Has anyone re potted this time of year Sarras and Vfts?

My Sarras and VFT's have been dying for a re pot for a year or so and I have just found some Shamrock peat moss which is what I have been waiting for, and some deeper large pots for them. I am desperate to re pot them but I know the general rule is not to until dormancy or in the cooler months. Shall I wait or will doing it now have any consequences on the plants.

My Sarras and VFT's have been dying for a re pot for a year or so and I have just found some Shamrock peat moss which is what I have been waiting for, and some deeper large pots for them. I am desperate to re pot them but I know the general rule is not to until dormancy or in the cooler months. Shall I wait or will doing it now have any consequences on the plants.

Matt, leave them until late summer,then do them.

This will give them time to settle in and grow new roots while there is still warmth in the sun and soil.

You get the added bonus of not having to do anything in the cold next year then.

plus you can enjoy them all summer too at their best.

ada

I've repotted both at this time of the year, with no ill-effects that I could see, but then again I'm generally guaranteed sunny weather throughout the summer months. If the summer turned out to be a bit iffy, I wouldn't be so confident.

Which doesn't help much, I suppose ...

Thanks ada that's what I thought, some of my pots are changing shape because of the plants pushing against the sides of the pots and a couple have split and the roots are flowing out of the bottom too. I should have re potted last year but just couldn't get any decent peat until now.

I have a few deformed pots and its nothing to worry about. However, I would disagree with Ada, I've repotted a few plants that I thought needed it, or a plant that I have brought or swapped, and all have been fine, I've never worried about what time of year it is.

Go with whatever you feel is best for your plants.

Alex.

• Like 1

I repot when the desire takes me. Preferably you have an identical pot to the one you're repotting from, place this in the new larger pot and fill around it, then it's just a matter of plonking the unpotted plant, medium intact, into the hole ala Cephalotus repotting.

I repot when the desire takes me. Preferably you have an identical pot to the one you're repotting from, place this in the new larger pot and fill around it, then it's just a matter of plonking the unpotted plant, medium intact, into the hole ala Cephalotus repotting.

What Fred said is good for not disturbing colour and growth and if you are intending repotting S. flava var. atropropurea for instance still be prepaired to lose some colour for at least a season but when I did a large batch as per Fred advice they all seemed as per normal regarding colour.

Generally though we do tend to repot as and when we get to things ( and divide ) divisions are not always as big as they are when they are part of thier colony of coarse but then they do catch up in due coarse.

Complete Sarracenia repotting will equally impare some and give others a boost particularly when they have been neglected too long.

One thing that is not however advisable is to clean roots and repot a Sarracenia that has a full summer crop of pitchers when it is actually like summer with the big hot orange thing in the sky.

in general though we don't worry about when we repot apart from the large specimens in big container that I am hoping will get to 4 foot that season ( they never do though).

VFT anytime and sometimes we do some twice a season if they go crazy dividing but they initially need doing each year about the growing time but some we had done late last season were looking great this spring so we have not repotted those.

nothing will die so do not worry too much and do what is required.

Edited by Ian Salter

I was wondering about repotting at this time of year too, as some of my Neps are now somewhat pot-bound.