S. Flava not growing

armyranger10a

this also happens to me. nothing to be owrried about...changes back in spring :D

I have a sarracenia (don´t know what it is, probably flava) and it has rather small pitchers at the moment. I don´t actually know whether this is due to how young it is, or the problem (if you could call it a problem) that you are facing.

Guest Sheila

The question is have your pitchers on this plant ever been bigger in the past? If not then it is probably just a juvenile plant and will grow taller pitchers in a year or two.

Well, I just got the plant a few months ago from bugbitingplants.com or somthing like that. It was to big for the pot it was in so i transplanted it about two times. If i cut off the new growing pitchers would that allow the older ones to grow? Because the older ones get brown and the nectar part where bugs get attracted has turned like a dark purple not catching anything.

no, just let it grow how it wants to.

in the spring, your pitchers should be back up to size! :lol:

good luck!

If i cut off the new growing pitchers would that allow the older ones to grow? Because the older ones get brown and the nectar part where bugs get attracted has turned like a dark purple not catching anything.

You need to remember that the pitchers are just leaves (if rather modified). Leaves produce the plants various foods through photosynthesis. Remove the leaves and less is provided. The insects trapped only supply additional nutrients which are naturally missing from the soil.

Guest Sheila

armyranger10a, Once a pitcher has opened it does not grow any taller, no matter how many pitchers you cut off. Generally the first pitchers of the year are the largest. As the year goes on you will get a few slightly smaller ones, occasionally they will be quite a lot smaller.

If you have only had it a couple of months it already has new growing conditions to get used to, so transplanting it twice in such a short space of time won't have helped it. Leave it alone now for this year and see how it looks at the start of next season, you will probably be surprised at the difference.