Is this a Cephalotus Hummers Giant?

KEPBEPOS

Hi to everyone! I am new in this forum and olso new in cultivation of Cephalotus , so I have a question to more profetional in Cephalotus cultivation.Recently i bought a "Cephalotus Hummers Giant" on ebay but iam not sure if it is the original Hummers Giant or not and if not what variety is?I will give 2 photoes and if you want more  just tell me!

P.S If there is an article about diference between Cephalotus and  how to recognise eats variety please tell me! Thanks in advance!http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=mvolg4&s=8

Edited by panmaroy

Sorry, this is not Hummer's Giant....

2kztz.jpg

mvolg4.jpg

Your plant is just regular Cephalotus in mass production, clone of the Dutch nursery Carniflora, Araflora etc...

10393802_536444746481260_487520472575708

10429394_536444759814592_634423625073417

10254990_504987602960308_766544217513429

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 1

Hi Dimitar just out of curiosity, what makes you say that it isn't?

Is there a specific style of lid or ribs?

Just curious as I am also new to Ceph growing and apart from the obvious size in the various cultivars, could this not be a developing Hummers Giant?

Eg. I have a Dudley Watts comming tomorrow... So what traits should I look for? To ensure it is what the label says?

Many thanks,

James

Eg. I have a Dudley Watts comming tomorrow... So what traits should I look for? To ensure it is what the label says?

The only way to be reasonably sure is to buy from a grower you know and trust, who can trace it back to the originator. There is so little difference amongst many of the clones/cultivars that I find it virtually impossible to tell them apart.

Who says that this is the real clone?

Charles Brewer says that.

Just because it has big pitchers, it does not have to be the Real 'Hummer's Giant'.

You can tell that to Charles Brewer or directly to John Hummer.

Good Luck!

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 1

Due to I am new here and i dont have access to the selling forum of this site and the problem is when i will have the temperatures here in Greece will go down alot and  i sould wait until Spring...,do you know any one how i can buy some original cephalotus  Hummesrs Giant-Big Boy?

Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'

Submitted for registration on 10 May 2000

In September of 1986 I received from Steve Beckwith (a pen pal in Adelaide Australia) about half a dozen good-sized plants of Cephalotus follicularis. All had deep maroon colored pitchers at least 5 cm (2 inches) in length that had over-wintered from the previous year's growing season. It was obvious that the plants had been dormant for some months and were just beginning to start their growing cycle again,.........

This description does make me wonder if anyone knows where  the original plant or plants is / are. This green one is often put forward as that but it doesn't fit Hummer's own description. Barry Rice further complicated matters when at the end of the registration he added this ......

Editor's note: As John mentioned in his article, he has been distributing this cultivar for many years. Growers with gigantic Cephalotus specimens can be quite confident it is the same clone that John described in his article.........

Which was of course very foolish and / or naive of him. Several other so called giants were in cultivation  before Hummer's and distributed internationally in the 1980s and subsequently. Hummer himself doesn't have the plant so there's no reference to go back to.

Edited by FredG
  • Like 2

I fully agree to Fred.

I don't think it's the real 'Hummer's Giant'.

Based on what, John Hummer's colour description? Cephalotus colour is dependant on conditions, hence why so called dark clones do not get dark in all growers conditions.

Think  it is about time  that  the  owners of  Hummer Giant  step  up to  the  plate now !  and not sit behind a screen  ,and let us all know why  this is  the  true Hummer Giant and why , Charles Brewer is now the distributor of  the  HG in USA and world  presumably !!, and frequents  this forum  , do not  think any of  us should  fight some one else  Battle  , time to tell us all please !! either from  John Hummer or  Charles  ,from what Charles  has indicated  John no longer has and interest in  Cephs or  many CP's any more .

so  up to you Charles to  let us all know  the  information  please

• Like 2

Unless Marcus B has, without any doubt, a division from the actual plant that was sent to John Hummer, the specific clone he named as 'Hummer's Giant', then there cannot be any certainty that anyone has it in cultivation in AU.

Agreed John, it's a total mess and has been for many years. I know Charles is distributing the green thing as the original but when you look at that other photo which has his name on they're surely not the same clone.

Why none try to go  on the original place that the friend of J Hummer took the plants?or why none try to find the original place, i can not understand all those serching travels which made to find new varieties of Carnivorous plans none try to find what realy happen in this unique plant....(As far as i know!)

I and  I think  Marcus B have the  original  plants here still in AU  and  they dont  look  like  the  HG being sold  by  Charles in  USA

Would it be possible MarcusB to trace them back to the particular plant described by John Hummer which in fact is the real HG cultivar?

Carl   when  Steve  sent  plants to  John Hummer , he also   sent  a few  plants to friends here in  AU  from  the same  batch's of  plants that were sent to John originally ,  may be  not at the same time as he cant remember its like 30 year ago or some  thing ,  but  the  original plants sent by Steve  were  just ordinary  cephs with  good red colour pitchers   , nothing special    according to  Steve himself  , !!