Sauromatum Guttatum or to you and me Voodoo Lily

AndrewLuton

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks ready for planting up to me. :clapping:

Thanks will do.

Just read on the forum somewhere that if it's shooting with no roots then it's going to flower which I am very excited about.

My main worry is do I plant it and let it flower or keep in out of soil?........but not in the house as the dog may get blamed for something it didn't do :rolleyes:

Edited by AndrewLuton

Aroids do have a trick where they put up a nice fat shoot to get you excited in anticipation of an inflorescence... but then produce a leaf! It's just their cruel sense of humour...!

But seriously that does look good. Pot it on a drainage layer when you do pot it. If you want to grow it on a saucer keep it in a cool but bright place. The tubers rarely hold the bud straight up in a saucer so put a layer or sand in the saucer and bed the tuber into that so the inflorescence grows vertically. And don't forget when it's planted to check it in late summer to see the infructescence- very much like a small black grenade or pineapple!

greenBen

Aroids do have a trick where they put up a nice fat shoot to get you excited in anticipation of an inflorescence... but then produce a leaf! It's just their cruel sense of humour...!

But seriously that does look good. Pot it on a drainage layer when you do pot it. If you want to grow it on a saucer keep it in a cool but bright place. The tubers rarely hold the bud straight up in a saucer so put a layer or sand in the saucer and bed the tuber into that so the inflorescence grows vertically. And don't forget when it's planted to check it in late summer to see the infructescence- very much like a small black grenade or pineapple!

greenBen

Hi Ben,

These are the latest pictures which looks like it's on the verge of flowering. Is it not very early in the year though? I would have liked to have planted it outside but with the forecast next week looking rather cold I have left it on out bathroom window sill and don't want to risk it.

It doesn't smell yet but as Shelia mentioned it may not be to bad.

Once the flower has died down should I bury the bulb back in soil?

Sorry for all the questions but I am very new to these plants. They are quite facinating though.

dscf3805yn2.jpg

dscf3807nv4.jpg

I also have about 8 corns which came from the main bulb. I will grow them this year then pass them on to whoever fancies trying their luck with them.

It doesn't smell yet but as Shelia mentioned it may not be to bad.

Once the flower has died down should I bury the bulb back in soil?

I wouldn't place any faith in any comment Sheila may make on smell or taste.

I have a very poor sense of smell anyway.

Andrew please don't forget that part of my post. very poor to almost non existant would be closer to the truth so don't take my word for the smell or lack of :shock:

It would be a good idea to keep it indoors and let me know if I am right or wrong though.

I think you should pot it up now really, it looks rather strange that far ahead in growth with no soil and pot.

I think you should pot it up now really, it looks rather strange that far ahead in growth with no soil and pot.

I will do just that this afternoon. I will need to go into a smaller pot while indoors then in the spring will move outside into the garden.

Any thoughts on how deep it should be planted? Am worried that very soon I will get home and find the house has an awful stench :shock:

Just plant it so that the bulb is about an inch below the surface, mine are usually fine like that,

Don't worry about it smelling, I'm sure it will be fine :happy:

edit - Aidan tells me it should be 6 inches deep, oh well mine have been ok but you may want to plant yours deeper. :happy:

Hi, most aroid tubers (in fact all of the ones I routinely deal with) root at the top; the root plate surrounds the growing tip. Therefore anything between 2-6" will be fine, but usually you only need to plant deep if the plant is outside over winter or has any chance of drying out.

I think it's fair to say that yours is now, beyond a shadow of a doubt, going to flower!!! In my experience of growing them outside they often linger tantelisingly at this stage for a couple of days, but yours is probably opening right now. Also I think they tend to open up over night...

greenBen

Well it finally happened :cool:

Unfortunatly it was still closed when I left for work early this morning but the smell which which greeted Gill at lunchtime was-(in her words) "a disgusting stench" -and blamed it on the dog at first :lol:

It's now outside but I can still smell it as the window is open here upstairs.

Any thoughs as to how long it will last for and what should I do after the flower dies?

Cheers and enjoy.

dscn0007sv8.jpg

dscn0006dz7.jpg

dscn0004cy7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Even with all my weird and fussy plants around this one still impresses me every time I see one in flower!

greenBen

Poor thing is looking a bit sorry for itself now.

Looking forward to some nice healthy leaves this year :shock:

• 1 year later...

Decide to recycle this old post- :lol:

Am a bit concerned as my bulbs have still not sent up a leaf yet. They have been in soil for 2 months now. I recently checked them and they have not rotted and have a very small shoot which has yet to break the soil. Is it not quite late or do they normally shoot this late in the spring.

I have some Dracunculus vulgaris happily growing in the garden, about 16 inches- maybe they are just early growers :roll:

Hi Andrew

I wouldn't worry too much. My big, mature plant has just shown itself above the soil and has been standing outside all winter. Maybe the colder than average winter this year has knocked them back somewhat?

While my Arisaema sikkokianum is flowering away at the moment, the A. costatum have only just appeared above the soil and for the third year running the A. yunnanense hasn't flowered at all.

Cheers

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...