Aphids & Nepenthes

Hostage

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can help me?

I've looked through some of the posts but can't seem to find an answer to how to get rid of Aphids on Nepenthes. What is safe to use?

There is also another bug on it. A small speckled type thing?! They are about twice the size of a small aphid.

Please help before the plant dies on me!!

Provado is a good mild systemic (neonicotinoid) poison. I would, however, use it with care. Some Nepenthes really dislike it. An alternative that worked for me was flea collars. These usually have diazinon or similar organophosphates as the active ingredient. The advantage is that you can localise treatment. Diazinon is not systemic so repeat treatments may be necessary. In any case whenever handling either substance I would suggest using rubber washing-up type gloves (discard after use and wash hands thoroughly).

I've used Provado on:

aristolochioides

hamata

diatas

mikei

macrophylla

ephippiata

copelandii

argentii

inermis

talangensis

glabrata

jacquelineae

and a few morewith no ill effects.

Personally I'd like to find out which fungicides are safe!

Cheers

Amaury

Slightly off topic but may be useful. Myclobutanil (Fungus Fighter) has worked relatively well for me so far...if applied in a localised manner. I have used it on ampullaria, x trichocarpa and x 'ventrinermis' (so far). With ampullaria local dosing is essential (at least in my case, obliterates pitcher production for several months). The other two seem unaffected. As is often the case sporadic reapplication is necessary (fungus is surpressed but not dead).

As to Provado I should add I have little experience in treating small plants. Aphids and scale have been on larger plants only (I have no idea whether this is typical or not; anyone?).

• 2 weeks later...

thanks very much everyone for their help!!

just going to order provado now!

would this work on my other cp's in my greenhouse - sarracenia's, vft's, and drosera's?

also, had a look at the other 'things' but they aren't ladybird larvae. They just seem like large aphids that have two stripes across their body!!? any clues? wish i had a digital camera to get a photo to show you.

cheers

I always buy the soil drench because it is safe on all the carnivorous plants. The only one I'm not too sure of using it on is Drosophyllum because mine shrivelled up after using it, but it was in a bad state before the provado and could have been dieing anyway.

• 1 month later...

How much did you spray?

I always use Provado, but in very small quantities. I find that just one good squirt per plant is enough, even if only a few leaves are hit. I just sprayed all my Sarracenia and Dionaea a few days ago with it to provide protection as there was an infestation of aphids and whitefly on a couple of the Diaonea.

Again, I sprayed only once and all the bugs are dead and they are fine. :)

you sprayed constantly for a few seconds? :shock:

Yup, I think you overdosed it then!

Ah well, at least you know for next time eh :) We all make mistakes like this at some point.

Guest Aidan
I think with the aerosol Provado you must spray from a distance as the propellant can burn the plant tissue!

Quite and it is also a different formulation. The aerosol has an additional insecticide included.

• 5 months later...

The Bayer Advanced range contains the same active ingredient (Imidacloprid) as Provado and appears to be the equivalent US product. The formulation is slightly different but it should perform in the same manner. Test application on a plant first prior to treating your entire collection!

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/productFamily...lower-care.html