BRISTOL - Les Burdett's first open day

I hope some of you will be able to pop along to my first open day. I have an interesting collection of about 600 Sarracenia housed in a 32' x 10' greenhouse, you can take a look at my website www.leucophylla.co.uk to see my growlist with lots of photographs of plants and flowers. There are also some very interesting seedlings from seeds bought in from the likes of Brooks Garcia (US), Cedric Azais (France), Wes Buckner (US), Plantev (Germany) and others.

I am based in Midsomer Norton, which is about 11 miles south of Bristol and Bath, about half an hour from both the M4 and M5. Let me know if you are coming so I can provide sufficient refreshments and give you directions.

Please feel free to bring along plants to sell/exchange to other visitors.

Les

Edited by Tricky Utrici
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What you will see on my open day:

Sarracenia flava, orephila, moorei are looking fantastic, their best spring ever I think, the same applies to many of the hybrids.

Seedlings, hundreds of really promising third year seedlings raised from seed bought mostly in the United States and France, many will be available to buy and will produce great plants. You can see a list of seedlings on my new website devoted to seed grown plants here.

Edited by Tricky Utrici
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Les, just to confirm I'll be coming up from Taunton on Saturday, I'll sat nav it, anything I need to know? I should be leaving Taunton at about half 11.

Cheers

Alex (another Alex from Somerset!!)

Alex that's great, look forward to seeing you but.......

Beware SatNav will not get you to us, see the map and instructions I posted 2nd June. Put the postcode in the SatNav and it'll put you on the A362 then you won't find us, you'll be 50 yards from us but if you ask a native he'll send you to the wrong Thicket Mead (there are several separate sections to Thicket Mead).

Best of luck, I also posted my mobile phone number with the map, just in case.

Les

BTW - I bet the other Alex is female which should stop any confusion my end!

Edited by Tricky Utrici
  • Like 1

Thanks Les for a good day out.

The collection is pristine and comprehensive and very organised I am very keen to see how all the young plants turn out we got from you.

Nice to see a couple of new faces but it would be nice to see more of you guys.

Thanks to your good wife too for the catering that was very welcome and enjoyed by all.

We look forward to seeing the collection again next year.

Regards Ian.

(Dianne is already replying herself lol)

Thank you Les for the opportunity to poke our noses around your greenhouse, and please thank your lovely wife for the refreshments. Your greenhouse is full of lovely seedlings which none of us can wait to see in the coming years and also many known clones which are looking great!

For those of you who missed it.............. silly billy's............. you missed a great opportunity to get yourself one of the many one off seedlings that Les has produced.

Thank you both for a lovely day.

Dianne

• Like 1

Thank you everyone that turned out for this day, the weather was awful but the turn out was better than I had expected. My wife and I enjoyed meeting you all, old friends and new. I know you all enjoyed my collection and went away with something, including many of the seedlings which I am sure will turn out just as good and interesting as the larger seedlings on display; if you do get something really good do let me know, I might want to buy a division from you.

It was a great pleasure to play host to you all so let's do it all again next year, if the sun shines maybe some more of you will join us then.

Les

• Like 1

Sorry Les I was trying to give you a thumbs up on your last post and the B***** lappy is on tap function (tap was disabled but had to reload the lappy and haven't been able to figure out how to disable it again) and when I went to move the cursor over it flamming tapped the wrong one....... sorry! I have however given you thumbs up on every other post on this thread to make up for it.

Dianne

• Like 1

thanks les for opening up your collection. nothing quite beats a grey day like a greenhouse packed with an amzaing collection, hope i helped make a little room to allow you to fit a few more in. good to catch up with a few familiar faces again, and a few new ones

Thank you for a wonderful day out to see the tidiest collection I have ever seen filled to the brim in a 30' x 10' greenhouse. Thank you also to Les' wife for the hospitality and refreshments.

I will post some pictures once I have uploaded.

Nice to see 2 new faces, but where are the rest of you guys? Open days are the places to obtain new plants, meet experienced gorwers and get fresh ideas. Without open days, I would not have gotten half the plants I have today.