Hello from edinburgh

Mark Anderson

Hello i'm new to this forum and the first forum i've used so all new to me. I've been growing carnivorous plants for a number of years now, but just started to get into nepenthes which is my new obsession. I grow 15 dionaea muscipula (typical forms) 1 sarracenia rubra ssp rubra 1 sarracenia rubra ssp gulfensis 3 sarracenia purpurea venosa 3 sarracenia psittacina 1 sarracenia x mitchelliana 6 drosera capensis 10 pinguicula x wesser 1 nepenthes x ventrata 2 nepenthes x bill bailey I allso grow a few orchids and 3 green species of uk green sphagnum moss and 1 red uk sphagnum moss. This really is a top notch carnivorous plant forum.

OK, just north of me. I often pass through New Pitsligo. There's a peat bog near there.

the peat bog is just 5 10 mins from my mums, unfortunately it is quite degraded, there is allso an old granite quarry so whenever i'm up i lookout for chunks of white quartz which i crush into sand for my cp's, to be honest you don't need to look hard for it as the whole village and my mums garden is full of huge chunks of quartz. I'm going to search the rest of the bog this summer to see if i can get some nice photos of cp's, not holding my breath tho.

the peat bog is just 5 10 mins from my mums, unfortunately it is quite degraded, there is allso an old granite quarry so whenever i'm up i lookout for chunks of white quartz which i crush into sand for my cp's, to be honest you don't need to look hard for it as the whole village and my mums garden is full of huge chunks of quartz. I'm going to search the rest of the bog this summer to see if i can get some nice photos of cp's, not holding my breath tho.

If you are refering to the bog I'm thinking of, then there is a road that runs through it, with one side heavily extracted and dead (though still used by locals for cutting peat for burning. The other side is semi-cut back a few metres from the road, but then there is a steep bank with the bog atop. The bog is semi-drained, due to the aforementioned cut, which the water pours down; however, it is still very wet, with pools and Sphagnum moss. I've only ever looked at the first few metres of the un-cut area.

How do you crush the qaurtz?

If you are refering to the bog I'm thinking of, then there is a road that runs through it, with one side heavily extracted and dead (though still used by locals for cutting peat for burning. The other side is semi-cut back a few metres from the road, but then there is a steep bank with the bog atop. The bog is semi-drained, due to the aforementioned cut, which the water pours down; however, it is still very wet, with pools and Sphagnum moss. I've only ever looked at the first few metres of the un-cut area.

How do you crush the qaurtz?

i break up the big chunks into smaller bits with hammer, just wrap it up in lots of layers of thick plastic and batter the hell out of it then sieve it and crush the big chunks again. i'm goin to have to buy some different size garden sieves. i'm only trying it on some sacrificial Drosera capensis root cuttings and a few vft divisions, early days yet but seems ok. i'll keep you updated. yeah think hur the same bog.