What's eating my Sarracenia

Deltatango301

Maybe you would see slime trails if it were slugs or snails, have you looked into the pitchers to see if the offender is hiding, I think some wasps can get caught and cut their way out

Edited by corky

Maybe you would see slime trails if it were slugs or snails, have you looked into the pitchers to see if the offender is hiding, I think some wasps can get caught and cut their way out

I have isolated the plant, no slime trials the wasp don't think so because of the size of the hole 20mm dia

I will keep a watch out for anymore trouble

BTW I have some very small spiders around but if they had eaten that away

They would all be very big Billy Bunters

Edited by Deltatango301

It will be a slug or a snail. They don't always leave a slime trail,remember they are in a damp humid enviroment when eating our plants.They save most of the slime for dry areas they cross.

Its also a bit early for wasps cutting their way out of pitchers.That only happens at the end of the season i find.

ada

It will be a slug or a snail. They don't always leave a slime trail,remember they are in a damp humid enviroment when eating our plants.They save most of the slime for dry areas they cross.

Its also a bit early for wasps cutting their way out of pitchers.That only happens at the end of the season i find.

ada

Will be hunting tonight with my lamp lead thanks

I've had ' success ' in keeping slugs and snails at bay using a ring of slug pellets or salt around the plants, not everyone's first choice though I agree , the good old ' beer trap ' method is pretty successful but all are subject to heavy rain which will wash/ dilute them to a point where they are ineffective.

I also collect them up every now and then if I'm in the garden in the evening, somehow there's always a few that magically find there way through though !.

I recently had a plant munched like yours but it was a tortrix moth caterpillar, they are quite easy to spot though as they tend to make a silk ' nest ' to hide in on the leaves.