For those of you with a lot of VFTs

Guest occrider

Guest occrider

Do you take the time to trim off every dead trap/leaf? Or do you just let them die and decompose? Doesn't it start to get ... mushy/sticky around the base of the plant?

IMO, it gets impractical to do so if they are outside, but if you have them in a terarium or at a window sill,you have more control over them and being inside, they could use a little extra TLC.

I have to spend a lot of time each day on things like watering, transplanting, now also seed harvesting and so on. There is not much left for cosmetic operations. The VFTs will get a bit more attention in fall when I move them into the winter growing space.

Cheers

Dieter

I grow my VFTs both outside and in a well-ventilated greenhouse. With adequate airflow, I have never had a problem with dead leaves rotting. They simply dry and become rather crispy. I guess most disease problems develop because of stagnant air and soggy media. Like Dieter, I usually clean up the plants a bit in the late fall when the plants are going dormant.

If dead growth doesn't need to be removed from plants in the wild, then I can't see it causing any harm to my plants. Far too time consuming for me to be bothered with anyway!

Cheers,

In the wild they get rained on regularly and the ventilation is excellent. If on the other hand you keep your plants stood in deep water in a humid greenhouse with little ventilation and no rain, and you dont remove the dead leaves, then the fungus will have a party.

Trev. :lol:

I may look mine over for dead stuff and cut them off once a week. I don't go nuts over it. Every week or 2 I cut the dead stuff off. Mother Nature knows what she's doing better than me!

Tom