Cephalotus - problem

dimitar

if they're in little 70mm pots (the size of a teacup) I would pot them up without disturbing the roots (knock the whole contents out of the pot and place in a 100 - 125 mm pot without root disturbance), if only to allow them more space to grow roots. As said above, they don't mind being crowded and I seldom repot mine until their pitchers are spilling over the sides.

Below is a picture of one of mine from three months ago. As you can see it is getting crowded but I still wouldn't consider repotting it yet. I have a preference to tall pots (rose pots) as I can leave them standing in water year round without the soil surface becoming too wet.

SS851374.JPG

sensational!!

mine aren't faring too well, not sure what I should be doing differently. I have them on the windowsill, I make sure they stay damp, the pots are fairly large. one standard, one big-boy. At first powdery mildew got to them, then i put up a fan, kept the air circulation up and it seems to help against the mildew. but the plants just don't look all too healthy. . any advice?

standard:

ceph.jpg

big boy:

cephBB.jpg

Amar,

Cephalotus seems to be one of those species which some people have success with and others don't. The one above grows in a deep pot of peat and perlite, standing year round in a saucer of rainwater on my kitchen windowsill. The kitchen gets hot at times, especially when the condenser tumble dryer is on, but this usually leads the the window being opened so ventilation is good. I live in a northern coastal area so natural temperatures are typically low and humidity high. This year it flowered so the conditions are clearly favourable for it - and now I've got 50+ seedlings :smile:

You pictures are in photobucket which the company I work for blocks so I can't view them at the moment, but I find 'big boy' to be fairly fast growing. I have mine under grow lights so the conditions are quite different to above.

mhhh, I haven't kept them under my growlights this year, maybe I should, actually, I think I should..don't think this lame sun does them any good..

sensational!!

mine aren't faring too well, not sure what I should be doing differently. I have them on the windowsill, I make sure they stay damp, the pots are fairly large. one standard, one big-boy. At first powdery mildew got to them, then i put up a fan, kept the air circulation up and it seems to help against the mildew. but the plants just don't look all too healthy. . any advice?

standard:

I would back away a bit on the watering or any misting which would promote fungus or mold (especially this time of year) and treat the plant with a mild anti-fungal, such as a neem oil solution . . .

Edited by loligo1964

right, i've now relocated them. as you can see, they now get more light. :smile:

cephss.jpg

the bigboy now will always be standing in water. of course, I could put a saucer into the big brown tray, thereby having more control of how wet I want the medium to be...as with the standard ceph.

Edited by Amar

Thanks to all for the professional advices.

I appreciate very highly Mobile's help (the person named in the Forum) who helped me for the uploading of the photos.

Let me ask you about growing Ceph - from one month I grow it in a terrarium where the humidity is 80% and at night it is above 90%. The temperature in the day is 20-24 C and at night 16-18C - is this proper during this period?

Do I need to re-fill the pitchersif the liquid is not much?

Thanks!!!

thanks, have got a spray from the garden center, says it works against powdery mildew, active agent is difenoconazole 0.15g/L. Spraying onto the fuzzy little heads won't harm them? well, I guess the fungus harms them more.

Let me ask you about growing Ceph - from one month I grow it in a terrarium where the humidity is 80% and at night it is above 90%. The temperature in the day is 20-24 C and at night 16-18C - is this proper during this period?

Do I need to re-fill the pitchersif the liquid is not much?

Thanks!!!

I personally only grow my Cephalotus leaf cuttings in a terrarium, my adult plants are on windowsills or on my growshelf. Your plant looks healthy so that's perhaps an indicator that it is ok with the conditions you are giving it. One word of caution though, to achieve such high humidities often means there is poor ventilation, this could lead to fungal attack which Cephalotus as allegedly susceptible to. You should consider putting a low voltage (PC) fan inside your terraium if you don't already have one. If you get a 12VDC one, and a selectable voltage DC power supply (adapter) you can run the fan at a lower voltage so it gives a gentle breeze.

Thank you - I didn't think about that. I grow the Ceph together with some types of Nepenthes and Heliamphora in the terrarium. That is why I have this high level of humidity. But I will get a fan. I don't know if the conditions are acceptable for both types of plants? I hope you could tell me. I like very much these types and I don't want to lose them.

Sorry, I don't understand if I should re-fill the pitchers of the Ceph?

Thank you.

Sorry, I don't understand if I should re-fill the pitchers of the Ceph?

Sorry, I forgot to answer that. No, don't fill the pitchers, they produce their own fluid. The only fluid I ever add to the pitchers is dilute foliar feed but this has to be done with caution.

Edited by mobile

I want to ask you which carnivorous plants are appropriate for growing with Ceph in a terrarium? Thanks!

I have many Nepenthes growing in the same terrarium as Cephalotus and so far with success. The only problem is a bit too high (soil) temperature during summer. Here is my setup: http://koti.welho.com/pmatil/lihikset/terra9_pieni.jpg