Sundew with no dew

JoeLo

Hi, 

im currently growing a sundew. Had it since June and was flourishing and healthy. Moved indoors in November and dew faded and now completely dry. Hasn’t ate since moved indoors either but still green. I have it next to a humidifier and under a grow light because keep hearing no dew is lack of humidity. Is there a way to get my sundew healthy again? I water it the same, twice a day and have it under the grow light for 8-10 hours a day. Any recommendations for something else? Should I put it in under a cover? Thanks in advance all! 

Joey

It is Drosera capensis and normally easy to grow.  I agree with Nepenthesman it looks like it needs more light but otherwise it does not look too bad.  Any chance of putting it on a windowsill in good light?

Rob

Do not think it is a light issue. It’s actually right under a grow light in the pic. Usually when capes don’t have sufficient light you get the red/ black effect. Mine is bright green with small growth. Was wondering if the no dew was due to low humidity. My house is extremely dry. I brought the sundew  indoors when the cold weather hit. Which is when I noticed the dew disappearing. 

I don't know how cold winter is with you, but D. capensis is frost hardy although it will get knocked back by frost and then regrow in the Spring.  Only thing is I would not trust it in really cold weather outside.

Rob

I just took a look at my plants which are outside.  We can get down to about -5 Celsius, occasionally lower, but snow is rare.  Many of the leaves are blackened from the frost which is to be expected.  Those that are not blackened are not showing any dew because the plant is essentially resting in the colder weather.  Based on previous experience, they will revive quickly in the Spring, so it may simply be your plant is resting for the winter.  Looking at your photo, your plant looks healthier than mine because of my blackened leaves!  I don't think you have anything to worry about at present.  Just keep it ticking over, not too wet but humid, and move it back outside as soon as is practical to take advantage of the lengthening daylight and temperatures.

Rob

Hi! My Drosera capensis giant too is growing always outside, minimum -5 C... it is still green and alive, with a very very little dew due to the frost... the most leaves are without dew... my friend that lives in mountain sent me photos of his capensis... they die every winter and grow again in spring... but he told me that a year ago, when he had -11 C and all the water an the peat was an ice cube, they all died definitively;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 5:33 AM, Nepenthesman said:

High humidity not to much airflow for a while and bright light.

Thank you! Keep hearing humidity is key and thinking that is the answer. House is extremely dry and have it under a grow light so maybe drying it out a bit