Construction of a half-barrel bog garden.

mrbadexample

well that is looking great,this has been a quality thread and a nice update,think the blue pellets might harm your plants,i really  want to do similar next year and this thread has some good info,i have read it a fair few times .You could try that copper tape around the top of the barrel to stop the little sods crawling up,never used it but sounds a good idea

Thanks corky. Hopefully it will encourage people to have a go - I was pretty clueless when I started so if I can do it, anyone can. :smile:  And I might yet try that tape - it can't do any harm.  :laugh2:

Edited by mrbadexample

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that that looks amazing!! Iv read through the whole thread and would love to do something like this! As I'm just starting out I think I might do this as a winter project so it's ready for next spring so I can go all out on it.

• 1 year later...

Evenin' all.

Latest update:

DSCF7063_zpsbwiarktq.jpg

DSCF7064_zpsbf3kys5i.jpg

DSCF7065_zpsdcyirvvj.jpg

I've already pulled a load of moss out, but I'm going to have to thin out some more. Lots of the VFTs are a bit smothered. The grandiflora and the purpurea are getting a bit big. Any tips for how to manage this?

And my mate fabricated me a better cage, as the bamboo canes and hula hoops were threatening to fall apart.

DSCF7068_zpsrvmqusa7.jpg

Later.

MBE

• Like 2

That's what my orchid tubs etc used to look like when Skwirl was here Adrian. She had a definite want to keep burying my nuts, even come through the cat flap to demand attention.

That has filled out very nicely,pity it looks like a litter bin out of the park now.

ada

I know what you mean, and it's heavier than I expected too. I'll probably end up swapping the wire mesh for plastic like before, but retain the steel frame. Should look better then.

Hi MBE

There you go, looking good, three years and full up, well done. As for what you can do to reduce the numbers of plants a little, here's a plan, buy another half barrel in the spring, empty that one out, divide the plants and repeat the exercise using two barrels, it will allow you to change the media too (it will probably last another year or two if needed) and add some more plants.

Was the bamboo for wind protection or squirrels? I cant remember off hand and if I go back to read the thread I'll loose this text. if it was for wind you could use single bamboo sticks with wire on for support of the taller plants, thats what I do,it doesn't detract from the effect so much then, if it was for squirrels could you put a layer of chicken wire across the top of the moss, the moss would soon grow through it and naturalise the effect.
Good work
Cheers
Steve

Hi MBE

There you go, looking good, three years and full up, well done. As for what you can do to reduce the numbers of plants a little, here's a plan, buy another half barrel in the spring, empty that one out, divide the plants and repeat the exercise using two barrels, it will allow you to change the media too (it will probably last another year or two if needed) and add some more plants.

Was the bamboo for wind protection or squirrels? I cant remember off hand and if I go back to read the thread I'll loose this text. if it was for wind you could use single bamboo sticks with wire on for support of the taller plants, thats what I do,it doesn't detract from the effect so much then, if it was for squirrels could you put a layer of chicken wire across the top of the moss, the moss would soon grow through it and naturalise the effect.
Good work
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, the bamboo screen was to act as a windbreak to stop the pitchers being flattened. I've been thinking about starting another, smaller one, just for VFTs but I really don't have the space. My garden is full!

I was just thinking about trying to make the purpurea smaller - it's smothering some red VFTs. Can I take off all the old pitchers without harming it?

Cheers,

MBE

Edited by mrbadexample