Npenthes Hamata "red Fuzzy"

bluerajah

well i hope most of you have seen the red and fuzzy nepenthes hamata plants... well borneo exotics opened the sales for them to their suppliers and the whole stock was bought out in a matter of hours.

search%3Fq%3Dnepenthes%2Bhamata%2B%2522red%2Bhairy%2522%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1197%26bih%3D670%26tbm%3Disch0%2C472&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=311&vpy=296&dur=76&hovh=267&hovw=189&tx=120&ty=149&oei=mPWNTeLBOYWmsQO2h8n3CA&page=2&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:18&biw=1197&bih=670

they are very nice looking plants but since they are the first round of plants in cultivation... thy come with a hefty price tag. cheapest one i found was 300$ for a 3cm plant. anyone thinking of getting one?

Wow! $300 ?? That price rivals that of the Edwardsiana...I would probably lean a little bit more towards the Edwardsiana...That's just me...

I can't see any of the pics, but if this is the red 'hairy' hamata, then didn't BE release some a while back? The recent release 2-3 days ago is the second round. Plus, the recent release plants are XS size(unless another larger sized batch was also released) which is rather...insane...when you think about the price, size and that you could have an edwardsiana for that kind of money. I do love the pitchers and all, but...well...heh. Anyway, with things as they are between me and my local BE distributer, it will be cakewalk getting my hands on an edwardsiana as compared to getting my hands on one of these...

Try getting on Wistuba's waiting list. It may take a while, but it will come to you eventually. I know of a guy who just got his around 2 months back, after getting on the waiting list quite a while ago. The edwardsiana he got was tiny, but then well, that's normal too.

Which would you guys pick???? Nepenthes "Hairy" Hamata for $300 US or Nepenthes Macrophylla for $125 US??? Honest opinions only please...

It must have slipped my mind, but it just occured to me again: $300, is that 300USD or 300Euro? Either way, that's insane! I'm talking about the profit made be the retailers. I am 100% sure that the price, in USD, that BE is selling the plants to retailers at does not even hit $200. At $300, that's more than a $100 mark up!! Am I just naive and in actual fact, its a common practice by retailers to gun for such high profit margins? Even edwardsiana wasn't sold for that much...

Side note: Yes, I am aware that retailers have to deal with issues like import permits, shipping costs, etc. Just that the mark up is extremely high as compared to other plants. Obviously the profit margin is much, much higher per plant for the hamatas vs other CPs.

It must have slipped my mind, but it just occured to me again: $300, is that 300USD or 300Euro? Either way, that's insane! I'm talking about the profit made be the retailers. I am 100% sure that the price, in USD, that BE is selling the plants to retailers at does not even hit $200. At $300, that's more than a $100 mark up!! Am I just naive and in actual fact, its a common practice by retailers to gun for such high profit margins? Even edwardsiana wasn't sold for that much...

Side note: Yes, I am aware that retailers have to deal with issues like import permits, shipping costs, etc. Just that the mark up is extremely high as compared to other plants. Obviously the profit margin is much, much higher per plant for the hamatas vs other CPs.

Yes....the price is $300 US....and it is HIghLy InSanE!!! But like everything else,

it's fueled by supply and demand. Unfortunately the demand far outnumbers the supply

and that's why the $300 US(no matter how insane it is) is the opening price for

it('Red Hairy' Hamata) here in the USA :smile::biggrin:

Yes....the price is $300 US....and it is HIghLy InSanE!!! But like everything else,

it's fueled by supply and demand. Unfortunately the demand far outnumbers the supply

and that's why the $300 US(no matter how insane it is) is the opening price for

it('Red Hairy' Hamata) here in the USA :shock::2095:

Yeah, the demand is a real nasty factor. I don't want to think of what will happen when one of these things goes up on ebay.

Have you tried looking outside the USA though? Perhaps a nursery which does international shipping and can provide the necessary paperwork? That's something I've had to do since my country's BE distributer is quite nasty and basically refuses to take any orders from me. It sounds crazy, by I have found that I can get BE plants CHEAPER from overseas in spite of permit costs, shipping costs and the exchange rate, as compared to the prices that the local Distributer sells them for. I'm going to see if I can find one of these for lower than $200.

Yeah, the demand is a real nasty factor. I don't want to think of what will happen when one of these things goes up on ebay.

Have you tried looking outside the USA though? Perhaps a nursery which does international shipping and can provide the necessary paperwork? That's something I've had to do since my country's BE distributer is quite nasty and basically refuses to take any orders from me. It sounds crazy, by I have found that I can get BE plants CHEAPER from overseas in spite of permit costs, shipping costs and the exchange rate, as compared to the prices that the local Distributer sells them for. I'm going to see if I can find one of these for lower than $200.

Hmmmmm....Never thought of this..I will investigate if I can in fact obtain rare

species such as Hamata "Red Hairy" cheaper than the $300 Us price..Thanks for the advice :shock:

Hi Guys,

These plants have been around for sometime and there are growers here in the UK with large vining plants that are already flowering (one female already identified). Until now small numbers of seed grown plants have been periodically released and snapped up very quickly. The current crop are all TC clones, demand for this species over the years has been high hence the $180 price tag and then if you are importing to sell add to that the costs of permits, phyto, carraige and 20% import duty plus DEFRA hassle and personal time and the final costs are going to be prohibitive for anyone with a weak stomach. To be honest any business savy person importing anything to make a living wouldnt sell it for less than 100% mark up otherwise its simply not viable as a business.

The comparison made with edwardsiana is interesting I have four hairy hamata seed grown plants the largest is a 3ft vine and all I can say is that I would readily swap them for the same number of seed grown edwardsiana. None of my plants or indeed any other plants that I have seen grown by other nep growers on the UK are anywhere near as hirsute as the plant shown in the original phot by Chien. In fact some plants have hardly any hairs on the pitchers at all and even if they have the density decreases with successive pitchers as the plant grows. The small juvenile pitchers tend to have the most hairs and again refering to Chiens photo (where it is not easy to assess the scale) this may be a small pitcher.

When compared to the 'typical' hamata form, the differences in cultivation between the two are huge. The hairy form is no where near as vigorous in its growth, the plant is more diminutive in all aspects such as leaf and pitcher size, the stems are very thin and spindly and the leaves seem highly prone to blemishing often leaving them unsightly. I am no taxonomist and my interest in neps is purely horticultural but the difference between the the hairy hamata and the typical form are stark and I am surprised that given the recent explosion of new nep species and reclassification exercises amongst species that to the untrained eye look almost identical, nobody has examined N.hamata and its forms more closely.

• Like 1

price for hamata furry is 144 USD

In Poland??? Thats cheaper than the price here in the US...

Hi Guys,

These plants have been around for sometime and there are growers here in the UK with large vining plants that are already flowering (one female already identified). Until now small numbers of seed grown plants have been periodically released and snapped up very quickly. The current crop are all TC clones, demand for this species over the years has been high hence the $180 price tag and then if you are importing to sell add to that the costs of permits, phyto, carraige and 20% import duty plus DEFRA hassle and personal time and the final costs are going to be prohibitive for anyone with a weak stomach. To be honest any business savy person importing anything to make a living wouldnt sell it for less than 100% mark up otherwise its simply not viable as a business.

The comparison made with edwardsiana is interesting I have four hairy hamata seed grown plants the largest is a 3ft vine and all I can say is that I would readily swap them for the same number of seed grown edwardsiana. None of my plants or indeed any other plants that I have seen grown by other nep growers on the UK are anywhere near as hirsute as the plant shown in the original phot by Chien. In fact some plants have hardly any hairs on the pitchers at all and even if they have the density decreases with successive pitchers as the plant grows. The small juvenile pitchers tend to have the most hairs and again refering to Chiens photo (where it is not easy to assess the scale) this may be a small pitcher.

When compared to the 'typical' hamata form, the differences in cultivation between the two are huge. The hairy form is no where near as vigorous in its growth, the plant is more diminutive in all aspects such as leaf and pitcher size, the stems are very thin and spindly and the leaves seem highly prone to blemishing often leaving them unsightly. I am no taxonomist and my interest in neps is purely horticultural but the difference between the the hairy hamata and the typical form are stark and I am surprised that given the recent explosion of new nep species and reclassification exercises amongst species that to the untrained eye look almost identical, nobody has examined N.hamata and its forms more closely.

Very interesting, it would be really nice to see pics of your plants, would you be kind to upload some?

I am particularly interested on what you mention regarding the hirsute appearance of the plant, how less hairy are your plants than the photo we all have seen?

Very interesting, it would be really nice to see pics of your plants, would you be kind to upload some?

I am particularly interested on what you mention regarding the hirsute appearance of the plant, how less hairy are your plants than the photo we all have seen?

Yes I agree :( We would all love to see photos of these plants that are already vining :suicide_fool-edit: