Nooooooo!

Kess

I foolishly repotted my one and only Eden Black a couple of months ago and the little devil has dropped dead (the first Ceph I've ever had die on me, and it would be the EB :( ).

Is it worth keeping the remains in case some fragment might have survived and will reappear in the coming months, or is it a goner?

WegGe26.jpg

It looks like the dreaded Sudden death syndrone. Where if you pull off even healthy growth it ends with a spreading black end to the end that was attached to the plant.

I would remove the pot from the tray and dispose of the water and clean the tray before putting your other cephs back in. Even better I would use separate saucers for each plant as this diease spreads through water.

Remove all the dead growth from the EB and let the compost dry out a bit. It might regrow but I fear unlikely. Keep the plant well clear of the other cephs in the meantime.

Nasty diease :(

bill

Thanks for the advice. I'll isolate it from the other plants and hope for the best.

I only repotted it because it was getting overrun by moss (like the one in the background of my photo), otherwise it was growing really well. Wish I hadn't bothered now...

Thanks for the advice. I'll isolate it from the other plants and hope for the best.

I only repotted it because it was getting overrun by moss (like the one in the background of my photo), otherwise it was growing really well. Wish I hadn't bothered now...

Is this likely to be disease or some kind of shock that they go into?

I have two Cephs at the moment that have died back after repotting. However each as retained a single green leaf at the centre so I'm hoping for the best.

Is there evidence for a disease that hits this species like this?

Cheers

Steve

It's ok to repot cephs ,but only when they've truly outgrown their pot. When you get to that stage you can take root cuttings also. From your photo I would say the media looks far too wet for this time of year, it's possible root rot is the cause of it's demise. Moss annoys everyone,carefully trim it away or pluck it away with tweezers, that's what I do.

Personally for me notion like " Sudden Cephalotus Death Syndrome" doesn't exist. It is widespread urban legend between all growers in the forums when someone doesn't have what else to say.

There is always reason why a plant dies...

I agree with you.

For me, the SDS is only overwatering+lack of ventilation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SDS is a term used just to explain that apparent seemly just up and dies quick for no apparent reason , hence sudden death.

there is always a reason, water quality, potting soil , light , ventilation , temps, humidity , and re-potting when you dont need to .

the most common is re-potting, many do it wrong or keeping them to hot and humid , and combined with poor potting mix selection and possibly fertilizer in the mix is going to be a disaster. never expose your roots ,less disturbance to any roots the better , I usually cut the pot off the potting mix, and put the whole thing into a new pot adding new mix in a larger pot around the pots first and put the whole old mix plant and all strait in and back fill , this will lessen the re-potting problems, only do it in late winter,so the plant can get going again in spring .

A common mistake is , that cause cephs come from AU it needs to be keep hot and dry or over humid , in-fact ceph growing temps are quite low, optimum is 20 to 25c day and 12 to 10c or so at night summer, winter is not a issue as there supposed to be dormant or resting , there native winter temps are 8 to 10c day and 2 to3 c at night , no frost for good dormant time.

ceph's like a lot of water, but its got to be free flowing and good drainage ,you mix needs to be open and allowing water to drain though , if it hard and compact , your going to get problems , they like good light and coolish temps with good air flow and a good open mix they will flourish.

In the wild ceph grow in places that have good water flow under the surface , a seeping ,running water they like , the water laden gully's and native bush and grass compost for soil laden with masses or roots from them all .

personally like to top water only ,many have success with bottom watering or both . top watering and lots of it , was Phill Mann's preferred way as well , he used a open well draining mix as well. as written in some threads before he stopped going into forums.

away to help with your plant suddenly looking like its dying off, is to get some healthy rhizome and make sure it not dead or rotted, and re-plant it before the plant goes to far ,it needs to be good and healthy though ,it will grow back if placed in open mix or in live sphag moss. slowly ,make sure that there is no rot or dark spots in the rhizome tissue you take or the black rot will just continue to kill the live tissue .

Edited by snapperhead51
  • Like 2

Is anyone using the mesh-style pond pots for Cephs?

I have used plastic mesh orchid pots in the past, which are very similar to pond pot. Plants did fine and they help with root aeration. I read somewhere that a CP grower had been experimenting with Air-Pot's too - I have bought a couple but not tried them yet.

• Like 1

i have a couple of small cephs in a plastic orchid pot (from leaf cuttings) they are also in a mix of leca (clay balls) and sphagnum ,bit of an experiment,they seem to be doing ok but i will really find out as spring begins,they are in the tray method with water constantly ,i must be lucky ( touch wood) they seem to survive all kinds of punishment

• Like 1

Hi all

i now this problem ! i lost very large motherplants with about 25cm in diameter by this pest !

in about 15years i lost plants for two times, and every plants was very large. My consequenses are, repotting after 3 years and at this moment parting the plant !

Pascal

I have used plastic mesh orchid pots in the past, which are very similar to pond pot. Plants did fine and they help with root aeration. I read somewhere that a CP grower had been experimenting with Air-Pot's too - I have bought a couple but not tried them yet.

Am looking at re-potting out about 250 to 300 seedling soon and putting them in pots surrounded by live sphag moss for root cooling , its working for many neps, , mite try a few mesh pots to see how they react , figuring the spahg being so aggressive will get into the pots and take over, but will not be so bad a thing , not seen ceph roots that are exposed work so far,usually die off here ,probably from climate ,so that is interesting .

Personally for me notion like " Sudden Cephalotus Death Syndrome" doesn't exist. It is widespread urban legend between all growers in the forums when someone doesn't have what else to say.

There is always reason why a plant dies...

This is a real disease. It is similar to dampoff, which also flourishes in poor conditions. But you don't need poor conditions for it to attack, just happens this way most of the time...

This is a real disease. It is similar to dampoff, which also flourishes in poor conditions. But you don't need poor conditions for it to attack, just happens this way most of the time...

David do you think its the same /similar fungal that is on heliamphora lower stem ,that is activated in sudden temp rises ?