Distilled Water

Hi,

Could anybody tell me where in the UK I can get distilled water? I have found de-ionised water at Halfords, but after looking into this further, it does not seem to be what I need.

Yes I know, it has rained a lot, but we have a lot of plants and have run out of rainwater, and the long term forecast looks dry and windy for the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

Wacker

Hi Wacker, where are you in yorkshire? When pushed i can use tap water here in sheffield with no ill effects.

For those of you about to have a go,this ceph only ever gets tap water from my bathroom.

Picture_261.jpg

Ada

Hi Ada ,

We live in east yorkshire , nr beverley . Our water doesnt seem to have any strange chemical smell or anything .

some places you notice it really strong . The halfords alternative is well pricey !

Helleentje has just informed me that our water contains alot of lime , because we live on the edge of the wolds . The kettle also is full of limescale .

Wondering if there is anywhere to buy in bulk ie 25 litre containers ?

Nice plant by the way !

regards

wacker

Unfortunately, smell is not a useful indicator and a furred kettle says that you live in a hard water area.

Buying water will always be expensive. The cheapest water to purchase in bulk will likely be reverse-osmosis water from a tropical fish shop.

Guest Sheila
You'll be fine come Sunday night then :tu:

Y fronts and clogs have been in operation :D

Fred!!! :tu:

I thought we agreed to keep those Y fronts and clogs under lock and key until we at least had some summer this year :D

Fred!!! :D

I thought we agreed to keep those Y fronts and clogs under lock and key until we at least had some summer this year :tu:

Sorry Sheila :D

I just had the urge :D

One of my barrels next door is empty :tu:

Hi all,

Very interesting to hear about your collection of underwear :shock: , but back to the question in hand:

According to Nick Romanowski's book Gardening with Carnivores, we cannot use de-ionised water as this merely swaps calcium and sodium icons. So that would rule out the Halfords de-ionised stuff.

We are moving to Holland in a few months, so it is not worth investing in a reverse-ormosis unit yet.

So Aidan, you'd recommend we get this water at an aquatic place?

Regards

Helleentje

Hiya Danny ,

Not quite sure yet , ?

We have family in tilburg and venlo , but we were thinking possibly around the nijmegen area . This will probably come down to where the work is ! Any tips on the best areas for work in the tuinbouw would be welcome .

Looking forward to cycling to work without risking life and limb !

Will let you know how we go on .

cheers

wacker and helleentje

That would be the "Westland" and "Bollenstreek" area...

This area starts roughly just below the Schiphol Airport area, then extends downward to aprox nieuw-Vennep and westward to The Hague.

It also houses the "Aalsmeer" area, which is also famous for it's "Veiling" where all kind of crop are traded and sold to commercial companies and sale's people..

This is the famous Tuinbouw area..it holds all kinds of crop..from roses to sunflowers, and all kinds of food and veggies.

It's also home to the world famous fields of tulips(as far as the eye can see), and of course the "Keukenhof" which is visited by people from all over the world for it's fine diplay of countless flowers and tulips and stuff...

If i'm correct the japanese rebuilt this place(and many others!!) full scale in japan somewhere :laugh:

The whole area is located in the province of "Zuid-Holland" with just a tip in "Noord-Holland"

The same goes for "Our" famous Cheesemarket in Alkmaar, for which also many,many people from everywhere around the globe come to visit!

Anyway,

If it's tuinbouw you're after, the Nijmegen area is not really the place..(of course the'll have some..but not in the extent of Westland).

A good place to live would then be in the province of "Noord-Holland", and proceed from there..but, that's up to you guys!!

Hi Danny ,

Many thanks for the detailed and interesting info . We are still at the planning stages at the mo . I lived and worked in limburg for 12 years and we are keen to try somewhere different . My mate suggested nijmegen because then i could go and watch vvv with him !

Work will be the deciding factor . I gather the employment situation is not bad in NL at the moment.

Another place where we have friends is gorichem which we like . Hows the tuinbouw in that area ?

Plenty to ponder for now danny .

cheers

wacker and helleenje

As stated by cgarry in the first response to this thread:

“De-ionised water from Halfords is fine for CPs.”

This is True.

Deionized Water is perfect for CP. In fact Deionized Water is considered the purest water that can be reasonably produced, often purer than Distilled Water.

Helleentje, wrote:

“we cannot use de-ionised water as this merely swaps calcium and sodium icons. So that would rule out the Halfords de-ionised stuff.”

This is incorrect. Seems like you are describing a process called Water Softening, which is bad for CP.

Regarding Dionized Water, production of this water completely removes calcium and sodium ions from the water.

In summary Deionized Water is amoung the best water for CP. Other easily obtainable and appropriate water would include Distilled, Reverse Osmosis, and Rain. Even as posted in another recent Thread, industrial produced Sterile Water is perfect for CP.

Good luck in your quest for Pure Water,

Brad

Ventura California

Looks like I got all the water I need now, first I ordered a water distiller on ebay for 99£,

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...p=32&rpr=78

and then a friend of mine gave me a water deioniser he had no more use for. I tried it out, and checked the total water hardness with a kit you can get at aquarium shops.

I checked the total hardness of my tap water: 11°dH which corresponds to 196ppm

after running the water through the deioniser : less than 1°dH which corresponds to less than 18ppm

perfect. :)

Water hardness units is a confusing business, I found this useful site where you can convert units, check it out:

http://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/masswas.shtml

Edited by Amar

Hi all ,

Big thanks to everyone for your sound advice . Helleentje was merely quoting from what we had read . Because we are so new to growing and looking after cps , we will make the usual mistakes , but thanks to the forum we are learning alot . Water problem solved after a trip to an aquatics firm nearby . Buying in bulk meant it was alot less than distilled from halfords .

I see things have switched from y fronts to thongs ? !

Sounds a bit iffy .

cheers

wacker & helleentje