Provado Ultimate Bug Killer

Well, im soon to get some in the post. I dont know how to use it though! I was wondering if someone could give me a small guide on how many sprays, where to spray, how long til next spray, can it be left outside.

These instructions should apply to sundews, vft, sarracenia and purps (Does it matter if the insecticide gets in the pitcher?)

Thankyou everybody, ive made a massive order from wilkinsons of stacks of pots, labels, trays and provado!

Its a good price that id recomend to those in the uk, off the topic but does anyone else know any cheap online garden centres?

Thanks again

Hayden :suicide_fool-edit:

Hi Hayden

I've used this stuff before and it's pretty good. The best idea will be to follow the instructions on the label, a few sprays every now and then will kill off most bugs. CP's aren't fragile and you're not going to flood the pitcher either.

Cheers

Alex.

be aware sundews do not like it on there foilage it wont kill them just make them sulk for a bit they soon get over it, you don't mention what pest you have a problem with? i personally wouldn't spray for prevention unless i could see a problem .

does it send pakkages to holland?

I dont think so, but im sure someone will send it your way

Hayden, like others say you should only need a light squirt as it says on the packet.

Before i sprayed it i absolutley soaked a Vft and its soil with it just to test it. That plant looked ok a week later So i went and sprayed everything--except sundews.

I dont know about cheap garden centres online, what were you loooking for?

Edited by PatsPlants

.....you don't mention what pest you have a problem with? i personally wouldn't spray for prevention unless i could see a problem .

This is a good point, no point in spraying if you don't need to. But I'm sure that you know that anyway:)

Alex.

I have either aphids or springtails (Im trying to descide what they are, I think springtails. I know they arnt much harm but id like to get rid of too many of them)

I also think one of my vft has a fungus gnat larvae, I could have sworn ive seen one leave it from a tiny hole. How would you apply it to that? Would the soil need to be dry or really wet?

Thanks, Hayden

Hey everyone, thankyou for the help so far.

Springtails are a slight problem, but aphids could be in my plant and im pretty sure ive seen a fungus gnat. For fungus gnat is there much point in spraying the plant and just aim for the compost?

Thanks, Hayden

Not sure I've ever seen a springtail so cant help on that one. Fungus gnat larvae I hate, the little flies are everywhere - most people say they dont do much harm except perhaps to very small plants, not supposed to be much of a problem for vfts - I do have problems with some heavily infested pots and tend to spray the peat until the little blighters come to the surface and subsequently die.

Unless its a heavy infestation I wouldnt worry too much, I have them in so many pots! Its a constant battle to keep them under control! Does no-one else find this?? Or notice deteriorating vft health only to find the pot infested?? Ofcourse there are some other pots full of them with no problems at all, I wonder if they have a little nibble and it becomes infected on some plants?

If you have simply seen one little fly then not sure thats a reason to spray - I'd only spray for actual confirmed problems never for prevention. As for aphids - if your plant has them you can usually see them!! Or the effects at least - they usually cause sickly plants with deformed traps......

• 2 weeks later...

Why do some people have a thing against springtails??????

The ones I have are fantastic creatures for processing decaying material and refreshing the very top layer of compost by keeping surface moulds and fungi away. They are also great food for sticky plants when they jump too high! I positively encourage them.

Some animals are actually beneficial to plants; there is such a thing as symbiosis in the natural world. Please don't just assume something is a pest.

I have seen little evidence that they will attack living material. Perhaps one or two species do, or if there is a huge overpopulation and little decaying material to eat, then maybe they will, but I have seen no evidence amongst my plants.

Aphids are about as similar to a springtail as a zebra is to a manatee. Just google both for photos and have a close up look at what you have. Springtails populate the compost surface, aphids will be on your plants.

Fungus gnat larvae are a problem for me only with my mexican ping seedlings but I do not grow VFTs indoors. They generally eat slime (algae) but, if there is a too high population density, they will eat soft fleshy plant material in or touching the surface of the compost.

Edited by jimfoxy

You say that some have wings. This would imply that others do not. It sounds very much like blackfly or aphid to me.

Beetles have wings but they are folded away under their elytra (wing cases/shells) and you only ever usually see them when they are flying or just about to fly.