U. jamesoniana flower

RL7836

I posted this as part of a longer, ongoing utric info-sharing thread on another forum but thought I should also share on this side of the pond ... 8^)

The U. jamesoniana opened it's 1st flower a few days ago, so this weekend I took it out for pics & pollination.

Ujamesonianaflowerfront052812RS.jpg

Ujamesoniana3-4052812RS.jpg

and the treefern plaque (one flower & at least 2 more buds)

Ujamesonianaplaque-flower052812RS.jpg

On a completely different topic - a cross I made last year (but just now getting some size)

Unephroxnelumbi052712RS.jpg

I know some others have posted pics with this cross but I was still quite shocked by how much the leaves have morphed into a reniformis shape. For me, this wasn't at all obvious given the leaf shapes of the two parents.

.... and last a quick pic of one of the two alpina's currently flowering

Ualpinaxhumboflower052612RS.jpg

..... and really last - a link to some U. asplundii flower pics that I posted in other threads but not here.

Nice pictures Ron, I make the same hybrid.

Do you have flower pictures?

No - no flowers yet. It still has some growing to do. I found the leaf shape interesting and thought I'd share.

I was very happy that I had germinations - many / most of my hybrid attempts either do not produce any seed or the seed is produced but does not germinate - very frustrating!

• 1 month later...

A quick follow-up pic with the U. jamesoniana. It seems that each time I take the plaque down, I find another new stalk (now 6). The pod in the middle was the 1st flower & it was pollinated w/ U. asplundi (& it seems to have taken - but we'll see). I tried to use U. alpina pollen for the bottom two but none of the 5-6 flowers I have open had any really useable pollen (what's up w/ that??).

Ujames3-4062612RS.jpg

One of the interesting things with this plant (for me anyway) was that I originally placed a small start in dead sphagnum in the middle of this plaque. As you can see in this current pic, the plant has mostly avoided this middle area where it was started and colonized both above & below the original (but outside the sphagnum).

Edited by RL7836

Very nice -and congrats to your hybridization success!

Well, I won't know about success until there are germinations. The Orchidioides find many ways to fail for me ... :banging: Here's a pic of the harvested seed --- really like dust.

Ujamesxasplundiiseed070412.jpg

Hi there,

nice cross you did! Hope they germinate quickly! My U. jamesoniana is flowering too at the moment - I will try to cross pollinate it with U. quelchii and I hope it works!?!

Would be an interesting cross I think.

My U. alpina flowered also, but it's completly selffertile and it produces huge amount of seeds every year. I have now 2 years old seedlings and last year most of the seeds germinated in the seedpot...

I have to sell the seeds this year! ;-)

cheers

Marc