Roridula gorgonias in southafrica

Nice pics!

I wonder how old these plants are.

My 6 month old seedlings are only about 10 cm tall.

R.dentata seems to grow a lot faster than R.gorgonias

Hi,

to answer the question of the size, here is a pictures showing me amongst the plants

IMGP3285.jpg

(picture taken by Carsten)

According to Frank Woodvine, it has not burend for a long time in Fernkloof, so the plants are most likely quite old. I am also not sure if R. gorgonias really needs a fire to germinate (at least in cultivation i germinated them without any treatment). There have been some small plants all around the large ones, which looked like seedlings.

Christian

My own plant was less than that when I first got it two and half years ago. It's now 52 cm, not a slow grower in my own experience

That's good growing. It must be a nice plant! how long before you can expect your first flower?

I am also not sure if R. gorgonias really needs a fire to germinate (at least in cultivation i germinated them without any treatment). There have been some small plants all around the large ones, which looked like seedlings.

All my seeds were smoke treated so I wouldn't know. But I have heard from others too that seeds germinated just fine without any form of treatment.

Hi Christian!

Very nice pictures of a beautiful plant! To see this plant in habitat is fantastic!!!

Seems that these R. gorgonias have the size of an adult men :yes:

Great pics!

Btw - i grow all my Roridulas also without any treatment. It´s not needful, i´ve almost 100% success!!!

Best regrads,

Thomas

Beautiful plant! The flowers are bigger than I thought.

Didn't get any seed though

I don't know much about this but maybe they need to be hand pollinated?

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics! I'm really enjoying all your reports here! :)

According to Frank Woodvine, it has not burend for a long time in Fernkloof, so the plants are most likely quite old.

I visited this site in 2006 and it looked very similar to your pics, it doesn't seem like there has been a fire there since. I was also there in 1997 and the whole area had been burned sometime in the previous year. R.gorgonias were only a few cm high. So it seems to me that this area hasn't burned since 1996/1997. Not sure if it is natural for so many years to pass between fires. The local rosetted Drosera all looked like they were longing for another burn...

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia

In case it wasn't clear, R.gorgonias were only a few cm high in 1997! :)

Thanks Fernando. :)

But I was asking about the Roridula in Carsten's photo of Christian in post #15 in this thread.

They're clearly not a few centimetres high, unless Christian is from the legendary land of Lilliput... ;)

Cheers,

V2

Hi,

i have already been waiting for that question :D To answer you, the tallest plants have been about 1.50-1.60 meters tall :wink:

Christian

Danke endlich, Christian :sorcerer:

Which proves two things:

(a) My plant - at 45cm tall - still has a long way to go;

(b) Christian is not from Lilliput - he is that giant invader, Gulliver!! :D

Vic2 :lol: