Do Drosophyllum plants live longer when you cut the flower?

TheCarnifreak

Hi all,

Has anyone experimented with this? Do plants get older when you cut off flower buds? Let me know!

I got some first-year-plants and some produce a flower bud...

Cheers!

Ries

Edited by TheCarnifreak
  • Like 1

Hi

I left blooming my drosophyllum lusitanicum once time the first year but it make me other flowers after the first bloom. I cut them two time but it make me yet new bloom.

I don't know if the cutting of flower allow to increase the time life of the drosophyllum but it bloom again if you cut her flower.

don't think so, mine flower every year and live for several years. What has made a difference is I started growing them outside in Feb this year, I have much stockier, robust plants with better growth and colour. Might have to move indoors for a bad winter, but planning a winter garden for them (if I get permission).

Really, outside from February??? I'll have to try this.

Greg

I have also sown outside in February. Goes really well and more plants make it to adult. The most important thing is to place them good ventilated...so for that outside is ideal.

If sowing outdoors do they need protection from downpours of rain to avoid the seed getting washed away?

I covered the pots with clear plastic...which you best remove as soon as they start to germinate.