Darlingtonia looking good this year - pitchers 50cm+

12 hours ago, linuxman said:

Looking good Dunc! And no aphid damage that I can see - how do you do that for outside plants? Some dividing to do next year, maybe :yes:

Cheers.  Don't seem to have problems with aphids on the plants kept outside. Almost always on the new darlingtonia growth in the greenhouse though! May have to look at dividing next year although it's only a year since I potted this up.

9 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

Yeah looking very lush and happy.

I have always struggled to grow darlings , my last plant was looking very sorry for itself but appears to be perking up now.

I'd love a display like that.

Thanks.  Hear from others that they struggle.  Not sure why but I find they grow like weeds. I let them form a good clump - individual growing point die off regularly but there's always lots of others to replace them.

This plant really is fantastic.  I always envy Darlingtonia growers who can grow them outside and get them to flower.  For me, I had a plant outside for years and it always got a little smaller each year and ALWAYS aborted it's flower buds when they were just forming.  Perhaps I just had a crap clone. Anyone else experienced this? I find it really bizarre because there's a naturalised population thriving in my country in a bog way further north than me.  

Nowadays (since last year) I have four plants that I grow under the benches in the greenhouse under the Sarracenia.  They flowered for me the first time and are looking the best I've ever had Darlintonia look for me.  I'm not quite so envious of everyone else's Cobras nowadays, with the exception of the outdoor growers.  

Mine have always gone downhill Richard, the only time I had flowers was the first season I got the plants then they'd gradually wither away. 

I've had 3 or 4 now, my last one was looking pretty poor but has just sent up a nice new pitcher, let's see how long that lasts........

12 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

Mine have always gone downhill Richard, the only time I had flowers was the first season I got the plants then they'd gradually wither away. 

I've had 3 or 4 now, my last one was looking pretty poor but has just sent up a nice new pitcher, let's see how long that lasts........

Are you growing it outside or inside?