New Paulo09 clones

paulo09

Personally I'm not sure the first plant looks unique enough to be given a name.......only clones that stand out in a crowd and are different to all the other clones should be given a name.

The 2nd plant simply looks like a fused tooth! There is not much point naming as we already have a fused tooth cultivarwhich can produce very fused teeth under the right conditions.

I would stick with calling them cross teethxlong red fingersxfused and Fusedxfusedxbrutal shark teeth instead of giving them actual names. Please think carefully before naming plants, there are too many uninteresting or similar looking named plants already.

Also for information - cross teeth and long red fingers seem to be the same plant.

Heather

Also for information - cross teeth and long red fingers seem to be the same plant.

Hi Heather,

i don't agree with this phrase....from my experience a simply cross teeth it's very different from long red fingers, the shape of the trap and the shape of the leaf are different, they have only the shape of teeth in common...

Hi Max

Well there are 2 cross teeth clones in circulation - which clone do you have?? The german clone does look different but the triffid Park one looks the same to me. I've had this conservation with others who agree they look very very similar if not the same. I also spoke on email to Chris Klein about his cross teeth clone (the different one where the characteristcs are different and less pronounced) and he thinks the german one has been around longer than the triffid park one but I dont have any more information for that.....

Ofcourse you could just be more observant than me and te others but it does depend which clone you have.

Heather

Hi,

i have fused clone 1 and clone 2 from old nepenti.

Nepenti dont really have a great reputation but again in my humble opinion thats another case of people naming plants when they shouldnt do. We already have a fused tooth cultivar so why name any more clones - unless ofcourse they look significantly different to the exisiting fused tooth clone, minor differences in plants just dont interest me I'm afraid and I'll end up getting rid of a lot of my clones becasue they just arent that interesting! Atleast naming them clone 1 and clone 2 is better than naming them 'weird teeth' etc. I have nothing against people naming there own plants with names so they can keep track of them but when they advertise these names people think it must be something interesting but then it often isnt. I do think interesting and unique plants should be named but too many are named just because they have very slight variations on a named clone.

To be honest I think this is done simply to make the plant more desirable so they sell better and the owner can make some money! I think doing doing that is wrong.

Rant over, lol!

My new clones:)

Claudias Lips ( cross teethxlong red fingersxfused)

not named (Fusedxfusedxbrutal shark teeth)

I got the following message from my antivirus software when trying to access your pics

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

IP Address: 77.238.172.11

Thanks for the warning Mantrid. I'm suprised my work computer didnt pick up on that - hmm worrying. Im glad I didnt access them from my home computer although I do have AVG so hopefully it would have blocked it too.

AVG is bad program:) hmm Heather i dont want to sell them!! They are so mmm super!!!:) Ok but my fused always looks like on the picture he always have fused teeth i have 3 clones and they have normal teeth and fused but never only fused.

Fused:

fusedd.th.jpg

Fuzzy

fuzzy.th.jpg

Edited by paulo09

your fuzzy look unusual, normally it's one little clone and it's prostate.

i agree Lj, the first haven't got enough characteristics to be named, and the second looks like one fused tooth(d'amato).

lot of plants have name but aren't interrinting like burbank best etc etc.

take your plants, put off the name and if you can't name it it's only one typical, i have many vft and if i put the nae off i don't know who's who so normally this plant don't be named.

red long fingers and cross teeth looks very similar to me too.

Edited by toimeme

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jean-Philippe ROSELLO
I think that you can mantain the crosses you made in the name in stead of only "Typical": DM Cross teeth x Long red fingers x Fused and DM Fused x Fused x Brutal shark teeth. It would be better, also to remember the plant's story...

Hi,

There is a problem with the name… One cannot know if it's about:

DM (Cross Teeth x Long Red Fingers) X Fused Tooth

or DM Cross Teeth X (Long Red Fingers X Fused Tooth)

It'is very different ! In the first case, half of genes come from 'Fused Tooth' ; it is only the quarter in the second !

As the chloroplasts are transmitted by the mother and play a part in the color, often the order even of the names seems important here, to preserve this information : it's the seedling mother which is in first. (In this case or for Sarracenia it is't so important...)

(Without speaking about the quotes, not to weigh down…)

About your general discussion on the naming, it's very complicated… That often starts with a desire to not mix, not confuse, its plants. Commercially, it's more interesting to give an exclusive name, but I also prefer largely this solution to avoid errors… For example, “Bohemian Garnet” is not synonymous with “Red Sawtooth”: as I wrote in my growlist, all the red hybrids of Sawtooth can be named “Red Sawtooth” but not named “Bohemian Garnet” !

A “Burbank” does not have much interest but is to forget that this clone appeared very a long time ago ! At the time, it was a question of seeking natural variations/fluctuation: when that a seedling left different, it was insulated then named.

I am shocked much more by the fact of naming "type" a plant because which does not show anything in particular ! Generally it is about a cutting coming from garden-center, therefore resulting from a long selection ! The type is a wild plant in conformity with... standard type, the botanical define ! or, of course, a cutting even a sowing. Even at this stage, it's not even simple: the first seedlings taken in nature are the most vigorous, the most coloured !