a question about artificial lights

Guest chris

it is hanging in my in my hallway it is the only place i can have her but it is not the best lit area ! i was trying to think adding a bit more light to the arae something i can use every day and looks good....... :lol:/

I have just invested in a sodium lamp for the greenhouse setup but also need flourescent for the violet colour range that it lacks (or its something like that)..for some reason flourescents spark off huge migraine which blinds me for an hour or so..

Those craft bulbs seem spot on though!! a very useful bulb for working with, and emitting daylight range too.. very nice

• 1 month later...

Don't use halogen lights for CP's! The only thing they're good for is for heating things up ;)

I've had a good deal of success using compact flourescents on CP's (which are all artificially lit), and some other horticultural projects ;)

Guest Jaicen
I'll back up the comact fluorescents :shock: Despite missing all the supposed

"vital" wavelengths for plant growth, plants manage with them just fine!

I think you may have this backwards sir!

In contrast to halogen, CF's produce far more of the spectrum useful to plants, ie. red & blue. They also produce a small amount of uV which is needed to produce the red coloration on most species (anthocyanin is produced as a sunscreen). CF's may appear to be dull in comparison, but only because they produce small amounts of the green spectrum to which our eyes are most sensitive.

In addition, there are some companies experimenting with LED lighting which I believe will be the future of plant growin, especially when pulsed modules become affordable. I've seen warehouses full of lettuces which have been grown using just a few red & blue LED's per plant. Apart from being cheap to run, LED's are less intrusive as they don't appear as bright to the human eye.

I'll back up the comact fluorescents :D Despite missing all the supposed

"vital" wavelengths for plant growth, plants manage with them just fine!

I think you may have this backwards sir!

:( Damn, so THAT'S why it's been working so well ... *hides head in

shame* :shock:

Compact fluorescent bulbs and clamp-fixtures are easy to find at a local hardware store, and are inexpensive ($3 and $10 US, respectively). This would be a good way to provide your hanging plant with supplemental lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

Alvin,

I have a few of the screw on bulbs and while they do produce very bright light (mine's Philips), the coverage for a larger area will not be possible since it concentrates on 1 spot. How many do you have on yr terrarium?

I'm planning to set up my unused 3' aquarium but have since decided to switch to using my 4' tank instead. Clearance on the live rock and sand are to be done tomorrow. This is my marine coral tank which didn't do so well so decided to convert.

Will you share some experience?

Pauline.

Incandescents produce virtually no light output in the correct spectrum for plants. As Jan says, they're better suited for cooking your plants than helping them grow.

Just get yourself down to any old pound shop and pick up some cheapass compact flourescent bulbs. A 20w CFL produces around 2000 lumens which is good for about 1sq foot of lighting. And it costs virtually nothing to run, something like 20p a week at 12hrs a day. That's about 5 times less than a 100w halogen light of comparable lumens.

So any old flourescent tube/bulb/compact will produce 2000 lumens? Does the wattage matter? Could i just get an energy saver bulb and replace my incandescent fillament bulb on my ceiling light (which has a shade) or would i have to have the flourescent closer to the plants, as my plant is on a north facing window with no direct sunlight (to be moved to green house when it is warmer)?

'compact fluourescent' and 'energy saver' lamps are one and the same. You will have to experiment with wattage, but I suggest a minimum of a 100W equivalent.

You may need more than a single lamp if it is a large plant. The light does not get "thrown" very far so the source needs to be as close to the plant as possible without touching it or burning leaves.