Drosera banksii

Rob-Rah

Can someone tell me anything about Drosera banksii at all?

I have seen a few pictures, and it looks attractive, and I am considering getting seed to try. No-one here seems to have it on their growlist.

I know nothing at all about it, except what I read here: http://www.crazyjoe.us/carnivorous/drosera...tralianinfo.htm. I am assuming that as it's northern Australian it will want bright sunshine and steady hot temperatures (maybe like Drosera indica). This is just guess though. If anyone knows more that would be great.

Thanks for wisdom in advance.

Cheers.

Hi,

I sowed some seed recently and will post pictures of this rarity if they germinate. I don't have spares, don't ask.

D. banksii is a lot like the tuberous species but dies back instead of forming a tuber. Its an annual. In my setup the tuberous species grow all year under lights and I hope those plants will do that too.

Cheers,

Jan

Hey Rob,

D.banksii is a strange plant that fooled taxonomists for a while. It is strange because it looks like a tuberous Drosera but has no tuber, it is annual and grows in N Australia where no tuberous species are found. It has only recently been identified as an erect member of the petiolaris-complex. Don't know if it's easy to grow, but good luck!!

Take Care,

Fernando Rivadavia

How odd, clicking on the link above doesn't seem to work... Anyway, the text from the site is:

An Australian sundew that doesn't form a tuber, but completely dies in the dry season and comes back from seed. It's a small erect plant that gets up to 4"(10cm) tall. Blooms white flowers. Will grow continuously if you don't allow it to dry out. Allen Lowrie wrote that it is closely related to D. subtilis, however D. banksii has pubescent flower stems and flowers have 5 petals, 5 styles. D. banksii also will continue to grow until the dry season, whereas D. subtilis will only grow through the early weeks of the wet season.

It's part of petiolaris?? I might have a go I think. I don't grow any of the others of the group, but am setting up a high light, high temp tank at the moment that might do.

Jan, are you also trying D. subtilis?

I grew it once from seed many years ago. It germinated well and grew for around a year before flowering and dying without producing any seeds.

As with the other members of the petiolaris group keep it extremely warm- hot. To be honest it wasn't the most attractive plant I've ever seen and have never felt compelled to try it since.

I grew it once from seed many years ago. It germinated well and grew for around a year before flowering and dying without producing any seeds.

I will do my best and play bee...

@Rob: No I have only D. banksii and some interesting variants of D. indica from the Northern Territories. Perhaps those will get more common the next years as there are some some around now.

Cheers,

Jan

note- should be the Northern Territory rather than Northern Territories- there's only one of them :lol:. It is similar to a state such as Queensland or Western Australia but hasn't been recognised as one due to the low population.

Good luck with the seed. It should germinate and grow quite easily, as with the D. indica.

Hello!

I grow D.banksii since about 5 years now, actually the plants are annuals and you have to regrow them from seed each year. Seed production under my growing conditions was good, although not each flower did produce seed, despite hand-pollinating them.

I grow my plants in a hot greenhouse, same conditions as for members of the petiolaris-complex or for D.indica. BTW, in both D.indica as well as in D.banksii (and D.subtilis, which I grew from seeds last year for the first time. Unfortunately, I did not get this one flowering and thus I lost it again :P ), I had timed mass germintation (about 90-100%) with the following method:

I sow the fresh seeds on moist substrate imedeately when ripened (peat:fine white quartz sand:loam = 2:2:1), keep them wet for several weeks (no germination at all!), and then let them dry out and neglect them for about 6 months. In late winter (January/February), I keep the pots moist again, and within about 2 weeks, there are first signs of germination. It's quite like growing tuberous Drosera, just timed the other way round! ;-)

Another trick to avoid sowing these annual tropicals each season is to take cuttings (I just cut of the top, about 1-2cm in D.banksii and 3-4 cm in bigger D.indica-forms, tip the base of the cutting into rooting hormone powder and stick the cuttings into wet peat-sphagnum mix under growlights indoors (more than 12 hrs of light, otherways they will dy back as I experienced). Both the cutting and the mother plant will restart growth (the cutting from the top, the headless mother plant from lateral dormant buds), thus this is a way of slowly propagating this species, too.

All the best,

Andreas

• 4 months later...

Jan, any joy with your D. banksii seeds?

I am just about to plant mine - I will try the drying out method if nothing has sprouted within a month or so.

I guess as I am growing under strong lights and with artificial heat that the seasons are irrelevant to me for the petiolaris group.

Is this a sensible time of year to be planting Byblis seeds? I recall a post by Stefan advocating autumn sowings...

• 1 year later...
Hey Rob,

D.banksii is a strange plant that fooled taxonomists for a while. It is strange because it looks like a tuberous Drosera but has no tuber, it is annual and grows in N Australia where no tuberous species are found. It has only recently been identified as an erect member of the petiolaris-complex. Don't know if it's easy to grow, but good luck!!

I missed this thread the 1st time around (Thanks Rob!!). I'm curious what prompted the classification into section Lasiocephala .... 301.gif

B. gigantea / lamellata types - but that was last August! lol However, I do have some seeds in storage I could do with planting I suppose. I also have the GA3 ready and waiting to mix up. I seem to be in a sort of inertia about such things recently.

Do you sow direct onto the pot destined for the adut plant, or into trays/small pots and prick out?

>I missed this thread the 1st time around (Thanks Rob!!). I'm curious what prompted the classification into section Lasiocephala ....

Other than teh lack of a tuber: leaf shape, pollen morphology & chromosome number.

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

>I missed this thread the 1st time around (Thanks Rob!!). I'm curious what prompted the classification into section Lasiocephala ....

Other than teh lack of a tuber: leaf shape, pollen morphology & chromosome number.

And the shape of the pistils, too.

• 1 month later...

I will tell you the story that Allen told me.He asked me one day if I would hybrid it with a Petiolaris Complex plant.When I asked him why?He stated it was the plant most related to the Petiolaris Complex of plants.He said it was related,not part of the complex.I asked him where he obtained this information.He said the Germans.Hope this helps!Petiolarissean

• 4 months later...

Well, for what it's worth, no germination of D. banksii or D. subtilis after almost two years. I have thrown the pots out today. Varied the wetness, heat of 20-35C, bright light all the time. Nothing :-(

Oh well. At least I have room for some Byblis pots now. lol

How odd, clicking on the link above doesn't seem to work... Anyway, the text from the site is:
An Australian sundew that doesn't form a tuber, but completely dies in the dry season and comes back from seed. It's a small erect plant that gets up to 4"(10cm) tall. Blooms white flowers. Will grow continuously if you don't allow it to dry out. Allen Lowrie wrote that it is closely related to D. subtilis, however D. banksii has pubescent flower stems and flowers have 5 petals, 5 styles. D. banksii also will continue to grow until the dry season, whereas D. subtilis will only grow through the early weeks of the wet season.

It's part of petiolaris?? I might have a go I think. I don't grow any of the others of the group, but am setting up a high light, high temp tank at the moment that might do.

Jan, are you also trying D. subtilis?

You need to remove the "." at the end of the URL. URLs do not end with a period (".").