1 year old Cephalotus plants.

Hi all,

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the Cephalotus plants which I started from seed last December. Both plants are growing well, if slowly, with no problems with fungus etc,. They are about 20mm diameter and have just started to sprout the 2 new shoots as you can see in the photos.

I'm really happy with them.

113-12-2012_zps19ca7593.jpg

213-12-2012_zps91dbac66.jpg

Edited by Ian_P

Cute little fellows aren't they :D

I know, I keep finding myself drawn to the grow room! :D

`Well coloured the first one, in spite of beeing small yet!

Yes, that's strange as both plants are under the same light, but one has much more red in it.

Nice plants. It's a painfully slow process waiting for them to grow, isn't it? I've got seed grown plants looking very similar. The 'Eden Black' **2 seem to grow a bit faster, though.

They are very slow. I've just put some more seeds in, which I got from a different supplier, so I'm hoping they germinate. Had 2 out of 3 germinate last year, so I was very pleased with those.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

The one plant has had a bit of a growth spurt recently, with both plants producing their first vegetative leaves.

IMAG0120.jpg

Ian-how long did it take before they sprouted? i have a batch of fresh seeds that I sowed in October 2012. It's half a year later, and there are still seeds just starting to sprout as we speak!

I heard if you stare at them for long enough, they'll grow faster :chiffa:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

meizwang, Sorry, I didn't answer the question did I?

They were sown on 8/12/2011 and if I remember correctly, they germinated around March/April of 2012. I kept the 3rd pot until this spring but there was no sign of life, so that got recycled.

I did buy a pack of around 15 Cephalotus seeds from an eBay seller last November/December but not a single seed has germinated. I don't think I've had any good seeds from eBay yet, even the chilli seeds I bought were rubbish!

Anyway, here's an update. I think the larger of the 2 seedlings may be forming its first adult pitcher judging from the little ridges on its sides. I won't know for sure until it opens its lid. Here are some pics I took this afternoon, of the 2 plants, with a 5 pence and 10 cent (Euro) for scale.

Plant 1 showing the new pitcher,

04-05-2013.jpg

A close-up of the new pitcher,

CephalotusMacro.jpg

Plant 1&2 with coins,

04-05-20133.jpg

04-05-20134.jpg

I'll post another picture when the pitcher opens and I know for sure if it's an adult one.

Regards,

Ian.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Today I had my first adult pitcher open it's lid.

The plants are now approximately 18 months old and the second plant is still only producing tiny pitchers. It's funny how seeds from the same source can grow at such different rates!

Here's the new pitcher, which had only been open for about 30 minutes.

Cephalotus_27-5-13.jpg

Close up.

Cephalotus_27-5-13_Close.jpg

Regards,

Ian.