Keeping pots cool

Kryptonite

Hello everyone,

Apologies if i am posting this in the wrong place. My grow house is quite small and gets a lot of direct sun for almost the whole day and i don't want the pots to overheat. [un]fortunately, they are all black plastic. Is there a way i can keep the pots and the substrate cool over the summer? Would putting the pot inside and empty pot of the same type (so the outer one heats up and the inner one is a bit cooler) be any help?

Any thoughts or advise would be much appreciated.

Regards

Edited by Kryptonite

Hi there...I really don't think heat should be a too big of a problem as long as you keep them wet (the Cobraplant of course being an exception), or have you had problems in the past?

No not really--it's my first year of growing them in the growhouse. Last year i grew them indoors. It was just something someone mentioned to me got me thinking. Am still very much a beginner and thought it best to check!

Thank you for the reply Amar :)

One trick I learned is to generously cover the top with perlite to reflect the suns heat inducing rays. The only problem is that, as we all know it, perlite floats away when watered, so maybe a fine mesh nylon can be placed on top to hold perlite. In Japan, they designed a special planter box for Darlingtonia where it's a pot inside a box that looks a lot like a tissue(Kleenex) holder. The idea is that the planted Cobra plant is inside this white(reflective) box that has a hole on top for the plant to grow out of, in turn cooling the roots. here is a rough drawing I made of it since I can't find a photo of it, pardon the drawing cause I'm not James :rolleyes:

th_CobraPlanterBox.jpg

Edited by dchasselblad74

You can clad the outside of the pots with Mylar and then for a topping use white aquarium gravel,this is what I do for my D Regia and my Darlingtonias-works well.

Mylar!!!! Yes...That is actually a brilliant idea...I will try this :sweat:

Mylar!!!! Yes...That is actually a brilliant idea...I will try this :sweat:

Yes, just wrap it round and tack it with some shiny duct tape. Mylar is easy to get hold of, not dear, you can get it on Ebay easily. In fact if you want to really pamper Darlingtonia, you can line the pot with Mylar aswell, thus when you use cold water ,it'll stay cool.

In Japan, they designed a special planter box for Darlingtonia where it's a pot inside a box that looks a lot like a tissue(Kleenex) holder. The idea is that the planted Cobra plant is inside this white(reflective) box that has a hole on top for the plant to grow out of, in turn cooling the roots. here is a rough drawing I made of it since I can't find a photo of it, pardon the drawing cause I'm not James :sweat:

th_CobraPlanterBox.jpg

There is a plan for one here: http://bit.ly/fltayy

I'd noticed for years how the plants in the pots at the edges- where the sides are exposed to the sun, always do less well than the others. So last year I cut up a piece of that white plastic cardboard like material- that they use for election posters and for sale signs- and used that to shade the sides of the pots at the edge. It worked well so I'm using it again this year.

Edited by Trev

I'd noticed for years how the plants in the pots at the edges- where the sides are exposed to the sun, always do less well than the others. So last year I cut up a piece of that white plastic cardboard like material- that they use for election posters and for sale signs- and used that to shade the sides of the pots at the edge. It worked well so I'm using it again this year.

Trev, are you saying then that VFTs prefer cooler roots?

There is a plan for one here: http://bit.ly/fltayy

Yup...that's the one I saw months ago...

Yes, just wrap it round and tack it with some shiny duct tape. Mylar is easy to get hold of, not dear, you can get it on Ebay easily. In fact if you want to really pamper Darlingtonia, you can line the pot with Mylar aswell, thus when you use cold water ,it'll stay cool.

I always throw away mylar balloons after my kids get tired of them. Now I will reuse them;)

Don't people feel clay pots work? If you want to drop below ambient temps at the roots?

I wonder if there's just an instinctive resistance by some CP growers against clay pots, on account of perceived mineral buildup in the clay, etc.

I use light blue pots for Heliamphora, Darlingtonia and Drosera regia. I feel it really helps.

I think I still have the blue one that you sent one of my Heliamphora in. This plant is now so big that it's in a large white ceramic pot on my kitchen windowsill.

Don't people feel clay pots work? If you want to drop below ambient temps at the roots?

I currently have a H. pulchella in a tall clay pot on my windowsill and it seems to be doing ok. I would imagine that a bit of evaporative cooling takes place.

It figures if you think about it, VFT's roots in the wild wouldn't ever get as hot as they do in a black plastic pot in the sun in a greenhouse.

Typically sub-surface will be cooler than above ground in nature.

If you really need to keep your pots cool, put the pot with the plant in, inside a larger pot with either sphagnum, cotton wool, or similar wicking material in the gap between the two pots. Stand the pots in water and the evaporative cooling effect will keep the inner pot lovely and cool.

Works well with Darlingtonia.

Cheers

Steve