Cambodian scrubland taxa incl. Utricularia delphinioides

Continuing on from our research into Nepenthes thorelii, François and I have since had the chance to visit various sites in the southwest of Cambodia, most of which are of a rather particular type; the upland 'veals' consist of very thin lateritic substratum overlying sandstone slabs. As such, the surrounding forests end to give way to Melaleuca scrub land and plenty of carnivores. We've come across 9 species of Utricularia, the two commonest tropical Drosera and, of course, Nepenthes. Below are a couple of snaps to illustrate some of what we saw:

c8f7c93f.jpg

Nepenthes kampotiana.

76f97dca.jpg

Nepenthes kampotiana with Drosera burmanii.

e5161110.jpg

Drosera indica habitat with underlying sandstone. Green and red forms were found alongside one another in some habitats.

5bc8ff5c.jpg

5f78b65a.jpg

92f7e9de.jpg

000d98a0.jpg

Drosera burmanii growing on sand and rock respectively:

6adcd8c1.jpg

78dc83df.jpg

69b890b9.jpg

Lithophytic orchid species

93579db5.jpg

Utricularia odorata

Alongside another, rather common taxon:

577f783d.jpg

And last, but not least, the spectacular Utricularia delphinioides:

5ecd7cd6.jpg

d35803fc.jpg

65f4b704.jpg

Edited by Stairs

Thank you, gents.

Fernando, I was fairly remiss I'm afraid, just these of U. minutissima and a tiny yellow species smaller than U. minutissima:

a663134b.jpg

c10579c4.jpg

Taxa we saw included U. delphinioides, U. subulata, U. aurea, U. uliginosa, U. odorata, U. minutissima, U. caerulea, one whose name escapes me (am shattered, apologies), and an unidentified submerged terrestrial. Richard, that was probably U. subulata. The Utrics were everywhere.

Alastair.

Edited by Stairs

Hello Alastair,

Hello Francois,

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos (and thanks for pointing out this thread to me).

The "rather common" Utricularia with the clustered flowers in the first batch of photos is U. caerulea.

Your "U. minutissima" actually shows the very closely related U. hirta (note the hairy scapes), and the small yellow-flowered one is U. bifida.

All the best,

Andreas

• Like 1

U. subulata is one of the most ubiquitous species in this part of the world too, I have found it all over the NJ Pine Barrens, all the way north to the mountainous floating sphagnum bogs of Orange County, New York, both yellow flowering form and the more commonly observed cleistogamous forms. - Rich

• 1 month later...