Sauromatum Guttatum or to you and me Voodoo Lily

AndrewLuton

I bought 2 bulbs from ebay in the winter and as you can see they are doing rather well (well one was a bugger bulb than the other)

Cannot find a great deal of info out about them and would love to know a bit more about then such as care over the winter and also if it is likely to flower this year. :)

Voodoo_1.JPG

Voodoo2.JPG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They flower before the leaves come out, so no, they will not flower this year.

Feed the plant well over summer. When the leaves die down put them in a cool but frost-free place and start watering again when the leaves sprout in spring.

That said, I have mine outside all year and they can survive being wet and frozen, but they are just a bit later coming up.

Please try and keep your photos at about 750 pixels maximum dimension

Feed with high nitrogen fertiliser (eg Chempac #2) every two weeks during the season. This way the tuber will swell up to the size of a large orange in a good year! The leaf can get up to 18" across too, and the stem can reach 3ft. Try to give it a bit of a drier winter if possible.

greenBen

Incidentaly... it's Sauromatum venosum.

The species name 'guttatum' was dropped many years ago.

There is a rumour of a second species, but it is extremely rare in the wild and virtually unknown in cultivation (even in botanic gardens). Needless to say I haven't got one (yet).

greenBen

Incidentaly... it's Sauromatum venosum.

The species name 'guttatum' was dropped many years ago.

greenBen

Ahh that explains why I could not find out much on the internet. I wonder why it was dropped.

Apologises also to anyone offended my by spelling of "bigger" :wink:

I agree with Fred Andrew. Although I cant think of many opportunities to bugger a bulb...but we do strange things for the love of our plants!! :wink:

It is not unusual for certain members of the Arum family (Aroids) to grow and flower, and then put out roots.

Sauromatum puts out a flower spike first, then will put out a leaf usually a couple of weeks later, at which point it will also put out roots.

greenBen

Feed with high nitrogen fertiliser (eg Chempac #2) every two weeks during the season.

Is liquid horse manure ok? It's a bit more natural and my partner has a horse so there is no shortage of the stuff. (Anyone passing locally is welcome to a ton of it :wink: )

• 2 months later...
Any fertiliser is fine.

greenBen

OK, so my voodoo stem had gone all floppy and the leaves are turning brown :roll: . Should I cut the stem off or leave it be? Is it ok to overwinter is a shed (which will drop below freezing) or will more warmth be required?

Cheers

Just dug up the bulb in the pot and found this..........

dscn2857ng3.jpg

dscn2858wz9.jpg

It has about 5 smaller bulbs growing on it, 1 I knocked off.

Do I need to cut the roots off? It also has a new shoot on the top. Can this be left to dry out until the spring?

Thanks

Edited by AndrewLuton

Wow, good sized tuber you have there. I have three which are about 6" diameter. The bigger the tuber the bigger the inflorescence and leaf!

Sauromatum is every good at producing offsets- you would not believe how many...! Seperate the ones that detatch easily and grow them a little away from the main parent (so they have space to grow!) and enjoy your free clump!

There's no real need to cut the roots off- just let them dry out and then rub the dried roots off in spring.

greenBen

There's no real need to cut the roots off- just let them dry out and then rub the dried roots off in spring.

greenBen

It already has what appears to be a new shoot on top of it, it was there when I took off the main stem when it wilted.

The way it is going I will have a forest of them next year, watch this space when I want to get rid of them :cd:

• 2 weeks later...

The bulb now has a shoot which is getting bigger every day. Should it be doing this already at this time of the year?At the moment it is on a shelf in the kitchen. Should it go somewhere dark and cool to make it go dormant?

Cheers

dscn2893yi4.jpg

Just out of interest (because I can't answer your question, sorry): you titled your thread Sauromatum Guttatum or to you and me Voodoo Lily but searching the interweb for "Voodoo Lily" brings up various Aroid species including Dracunculus vulgaris, Amorphophallus bulbifer as well as your Sauromatum venosum - all called Voodoo Lily!

Is there a definitive Voodoo Lily or is it a group name for the stinking Aroids?

You see, I have a plant that I obtained bearing the name 'Voodoo Lily' but I don't know which plant it is. I've only ever had foliage from it so far and its leaves are definately similar to yours, and several others.

Edited by Loakesy

Just out of interest (because I can't answer your question, sorry): you titled your thread Sauromatum Guttatum or to you and me Voodoo Lily but searching the interweb for "Voodoo Lily" brings up various Aroid species including Dracunculus vulgaris, Amorphophallus bulbifer as well as your Sauromatum venosum - all called Voodoo Lily!

Is there a definitive Voodoo Lily or is it a group name for the stinking Aroids?

You see, I have a plant that I obtained bearing the name 'Voodoo Lily' but I don't know which plant it is. I've only ever had foliage from it so far and its leaves are definately similar to yours, and several others.

I may be told wrong but I guess like you said it a general name for the Aroids species. All seem to produce a whiffy smell, mine has yet to flower though. I first saw them last year in Wilkinsons as a bulb (they didn't stock them this year) but bought my one on Ebay after searching for Voodoo Lily.

Am sure there are some people on here with a much greater knowledge then mine who will let us know :clapping:

If anyone fancies swapping a bulb or 2 FOC please drop me an email.

In my "old" books, Sauromatum Guttatum is referred to as "Monarch of the East" only (eg. in the Sanders Encyclopedia of Gardening 1964). I can find the term Voodoo Lily being used in books in the 1980s (I don't have any between these dates) for Sauromatum, but not for anything else. Using it to encompass all large-flowered smelly, dark coloured aroids seems to be a compartively new thing (last 10-20 years or so), and to come from the US. Dracunculus has always been known as "Dragon Arum" as far as I know, and "voodoo lily" applied to this is still not the norm (though is being done more and more).

The derivtaion of "voodoo lily" comes from the practice in the 1970s (at least) of buying the bulb of Sauromatum and placing it dry on a saucer, and letting it flower out of the soil. Sort of "magical" and like a dead thing coming to life. A kind of marketing gimmick. I think this originated in Europe.

This would only really apply to Sauromatum: mature Amorphophallus konjac bulbs are really rather too large and expensive to have as a novelty houseplant in this way, and were certainly never found in garden centres 20-30 years ago - I remember seeing great boxes full of Sauromatum corms though for a couple of pounds each in the 1980s; and I do not think that Dracunculus can be flowered in this way - as it produces roots and leaves before it flowers.

Edited by Rob-Rah

I remember we had one of those when I was a nipper. it grew quite nicely in an empty saucer. One day it flowered, and my mum thought that one of the pets had left a package somewhere. :dance:

My (current) plant is definately producing roots! At the moment the bulbs are about the side of a small cumquat!!

Edited by Loakesy

• 2 months later...