Could this be Julie Jones

Veek

Hi guys,

I got something to show you and I want everybody's honest opinion about this one.

In 2010 I got myself 2 cephs from Fruitdrop. As most of you might know by now is that Fruitdrop is one of the aliases of Fizz, Julie Jones, BJpostie, ...

So after reading all the negative critics about this person I decided never to call these plants Dudley Watts and Allen Lowrie since they were probably not the real deal.

Because Stephen's Julie Jones comes from the same source I looked up a picture of the Julie Jones to make a comparison. Keeping different growing conditions in mind I must say the resemblance is striking:

JulieJones_zps19a61225.jpg

SAM_2609_zps71cecca7.jpg

So what do you guys think. I got three plants from this source who all seem to be the same. Here you can find some more pictures from all 3 plants:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xiudqm4i6vysu8l/5XirQ8N22b

I couldn't find more pics from Julie Jones online so if people have some more please share them him for comparison.

So the source of the plants from Stephen and me is the same and the pitchers do look the same. What you guys think?

Cheers,

Veek

Veek, i'll start off,seeing as no one else has.

We have all read in previous posts that most cephalotus clones look alike or very similar.Especially when young or not grown in ideal conditions.

No,i'm not saying your conditions are unsuitable,far from it.You grow cephs very well.

They do look similar,taking in to account the different growing conditions.

BUT! iN 2010 JJ was ripping people off at every chance she got,Fact!

So,if you're honest with yourself,do you think she would have sent out a clone that is very sort after or just a typical clone she can propagate very quickly?

Remember Stephen say's this clone is difficult to get to grow from leaf cuttings(pullings)

The only way to be even half sure they are the same is to grow them side by side in the same conditions for a few years but even this isn't guaranteed to give the results you want.

I have two phil man plants taken as cuttings at the same time and they look different.

I would stick with the typical labels for them given what JJ was up to at the time and still probably is(hi Julie if your reading this).

Unless you want to start a new cultivar and call it fake julie jones.

ada

Just one question. How are you supposed to pick a "real Allen Lowrie" when he sends out plants grown from about 100 different parent plants? How many different plants are genuine Julie Jones? Or is that she was sending them out under other names?

I have quite a few different Allen Lowrie clones, and I know that they are all genuine as I bought them from him. He did his best to provide me with plants showing different morphologies, growth habits and colourations, and there is quite a bit of subtle variation in them. When I pass on cuttings from such plants I would not expect anyone to be able to look at them and say "That is definately an Allen Lowrie".

Stick with labelling it with the source you got it from if you don't trust the label it came with.

The clone that is referred to as julie jones and the one that Stephen grows is the plant that is pictured with the hens egg at the side of a large pitcher(not sure if it is a hens egg )

It is a single plant not a multitude of plants grown by one grower.

ada

I totally agree with Marcus above!

Where does Mrs Julie Jones have her Cephalotus? As in the description it is from unknown origin!

I quote

" Fig 2. Young Giant Cephalotus follicularis plant of unknown origins. The pitcher shown in the picture is next to a large size egg. Average size of a large egg (6.5cm). Average size of pitcher is 4.9 cm. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Julie Jones, Ponsanooth, England)

image002.jpg

So, her plant is nothing more than just "typical" ( I hate this word) regular Cephalotus.

If someone has given "special name" Cephalotus Julie Jones just too her name Julie Jones it doesn't mean that this Cephalotus is something special and rare. :wink:

It looks that people are misleaded by this name and this plant is going more expensive....

Koen,

after Stephen label his plant as Julie Jones u can also label your plant Julie Jones without problems, after both plants - yours and his come from one and the same source and can't be proved from where does she has her plant - unknown origin. Many "typical" Cephs also have large pitchers but this doesn't make them special...

goe_C006 clone from Julie Jones, large pitchers

But I would be careful using that name, because this mislead the people that this is something specail but in fact it's not .

It's up to you, Koen.

P.S I would label the plant just Cephalotus from unknown origin.

Edited by dimitar

Thats not an hens egg, probably not even a real egg. The person who produced it knows how eager many of the growers of this plant are for new varieties with big traps and know they can be easily swayed as they desperately want to believe.

There are a number of little things in the picture that just dont look right.

Those common plastic pot drip trays that are everywhere if it was a real egg then that tray would be about 35cm diam and that not taking into account that the egg is nearer to the camera and would look even larger compare to the tray. So the tray would be closer to 40cm, and I have never seen one of these of that design that big.

And the black plastic pot doesnt look right, it would be about 15cm diam. Ive seen this design and again they always appear to be a small size pots of less than 10cm diam

The grain on the wood also looks to be too big for the size of the egg.

If thats a standard type plant tag itlooks a bit small compared to the egg. Its like she cut it down or made it herself but went a bit too small.

If she really had a large pitchered plant then she would have used a tape measure so people can see exactly how big it is, wouldnt you?

Edited by mantrid
  • Like 1

BUT! iN 2010 JJ was ripping people off at every chance she got,Fact!

So,if you're honest with yourself,do you think she would have sent out a clone that is very sort after or just a typical clone she can propagate very quickly?

Remember Stephen say's this clone is difficult to get to grow from leaf cuttings(pullings)

As far as I recall it was Stephen who labeled this Cephalotus as Julie Jones and not Julie herself. For her this is A Cephalotus from unknown origin. So we can say for her this is a typical. Maybe Stephen can shine some light on the precise details about his swap with Julie. But I am pretty sure he's the one who labeled it Julie Jones.

How are you supposed to pick a "real Allen Lowrie" when he sends out plants grown from about 100 different parent plants? How many different plants are genuine Julie Jones? Or is that she was sending them out under other names?

Where does Mrs Julie Jones have her Cephalotus? As in the description it is from unknown origin!

I quote

" Fig 2. Young Giant Cephalotus follicularis plant of unknown origins. The pitcher shown in the picture is next to a large size egg. Average size of a large egg (6.5cm). Average size of pitcher is 4.9 cm. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Julie Jones, Ponsanooth, England)

image002.jpg

P.S I would label the plant just Cephalotus from unknown origin.

Like I said above it was Stephen who labeled this plant as Julie Jones as you can see in the picture with the egg they just call it a Cephalotus plant of unknown origin. So a typical sort of speak.

Maybe the term of unknown origin is the new typical. :smile:

Thats not an hens egg, probably not even a real egg.

If she really had a large pitchered plant then she would have used a tape measure so people can see exactly how big it is, wouldnt you?

Maybe it is a quail's egg. :smile:

And indeed it'd mesure it to since there are many different sizes of eggs.

It's actually quite an old photo, taken long before the craze for collecting different clones took off...

Could you please provide some details about your swap/sale with Julie. Do you also have some more pictures of the Julie Jones for further comparision?

Thanks.

The story of how I got the plant... After seeing the photo above (prob about 15 years ago) I asked Julie for a piece of the plant. I've grown it ever since as "plant from Julie Jones". Other people have shortened the name to just "Julie Jones". It's not a published name. I recently added the code goe_C006 to my clone.

Is it anything special? Well that's up to you to decide. It does produce larger than average pitchers in my conditions but it is a slow grower and difficult from leaf cuttings.

but it is a slow grower and difficult from leaf cuttings.

I remember reading something about this before. Isn't it part because of the fact that the plant doesn't make many leaves in a year?

The plants in the pics I haven't touched at all for about 2 years. They don't make many leaves as you can see. This is only the first year they start to make nice pitchers but the pitchers can get bigger off course.:smile:

Veek. I think the question you want answered is "is your plant the same as my goe_C006 clone?" I don't think you can answer this question without DNA analysis! Considering that Julie sold you the plant as 'Dudley Watts' then the identity is very much in doubt. If you like you can send me a bit and I'll grow it next to my plant for a few years and see how it compares...

Ok let's make a deal We swap bits and then we can see how they grow under both our conditions and then we'll have an extensive comparison. If this interests you please sent me a PM and then we can handle all the details.

I swapped 2 plants with her so-called Dudley Watts and Allen Lowrie but as you can see from the pictures on my dropbox link these are both one and the same plant.

It does produce larger than average pitchers in my conditions but it is a slow grower and difficult from leaf cuttings.

Sound a bit like my "Giant".

May be that is the true origin of my plant, it is not the same as a Hummer, it is the same as a JJ, only bigger! :teehee: