Sarracenia 'Life Expectancy'?

chj93

Hi,

Do any Sarracenia species have a 'life expectancy' of sorts? Or does the lateral growth of the rhizome and continued production of new growth mean that any given clone can just keep on growing indefinitely?

Thanks, Chris.

This is something I have pondered myself. As the growth continues, new material and food reserves get laid down in the front end of the rhizome during the growing season, and the back end of the rhizome may or may not die back a little.

Along with natural divisions, it would seem like the plants can last a long time.

However, (taking current scientific knowledge) nothing can live indefinitely and plants, just as animals (including us humans) will expire without intervention.

Even the slowest growing trees have a finite life expectancy.

If Sarracenia have a limited life, this means that theoretically cultivars in their purest form (identical genetic material) could be permanently lost one day.

However, as growers have cultivars from Adrian slack and the like dating back to the 70s, it seems as though Sarracenia do live in excess of 40 years.

That's an interesting subject,does it means that one day all divisions of the same in clone will slowly begin to expire? Or when a division form and get divided from motherplants it's a "new life" so it's age starts from zero? 

Luca

Edited by Luca B.

There are Lichen with an estimated age in excess of 9000 years and still going strong, if Lichen can be strong. I'm not so sure about a Sarracenia having a finite life expectancy.They are constantly renewing so in theory, barring a natural disaster* ( or human intervention) should live forever.

* this includes climate or habitat change

...........been recorded at over ten thousand years....

For recorded read estimated?

Or I suppose it could be a recording of the estimation.

Edited by FredG

There are Lichen with an estimated age in excess of 9000 years and still going strong, if Lichen can be strong. I'm not so sure about a Sarracenia having a finite life expectancy.They are constantly renewing so in theory, barring a natural disaster* ( or human intervention) should live forever.

* this includes climate or habitat change

Hi, I agree. Can I ask - if a ten year old mother plant (just using this as an example) was divided into quarters, all 4 new divisions wouldn't necessarily have biological material in them that was as old as 10 years would they? (Obviously excluding the pitchers). If that's correct then I can see what you mean about constant renewal so that in effect no plant/division really has a finite life.

This is something I have pondered myself. As the growth continues, new material and food reserves get laid down in the front end of the rhizome during the growing season, and the back end of the rhizome may or may not die back a little.

Along with natural divisions, it would seem like the plants can last a long time.

However, (taking current scientific knowledge) nothing can live indefinitely and plants, just as animals (including us humans) will expire without intervention.

Even the slowest growing trees have a finite life expectancy.

If Sarracenia have a limited life, this means that theoretically cultivars in their purest form (identical genetic material) could be permanently lost one day.

However, as growers have cultivars from Adrian slack and the like dating back to the 70s, it seems as though Sarracenia do live in excess of 40 years.

Interesting point about the cultivars. Quite thought provoking really.