Is it Drosera alba?

Sockhom

Hello,

I've bought this plant from Extremeplants as Drosera cistiflora.

It looks to me that it is D. alba.

I've asked Gert and he told me that he once sold D. alba and that there is a very small chance that my cistiflora is alba after all (maybe he has mixed things in his TC lab? He didn't explained clearly).

D.cistiflora should develop a stem with some oblanceolate or lanceolate leaves.

But my plant, after the rosette stage, developped filiformed leaves just like D. alba.

After the picture below, my plant started to slowly turn brown (I received it in june, it "died" in august). I thought it might have gone dormant and I pulled out the green leaves and made cuttings. The rosette in the upper right part of the picture is the same plant. It developped the filiform leaves too.

s6000003ws8.jpg

w600.png

Here are some of the seedlings from cuttings (leaf cuttings were very easy).

As you see after having developped a rosette, they are already developping those filiform leaves:

s6000554hn8.jpg

w800.png

s6000557xa1.jpg

w800.png

s6000558td1.jpg

w800.png

So what do you think? Is it D. cistiflora or D. alba?

François.

Edited by Sockhom

Dear François,

Congrats, you are one of the few CPers to grow the rare D. alba! ;) (the real thing!)

Andreas

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile::wink:

Thanks Andreas!

François.

Hello François,

I've bought my plants also from Gert and I had a discussion with him in Mira. :cheers:

( with a few beers in the Italian restaurant )

And he said that it must be D.cistiflora , I 've bought my plant at Carniflora ( May 2008 ).

The plant flowered a few weeks later and it was definitely not D.cistiflora :wink:

Here are a few pictures ,unfortunately the flower didn't open. ( I guess it was too hot )

img1686go6.jpg

img1746mw3.jpg

img1750pp7.jpg

img2331xl5.jpg

The motherplant died also a few weeks after flowering,but is showing new growth since November.

The leafcuttings grow very fast since the temperatures are colder at night.

And I think you are not only person , mrAlmond and others grow the same plant :smile:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...c=29720&hl=

Thanks to Andreas for the affirmation and thanks to Gert for this beauty. :wink:

Cheers,

Iggy

Hi all,

i have the same plant from Gert too, i received it a week before Mira.

First i developed the longer leafes and since a few weeks it´s pushing the shorter ones in a flat rosette (like in the left upper corner of the picture), but it has not flowered till now.

From the longer leafes leafcuttings work really perfect, often 2 plants on one leaf. :smile:

It´s a really nice plant.

François, nice to see again some pictures from you, good shots. :wink:

Iggy, wonderful plant and nice pictures, what a pity that the flower did not opened.

Andreas, good to hear that it´s D. alba.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Wow, that flower scape really nails it! D.alba it certainly is.

Yeah, don't tell Gert, he'll increase the prices when he finds out he's selling a rarer plant! :)

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Dear All,

Good to see the pictures and the success of growing. At my greenhouse all the plants do not form a rosette, they all grow and flower like a cistiflora.

Next year I will try to grow them more cool and check if it is really alba. But just now I will keep on going selling them as cistiflora and for a nice price:}

Regards,

Gert Hoogenstrijd

www.extreme-plants.eu

www.araraflora.com

Edited by gert hoogenstrijd

Dear All,

Good to see the pictures and the success of growing. At my greenhouse all the plants do not form a rosette, they all grow and flower like a cistiflora.

Next year I will try to grow them more cool and check if it is really alba. But just now I will keep on going selling them as cistiflora and for a nice price:}

Hi Gert,

How can this be possible?

It is either D. cistiflora or D. alba. One same taxon can't have two completely different growth patterns.

Are you sure that the plants you sell as D. cistiflora are the same plants that the ones you have in your greenhouse?

François.

OMG! My D.cistiflora from Gert is starting to flower from the rosette...so this means that this is not D.cistiflora...now I understand...that could be D.alba for real...

Now I don't know if I must be happy or sad...D.cistiflora was my dream plant...but also D.alba is very nice!

and alba is mine !!!! when i asked if anyone ave a plant to sell to me, everybody proposed to me capensis alba ...

:-D And sometimes when beginners ask for D.capensis "alba" they say... "D.alba wanted"...

Is very difficult to get what you really want! :thumbsup: