Red Cup

brad

Neil,

In my plant the trap has formed a nice little cup, but I believe it is really just an abortive so called double trap. Not like your plant which is forming true double traps and cup traps.

The so called double trap (most common of these rare events) is really an incomplete double trap. Here is a photo of the common double trap (incomplete double trap).

file.ashx?path=%2fDionaea%2ffullsize%2fDouble+Trap%2fDouble+Trap.jpg

Here is the same trap after successfully capturing and now digesting a large fly in fully sealed phase. This is in contrast to what Don Schnell in his Second Edition made observations of his (incomplete double trap) and states “the slow sealing phase was disturbed by the abnormal leaf configuration.”

file.ashx?path=%2fDionaea%2ffullsize%2fDouble+Trap%2fdouble+light.jpg

My double traps were capable of both the rapid closure phase and the slow sealing phase, so actually fully functional traps.

Brad

Ventura California

Nick,

The avatar is just a typical flytrap photographed from behind. So the front which you cannot see is just the usual red color.

Some people call this typical type of flytrap 'Red Band' or 'Red Stripe' or 'Banded'. The red band is on the outer surface of the trap.

Brad

Ventura California

Hi Brad,

Is that a normal all red VFT with a rare cup trap, or a true all red cup trap VFT? as it looks like there are more than one in that picture.

I've long believed that sudden changes in temperature are the causes of mutant traps, and recently after a long spell of hot weather it went very cold for the time of year, (N. Ireland actually had a frost warning on the weather forecast on the summer solstice!) and now nearly every other VFT of mine is growing mutant traps.

Here's a few I snapped before work this morning -

mutoid.jpg

mutoid3.jpg

trihead.jpg

Trev. :D

Trev and Tim,

Wow those are fantastic weird VFT anomalies guys.

My VFT with the Red Cups is a ‘Red Dragon’ given to me by Bob Ziemer, so a normal plant.

Trev you have a keen eye, my ‘Red Dragon’ actually has three similar Cup Traps amid otherwise normal appearing traps. The trap at the bottom left is a Cup Trap and the trap directly beneath the Cup Trap petiole is the third Cup Trap.

My plant has 3 simultaneous Cup Traps (on 3 separate leaves), but yours are phenomenal with what looks like 3 traps on one leaf of each of your plants, amazing. Neil's double cup trap in the other thread is two traps on one leaf. Triple traps, double traps, cup traps, a lot of malformed VFT are being grown.

I need to go check on my VFT 'Wacky Traps'. Thankfully it looks normal.

Brad

Ventura California

• 2 weeks later...

I unexpectedly and suddenly lost my own nearly mature VFT (Cup Trap). If I hadn't taken a few basal leaf cuttings (see photo), I would not have this clone in my care. Propagation is wonderful. These are a few months old, approximately 2.0cm (3/4 inch) in diameter. There media is topped with a thin layer of black obsidian sand. I like the contrast it gives.

VFT_cup_A2.jpg

Brad,

I was wondering if perhaps the abnormal (cup trap) leaves might be a mutation systemic to those entire leaves.

Bottom line: perhaps basal leaf cuttings of those particular leaves might produce plantlets similar to those I posted earlier in this thread, though of a 'Red Dragon' coloration and/or other characteristics.

Joseph,

Abnormal leaf formation with VFT is so common. Cutting propagation of the leaf at the aberration or of the leaf base or will just produce the type of VFT it was before the aberration. If a plant truly undergoes a somatic mutation then all the subsequent traps will show the form or will be capable of doing so when the conditions are right.

Good growing conditions allow plants to show their mutations, bad growing conditions allow plants to show their aberrations.

The pseudo Cup Trap and Double Trap (multi trap) formations seem to be a response of the plant to some environmental stress or multiple stresses.

Your true ‘Cup Traps’ are very nice. Your propagation techniques are so helpful to everyone.

Brad

Ventura California