Welshy's Nepenthes

North West Neps

I think that is spathulata x campanulata, have you noticed what kind of temps it like? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i suppose my greenhouse is more 'intermediate' than 'highland' at this time of year, with daytime temps anywhere between 22 and 35c depending on whether the sun is blazing, with nightime temps going no lower than 13 to 15c naturally. Humidity is usually always between 75 and 100%.

Guess who feels like a right plonker ! :blush:

I've just been checking through emails and my order history of the supplier who sold me the plant, and it is indeed spathulata x campanulata and i just labelled it incorrectly. I must have had my damn non-pitchering talangensis on my mind at the time !

Photo and growlist updated accordingly :blush:

I have a Spathulata x Campanulata too, though it does not like my setup, maybe night temps are too high. Also my pitchers tend to turn almost deep red shortly after opening, yours seem almost all green? This one has not yet gotten any color:

N_Spath_Camp3.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for posting your pic !

I don't grow mine under lights, it's in a shade-netted greenhouse in the North of the UK, so never going to see much sun ! :laugh1: But it is still very young, so i'll have to wait and see if it colours up any more when it gets older. Mine is BE3458, and from the few pictures of this clone i've managed to find online, it seems to stay predominantly green ?

BE-3485-0-14.jpg

Hi Welshy. It seems that we have different clones. Mine is (according to the seller CZplants) BE-3485s. Interesting to see how different they are! By the way your pic above is from 3485. I do wonder if I have got the right one... It would not be the first time CZ has sent me the wrong one. It's definitely a Campanulata hybrid though.

From a grower (this is what mine looks like): http://s979.photobucket.com/user/spyk2002/media/my%20second%20album/Ncarmen01_5-18-11.jpg.html and http://s979.photobucket.com/user/spyk2002/media/my%20second%20album/Ncarmen02_5-18-11.jpg.html

These two clones seem look so different from each other.

Edit: some more pics

Edited by pmatil

Mine came from Carnisana in October 2014, so there's a good chance them and CZplants had the same plants from BE ? Could it be that mine is just younger than the other photos hence why it's not colouring up yet ? Combined of course with the fact we get less daylight hours in the UK. What part of the world does the other grower live ?

Back in November 2013 i purchased what i thought was spathulata x dubia from a well known European shop as a typical 5-8cm young plant. I think it cost about 8 euro.

I cannot remember if it had any juvenile pitchers on it when i received it, but if it did, they soon died off after potting the plant up. New leaves started growing moderately quickly, but it would never pitcher. It kept on growing happily enough though, and now almost 2 years later, the main growing stem is almost 2ft high with internodes now 7cm apart.

dubia01_zpsjaaqfsxc.jpg

Last week i noticed that one of the pitcher buds had actually started increasing in size, on the plant's 19th leaf since i've owned it ! This pitcher is currently about 1.5 inches high and very flat. But it doesn't look like an intermediate pitcher of spathulata x dubia to me (do any photos even exist online ?), i'm thinking it's looking more like straight dubia.

dubia02_zpsymmliqsn.jpg  dubia03_zpsmtd9bvsb.jpg

What do you think ? Did i get lucky and accidentally acquire a dirt cheap dubia ? If you have grown this species for more than 2 years, i'd be happy to hear your thoughts. Have i described typical growth habit of dubia with what has happened with my plant ?

I'm a bit disappointed i didn't get to witness any lower pitchers though :sad:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well i lived in hope for a while, but now that the pitcher has popped, i think it's safe to say that my spathulata x dubia appears to be exactly what i purchased it as, and not a pure dubia. I think what sparked my curiosity in the first place that it could be pure dubia, is that the pitcher is totally void of any wings. It didn't appear to me that there was any spathulata in there. Just a shame i never got to see any lower pitchers to confirm this, but hopefully i may get a basal in the future. I think this is a lovely looking plant nonetheless and also the first intermediate pitcher in my collection. Flowers next summer maybe ? :laugh1:

gallery_8151_931_146979.jpg  gallery_8151_931_209241.jpg

It's a mystery to me how this plant took so long to settle in to my conditions though. I mean, all my other spathulata primary parent hybrids are doing fine, and the female parent is an easy and robust species as we know. My only other dubia hybrid however is ventricosa x dubia, which again is doing fine and currently has half a dozen lower pitchers on it. But spathulata x dubia seemed to be not such an easy grower for me.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Now that my spathulata x dubia excitement has subsided, here's a few of the other pitchers that have popped over the past few weeks, and also some of my newest acquisitions...

gallery_8151_931_218150.jpg  gallery_8151_931_262816.jpg

gallery_8151_931_293863.jpg  gallery_8151_931_182162.jpg

gallery_8151_931_172993.jpg  gallery_8151_931_144645.jpg

gallery_8151_931_109086.jpg  gallery_8151_931_258732.jpg

And just for the heck of it...

gallery_8151_931_78615.jpg

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers chaps.

This is the biggest plant in my collection so far, n.boschiana.

gallery_8151_931_186447.jpg

I acquired the plant from Carnivoria in July 2014, ordered as a typical 8 to 12cm specimen. But when it arrived, it was more like 9 inches in diameter and already putting out pitchers of 3 to 4 inches high. Now just 15 months later, the plant has a leaf span of 28 inches excluding tendrils which are 14 inches long. The latest pitcher in the above photo is 9 inches tall.

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 5