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/NatHist294Dslackii.htm

D. filiformis I tend to lose just after the begin to come out of dormancy. The crowns tend to start rotting. I blame this on too much water too soon and can usually prevent this by barely watering until full growth has resumed. Other steps to help eliminate this are to uses sandier mixes >60% sand, or a sand or live Sphagnum mulch/topping.

Are your D. filiformis forming a winter bud (hibernaculum) at all? Often for me the winter bud is hidden in a cottony ball of fiber..

What kind of temperatures are you getting in your greenhouse in the winter?