Water Propagation

brad

Aidan and myself were having a conversation discussing how easy CP propagation really is.

I told Aidan that it is so simple, that cuttings of Drosera, Nepenthes, and Dionaea are easily propagated in just pure water. I said to Aidan, it is well documented for all three Genera in the literature. Aidan said, nope, never documented in Dionaea.

So here it is, documentation of VFT leaf cutting propagation in pure water for the first time ever, possibly.

The whole thing:

B1cutting.jpg

Nice green leaf buds:

Leafbuds.jpg

Well developed root hairs:

Roothairs.jpg

Sorry the pics are blurry but the plastic is not clear, so it is the best I can do. At least the plastic is non breakable.

The amazing thing to me is the quality of the new root and the nice long healthy root hairs. This means that water is a good media for VFT propagation in my hands.

The photo was taken today, the cutting was placed in pure deionized water 2-25-04. There was no growth noted last week, so this is one week growth and exceptionally healthy growth too.

The SB#1 designation, is from my B1 VFT, which is the best form of Typical VFT I have ever seen.

Anyway, this is the first documentation of a VFT leaf cutting propagation in pure water.

This water is very pure, polished deionized water with a near 18 megohm resistance, which is far purer than even distilled water. If you have purer water than this, then you are not truthful. The container was sterile at the outset, the cutting was just rinsed with deionized water for 15 seconds, so it was clean but not sterile. The cutting has been underwater completely the entire time. The airtight container has not been opened yet. Maybe I should give it an air exchange, May 1 will be good.

Brad

Ventura California

Guest Aidan

Hm, putting words in my mouth Brad. :shock:

I said I'd not heard of Dionaea cuttings being rooted in water and to let us all know how the experiment turned out.

Looks like it is turning into a success story - congratulations!

Guest padedeji

Hi Brad

Thanks for this thread

I had never heard of VFTs being rooted in water, although I do use it for Drosera and Nepps myself

Has anyone ever attempted or heard of anyone else who has rooted Pings in water

Regards

Phil

Guest Dave2150

Oh Wow I never thought that would be possible.

Im doing to be doing around 30 vft cuttings this year, which will be the best to do it ? Water, LFS, or peat/sand ?

Hi Brad, it must be that 100th monkey thing, I was wondering wether Dionaea would root in water alone and I couldnt find any referance to it so I put some in just recently as an experiment. Great to see it works.

How much light did you give them?

Trev. :wink:

Hey Trev,

The whole process of water propagation is very straight forward. Every plant I know of and that is only a few, will, if stripped of roots or without roots will develop roots in just water. Preschool children set plant cuttings to a glass of water in classes around the world, with much success.

My technique is for the entire cutting to remain completely underwater.

I like the water propagation method so far, for the things that cause rot do not get at the cutting at least not yet. I am sure as I use this technique more, some shortcomings will be forthcoming.

The light is 4 foot, 40 watt, cool white florescent, shop lights, at my always set 16 hours of daylength. The cuttings are approximately 6 inches from the light bulbs.

A few more Dionaea parts have been set to water, follow up results may follow.

Brad

Ventura California

Guest padedeji

Hi

I put some VFT leaves in water yesterday and await the outcame

Hi PinguiculaMan

I have no problems rooting Ping leaves. I was just curios to see if they would root in water

Regards

Phil

There is a gal in Florida who is attempting a similar experiment, involving a VFT flower stalk in water to see if it can produce roots and new plants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread is very helpful. I'm making my own attempt at it now. I have a few cuttings in a bottle submerged in distilled water and hanging a few inches underneath a 2x40watt full spectrum shop light. I'll report back on what happens with it... curious if my less-than-sterile conditions will be effective. :)

I'm curious... when do you decide to take it out of the water and plant it?

The cutting has been underwater for 5 months continuously. Time to let it out, I guess.

Here is an update photo of the cutting today. I thought about entering it into tissue culture as is, but I don’t have the resources, so into a peat

mix it will go.

Dionaea_water_propagation.jpg

Regarding VFT cutting propagation, live sphagnum moss

is the best substrate, other excellent substrates are

LFS, sphagnum peat moss, and sphagnum peat moss mixes.

Pure water and pure inert substrates work, but the

cuttings perform far better in the sphagnum

substrates, by having better strike rates and far

better growth rates.

To root a cutting in water works, as it does in every

other plant I know of, but it is not a great way to

propagate, the easy to propagate Dionaea muscipula.

Use a sphagnum substrate and you will be rewarded.

Brad

Ventura California

I am not sure if the cutting would have faired any better in a substitute environment.

But from doing well over a hundred successful VFT cuttings in many different substrates including pure silica sand, my recommendation is to use a sphagnum substrate if you want the best total results. That would include best strike rates and more vigorous growth. VFT are very easy to propagate, so basically everything works. Keep it fairly simple however.

I hear about so many VFT cutting failures by those using rooting hormones, this just supports the theory to keep it very simple.

Sphagnum, pure water, light, humidity, some warmth.

Brad

Ventura California

The next experiment is to cross a Dionaea with an Aldrovanda! Both are closely related. see

Kenneth M. Cameron, Kenneth J. Wurdack, and Richard W. Jobson. 2002. Molecular evidence for the common origin of snap-traps among carnivorous plants. American Journal of Botany 89(9): 1503-1509.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to drag this to the top, but how has your VF water propagation been going Brad? Do you do anything special when transferring them from their sealed environment into the wide world?

Do you think this method would work for sarracenia?

i had a go with the water method and it realy does work...

i accidently broke off a leaf/stem from my vft and put it in a tube with water and it rooted and is now in a pot doing very well...ive now decided to try it on my ceph and neps too...the ceph looks more like taking but the neph isnt looking hopeful ...

tho i did try last year nephs in a larger container of water and gave it lots of air and the woody stem bit rooted and took but the younger green stem died back and never recovered..