P. laueana (crimson flower) x (laueana x emarginata)

jimfoxy

I think there must be as many Ping composts around as there are Ping species!

I mix roughly equal parts (for no particular reason): peat, vermiculite, perlite, course sand or grit, John Innes no 2. It's not what they would have in their natural habitat but they seem to grow well for me and I'm guessing it's the John Innes that makes them grow quite quickly. I've occasionally added a little leaf mould, too.

edit - oops, forgot about the grit - added above

Edited by jimfoxy

• 6 months later...

The fourth plant started flowering a while ago; here is P. x "Zaphod":

JP26b.jpg

Now I am in trouble because the fifth plant from this crossing, which I thought was a runt, has decided to start growing at last. The trouble is I have run out of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Z names. Hopefully it will be similar to one of the others and not worthy of a name. Note that I think P. x "Zem" and P. "Zaphod" are so similar I probably won't continue with one of them.

• 1 year later...

At last, the fifth seedling from this cross has flowered. In the first year it had slug damage and in the second year a caterpillar attacked it. Now it has recovered enough to flower. Interestingly, it looks similar to a small Sierra Mixe laueana clone with the distinct yellow spot. Instead of pillar box red, though, it is more salmon coloured. It is also a bit smaller.

JP30a.jpg

JP30c.jpg

Alongside a P. x "Zarquon" sibling:

JP30b.jpg

Edited by jimfoxy

that flower is beautiful, isn't that early to be flowering from seed?.

It seems very reasonable to me, I've grown several batches of Mexican Pinguicula seed to flowering size in about eight months (two clones of an F2 selfing of P. 'Sethos' bloomed in six, the remainder didn't bloom for two additional months). It could probably be done in six months, or less, but I don't always give them the attention needed to accomplish this.

Or it can take almost as long as you'd like (I have a pair of seedlings from crossing P. (AL#14) x gypsicola that had been neglected inside a Ziploc bag for more than two years now). I just began attending to these two siblings again - I am anxious to see how they are as mature plants. Rehabilitating them from etiolation has produced plantlets from each etiolated leaf axil, four to six plants of each of the two clones.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

BTW, using an "X" to indicate hybrid origins is no longer correct, not for cultivars, nor for grex names of hybrids. There is no current grex registry for Pinguicula, as there is for orchids and now Nepenthes. The only official way to name Pinguicula hybrids, other than the hybrid formula is to register them as cultivars.

"The term Grex (a hybrid group of known parentage) is mentioned, but the code specifically indicates that it should not be used for any plants except orchids, where it has been in use for some time. However, Grex is now used by some authors for more than just orchids." (A group of people are attempting to apply Grex naming to the Nepenthes genus) - Link to this Reference

Edited by Joseph Clemens

Sebastian,

I just treat them like all my Mexican Pinguicula, which is explained here. I use an all mineral media, fertilize regularly, but lightly with dried insect powder. Keep them wet and give them lots of fluorescent light. Be careful, it's easy to overfeed them with awful results. If you get it right, you'll definitely know it.

Hi!

One last question Joseph, how do you make insect powder? Do you remove wings before doing it?
What I have been doing for many years, is trap insects in an apparatus that lures them in with a light, at night, then quickly electrocutes them with high-voltage electrodes. Then I dry them and grind them to a powder, store them in used plastic prescription bottles. When I feed, I sprinkle a very light coating of dried, powdered insect dust, then mist it to rehydrate it and begin the digestive and absorptive process.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...2&hl=powder

Cheers Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...