Slowest growing neps??

LJ

Hi all

Just out of interest, I was wondering which neps you think are the slowest growing?? We all know the tales about lowii being slow but I have 2 different clones of it and they certainly arent my slowest growers, burbidgea is the slowest one for me but it has taken a while to settle in. Since its been so slow its very exciting to see the first pitcher growing finally!

My collection is rather limited though (for the moment anyway :wink:) so thought I'd ask you guys what your slowest growers are??

Thanks in advance.........

Heather

Hiya,

I find highland truncata to be my slowest plant, lowii takes a long time for each new leaf to emerge in my environment but once the leaf has emerged pitcher formation is pretty quick.

I have a very young villosa which I suspect will slow down dramatically when it gets older.

Bye.for now.

Wasted

I grow a lot of Nepenthes species and N. lamii is definately the slowest by a long way. This isn't a plant I would recommend to anyone> One of the fastest was N. burbidgeae. This grew so quickly and to such a size that I had to remove the door from the greenhouse to get it out. I find N. lowii and N. villosa to be quite steady growers.

Cheers

Andy

One of the fastest was N. burbidgeae. This grew so quickly and to such a size that I had to remove the door from the greenhouse to get it out. I find N. lowii and N. villosa to be quite steady growers.

Wowee that thing must be huge :clapping: where do you keep it now?

I don't know for slow growers although there seem to be an awful lot of them around :wink:

a lot depends on the exact conditions, my burbidgeae didnt grow for almost a year, then last year started growing in new conditions.

Totally agree, if you asked me the same question in the summer I would give a different response..

I find it interesting that your hl truncata the fastest.. whats your eve. temps at the moment?

its currently dropping to 45f at night in my greenhouse..

makes me wonder how hl the hl truncata really is..

my burbidgeae didnt grow for almost a year, then last year started growing in new conditions.

Hi Manders - I'm curious about the new conditions for your burbibgeae, what did you change that encourged it to start growing again?? I'm glad atleast one other person finds this to be the slowest growing.

Its strange that a plant that someone finds to be the slowest another person finds to be the fastest, although I guess we've all got slightly different conditions for these plants though so its not really that suprising!!

Heather :yes:

Hi Manders - I'm curious about the new conditions for your burbibgeae, what did you change that encourged it to start growing again?? I'm glad at least one other person finds this to be the slowest growing.

Its really hard to say for certain, i originally had it in a greenhouse, and it didn't grow much, so i put it in my windowsill and it still didn't grow much at all. Now its in a conservatory, maybe its generally gets more light and more humidity, and possibly a bigger day/night temp difference, and probably warmer overall temps. Just guessing though. My truncata and rafflesiana also started growing better when in the conservatory rather than in my kitchen window, even though night temps are cooler than the kitchen.

I find it interesting that your hl truncata the fastest.. whats your eve. temps at the moment?
The lowland truncata is far the slowest in tropical areas. One new pitcher in 5 months!! Temps are now from 24c to 35c, a bit warm

I find my lowland and highland truncata grow at similar rates, in similar conditions and i dont think highland/lowland is meaningful for this species. One pitcher in 5 months at 24 to 35C sounds awfully slow and mine is growing faster than that in highland conditions, so maybe something else is wrong, e.g. light or water? They do seem to plod away regardless of the conditions i suppose.

Evening temps at the moment are 10C, but its not growing much over the winter, summer evening temps are ~ambient UK.

I think the lesson we can take from this thread is......The slowest growing Nepenthes is the one that grows the least fast in your collection.

Yep, seems so Fred, thought there would be more similaries (there are some but also oppsosites too :yes: ) - looks like a lot of it is down to an individuals conditions.

If only they grew as easily as vfts or Sarras!! Mind you, the challange is half the fun I find!!

Thanks for the response Manders, I've just moved my burbidginae, better light and humidity but no much of a difference in day/night temps, its growing better but still really slowly. Hopefully it will speed up in in the summer when I can get it back in the conservatory. I guess time will tell!!

Heather

Manders: do you think it is possible to grow N. burbidgeae in a low humidity environment? i know it was probably an experiment for you but did you have any evidence saying it could? ive been wanting to get one for a while but i have nothing big enough to house it. other than the shelf it would stay on, under lights.

Alex

Manders: do you think it is possible to grow N. burbidgeae in a low humidity environment? i know it was probably an experiment for you but did you have any evidence saying it could? ive been wanting to get one for a while but i have nothing big enough to house it. other than the shelf it would stay on, under lights.

Alex

Alex

I don't have any evidence at all, the fact that mine started growing is more luck than anything. Flycatchers or A Smith have infinitely more and better experience with Burbidgeae then myself , maybe they can help. Wouldnt mind hearing about their growing conditions myself. :smile:

I suppose theres so many factors to consider as well as the species itself.. I would of thought that greenhouse growers experience are similar to each other, as are terrarium growers etc but theres also the different clones in circulation and tiny local differences in the environment around individual plants to consider as well.

The slowest nep I have is supposed to be a n. clipeata (at least I bought it as a n. clipeata, but I have doubts).

After 2 years and a half, I can say it has not grown at all. Maybe he produces 2-3 leaves a year! :smile:

Gracillima or lowii are very slow too in my terrariums, but they do grow. Clipeata does not grow at all.

Mine is a Macfarlanii dont think I spelled that correctly...... But that is more to do with not finding the correct position yet!!!.... Must sort out that plant actually :smile:

Mine is a Macfarlanii dont think I spelled that correctly......

That's interesting Stephen, mine has also been very slow - had it since sept '06. It also has very yellowish leaves, which I'm not sure it should - Neps either side have nice dark green leaves. But likewise, I'm sure I just need to find the right spot for it.

I would like to emphasize the importance of the roots. Probably all those Nepenthes cultivated with "ideal surrounding conditions" and grow slowly or no growth at all, probably they are getting their root system stable again before growing well again. Nepenthes roots sometimes need a lot of time to re-establish again, and that's why probably some plants just get enough water to keep themselves. I never found by experience a nep growing like crazy with a poor rootstock, on the contrary, all the neps i have seen growing fine had a considerable amount of roots in the pots. Even the so called slow growers will grow well again, once their roots are well developed again.

(at least I bought it as a n. clipeata, but I have doubts).

If it came from a private grower...I don't know. If it came from a nursery and it isn't a plant from Wistuba, it's not the real thing. Also, if it is Wistuba's clone 6, its a hybrid.

probably they are getting their root system stable again before growing well again.

All the more reason to pot in a loose mix and water frequently, to bring oxygen to the roots.

Macfarlanii dont think I spelled that correctly

Just an "ei" instead of "ii". Wish I could tell you the reasons why, but I'm awful at Latin.