19Silverman93

Hi fellas & fella-esses,

For some time now I've been squirreling bits of money away to save up for one of the more flamboyant species of nepenthes and though now I've accumulated enough I'm torn between the two most obvious contenders,

In the red corner, I have N. Robcantleyi, a sometimes controversial but thoroughly beautiful species, and in the blue corner I have N. Hamata, of course know for it's fierce looking toothed peristome. Now, my question is, How tough are these to grow outside a terrarium or greenhouse setting? I have heard reports of both being grown in average room conditions but will they survive and pitcher that way, and which would you recommend personally?

EDIT: btw, room conditions for me = 18-27C and humidity between 40-55%

Edited by 19Silverman93

N. robcantleyi is surely easier than N. hamata. N. hamata is an ultrahighlander while N. robcantleyi is just a regular highlander.

i agree with dave that robc will be your best money spent,my AW hamata i have had for a year and has grown well (for my conditions) but did sulk after the hottest summer months,robc has grown well all year but seems to deal with the warmer nights better,both are grown open to my house humidity and temps,but i only have one plant of each so these are my experiences of my two plants,both plants are in my pic thread in plants in cultivation to give an idea how they grow in house conditions,my brother also has a robc that is growing well on a window sill,dunno about ultra highland dave i hear hamata can be quite tolerant of warmer than ultra highland temps,

Edited by corky

Well, looks like it'll be the rob then! maybe if I can get a half decent highland tank set up I'll invest in a Hamata :D

well, that's one N. robcantleyi ordered from matt soper- should be with me tomorrow! I don't think I've been this excited about a new nep for a while :D

• Like 1

just to whip up some more excitement when i got home from work my robc had popped a new pitcher flowerstalkvft12102012383_zpse86caf0d.jpg :dance4:

I feel like a little kid at christmas time again :smile:

Not a bad choice, it's a great plant. Although you shouldn't have much problem with hamata, especially up your way - just give it good light and keep it above 5C over winter, that's all I do. My hamata is grown in an open cabinet outside -Spring to Autumn and closed up with lights and a touch of heat in the Winter. So an unheated room should be fine if you have one.

Just to wet your appetite even more. Here are a couple of pic's of two of mine - they are darker in real life than these pic's appear to show.

001a_zpsd78ec8b2.jpg

002a_zpsa2557546.jpg

Remember, they get quite big - this one is still only small.

003a_zps315a39d1.jpg

And a second plant

004a_zpsf7ce0849.jpg

• Like 1

crikey Phil, that does look like a decent sized plant, how long did yours take to reach that size? I shall look forward to seeing mine get that large :D on the subject of hamata, I'm not sure how well it'd really do with me after what I've heard, I do my growing in my bedroom and the coldest I ever let it get is about 18c at night (otherise I'd freeze my nadjers off! :laugh1:) maybe if I can get a highland tank set up I'll grab one, as it really is a fantastically alien looking species even by CP standards.

I got them 4 years ago and they were about the size of my thumb nail.

I do my growing in my bedroom and the coldest I ever let it get is about 18c at night (otherise I'd freeze my nadjers off! :laugh1:)

I thought you lot were tough 'up North' :girl_dance: That's about as warm as my bedroom gets in the winter.

I got them 4 years ago and they were about the size of my thumb nail. I thought you lot were tough 'up North' :girl_dance: That's about as warm as my bedroom gets in the winter.

grown a bit since then eh? :D haha,well my dad sleeps with the window open even in winter! I think I inherited me mam's internal thermostat -she's forever cold so I blame her for my love of the warm

Well here it is at last :D just a tiddler at the moment though. hopefully it'll settle in quickly though

ZSsFPSs.jpg

that picher- not quite the winged beauty it'll produce in time but still decent

OgfqmAU.jpg

and shots with a ruler:

Zz7yhkE.jpg

akoQVYf.jpg

and yes. that is my workbench in the background :smile:

• Like 2

very nice,got a more mature looking pitcher than mine had,still surprises me how some are big plants like phils and some are so small from the same sowing

am I to to assume then that the original run of seed grown Rob's is still in stock with some suppliers? and that it's not very prevalent in TC yet?

Good news Sam, glad to see you got one :)

Thanks mate, been saving for this for a good few months now, :smile: hopefully it'll settle in quickly!

• 1 month later...

just an update, my new robc has turned that little pitcher nubbin you saw in the first photo's into this...

PGRWfZk.jpg

VERY happy right now :D

Edited by 19Silverman93
  • Like 2

nice,it has settled in very well

aye, I've been acclimating it slowly, only exposed it to normal room conditions last week. Still well pleased though :D

That pitcher looks almost exactly like my N. Bellii x Truncata.

I actually have a bellii x robcantleyi with a lower pitcher out and it does resemble that quite strongly so given the closeness of the relation between truncata and robcanleyi I can definitely see what you mean.

• 8 months later...

bit of an update on the robcantleyi front: I've had the plant for nearly 10 months now and it has proved it's self a slow but relentless grower, putting out leaf after pitcher after leaf after pitcher. it was the only nep I have that never missed a beat over winter when everything else slowed right down.it's just opened it's latest pitcher a day or two ago :D

shot from above:

zmNQ8iQ.jpg

and another of it's newest pitcher :smile:

4ylNViU.jpg

• Like 2