3 SOUTH WEST OPEN DAYS IN ONE WEEKEND!

dennisB

Hi Folks

On the wekend of 4th and 5th June we have three open days on the same weekend here the sunny South West.

On Saturday 4th June from 12pm Derek Clavell-Bate has his open day in Launceston, Cornwall.

Derek has one of the finest CP collections in the country which includes the national collection of nepenthes (a must for every CP lover), 14 heliamphora species and over 200 sarracenia clones.

591highland_house_2_tn.jpg

582Nepenthes_hamata_2_tn.jpg

543Nepenthes_Veitchii_gol_tn.jpg

Address: "Camro", splatt Tresmeer, Launceston Cornwall, PL15 8QX. email: [email protected].

On the evening of the same day in Redruth, Cornwall John Sirkett is opening his extensive cp and other plant collections for the first time. John tells me he is laying on a barbeque and that all will be welcome.

Please contact John at [email protected] for directions.

On Sunday 5th June from 10am , I am holding my seventh open day in Paignton, South Devon. I have 2 12' x 8' and one 8' x 6' greenhouses crammed with sarracenia, nepenthes, cephalotus, pings and VFTs. There will be lots of plants for sale/swap and a buffet lunch will be provided.

926DSC03133_tn.jpg

170DSC03132_tn.jpg

372DSC03134_tn.jpg

Address: 13 Stella Road, Paignton, Devon TQ3 1BH, email: [email protected].

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Lol Dennis. He would love that. We now don't get any peace from him, nagging to re pot anything and everything!!! I will pop him on a train down to you to get them sorted!!!! lol

Dianne

Fantastic! great to see so many open days in the South West.

Ill be going to John's and possibly Dereks, probably wont be able to get to Dennis though. Looking forward to the weekend!

Cheers

Baz

Fantastic! great to see so many open days in the South West.

Ill be going to John's and possibly Dereks, probably wont be able to get to Dennis though. Looking forward to the weekend!

Cheers

Baz

Awww! Go on go on go on gooooon won't ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Fabulous weekend with 3 excellent collections on view (photos to follow).

To the people who did not come, you really missed out!!

Firstly, the best Nepenthes collection in Europe plus 1,000s of Sarracenia

Secondly, how to cover around 1400 sq yards of land into one huge Sarracenia maze!

3rd, how to cram into a relatively small garden a very comprehensive collection!

My thanks to all who hosted it, the food provide, to Detrek for the bed space and thanks for to those people I traded with for the 10 new plants.

A special thanks to John Sirkett for a fantastic BBQ on the Saturday night..

Weekends are made for this!!!

It was worth the travel.

And to confirm what Mike said.

Derek has a substantial collection of Sarracenia lavishly displayed in 35 ltr containers that really does show the plants full potential with many interesting plants on offer that are not in circulation, a vast Nepenthes house also containing Heliamphora, with around three temperature zones to give the plants what they love.

I regretably failed to get pictures as we were running late but did post pictures up a couple of years back, I'll dig it out if I can.

John's open day.

Where do I start, Gobsmacked.

I cannot imagine anyone one even coming remotely close to having such a vast and well maintained Sarracenia collection as I saw at John's on Saturday.

I could probably be safe in saying the above regarding all the other Non CP's, Completely mind blowing.

Thank you John for your hospitality and a well stocked bbq.

Dennis's open day.

Always a pleasant day in a stunning location, many well grown and finely displayed plants and always something there you just have to add to your collection.

Many fine plants there as usual Dennis and thanks to you good wife for the catering and constant refreshments, Much appreciated as always.

Not to mention the plants on offer and the good banter from all attending these open days and the many discussions regarding our cherished plants.

I think I have at least 15 extra plants to go in the collection, going out to the van soon to get them :)

Thanks to all who opened thier doors to many strange people and all who assisted, and thanks to all the crackpots who attended and made myself and Dianne feel right at home.

And a final special thanks to Carlsberg who helped me unwind when we finally got home.

Cheers all.

Ian.

Thanks to John for his hospitality and for giving us the opportunity to view his plants. What a fantastic collection!

I was amazed by the sea of pitchers housed in Johns greenhouses, i can honestly say i have never seen so many sarracenia before!

Also it was great to see a few of the faces again and thanks to John and Mike for trading a few plants.

A great open day!

Hope to see you all again soon

Cheers

Baz and Elle

Yep, a really fantastic weekend :cheers:

Most of the usual suspects were there, but only 1 or 2 new faces - so where were the rest of you :verymad:

(sorry guy's and gal's I've forgotten your names already :banging:

If you want to see these amazing collections, and to make it worth while continuing with them - you need to get of your arse's and make the trips :twisted: If me and Steve can make it all the way from South East Kent, then most of you have no excuse!!

Derek's collection was as good and as large as ever, if not larger.

Johns collection, well what can I say OMG, I knew it was substantial but that is just ridiculous. As well as a massive collection of CP's - probably only beaten by Frank's 'Factory' he has a huge collection of just about every other plant you've heard of and loads you haven't. Rounded off by a great BBQ and banter late into the evening. Many Thanks John.

Then rounded off by Dennis, a compact but very good collection - I'm sure he has others hidden away somewhere - because I keep finding things I haven't seen before. I was determind that I wasn't gonna buy anything all weekend, as I don't have the space and was doing well until about 2 minutes before leaving - when he locked us in with the plants - and I found a little gem I hadn't noticed earlier (or previous years). Oh well, I'm sure I will eventually find space for them - somewhere.

If you want to see what you've all missed - then make the effort next year, to go and see for yourselves. It's much better in the 'flesh' than in pic's.

• 10 months later...

You may need to borrow the TARDIS.

Just in case you missed the message Tommy this thread was for last years event.

The details for this years events are here.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45547

And it is these 3 collections that are involved.

Derek Clavell-Bate Open Day - Saturday 2nd June - 2pm-5pm - Cornwall

John Jearrard Open Evening - Saturday 2nd June - 5pm onwards - Cornwall

Dennis Balsdon Open Day - Sunday 3rd June - 10am-5pm - Devon

Regards Ian.

I'm hoping to get all of them. Looking forward to seeing John, Dennis, Derek and the rest of the crew again!

Cheers

Baz

Just in case you missed the message Tommy this thread was for last years event.

The details for this years events are here.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45547

And it is these 3 collections that are involved.

Derek Clavell-Bate Open Day - Saturday 2nd June - 2pm-5pm - Cornwall

John Jearrard Open Evening - Saturday 2nd June - 5pm onwards - Cornwall

Dennis Balsdon Open Day - Sunday 3rd June - 10am-5pm - Devon

Regards Ian.