After the first layer of sand was laid in the base, the pond liner went on top, followed by another 2 inch layer of sand. Then it took exactly 2 tonne of limestone ballast infilled to within 2 inches of the top of the blocks. This was filled with water and left overnight to test for leaks.

gallery_8151_681_6689.jpg

Instead of just glanding the overflow pipe into a floppy pond liner, i decided to gland it off into an 8 inch deep 4 inch square tupperware container with some holes drilled in the bottom ! Plenty of marine grade silicone sealant was applied around the pipe gland, fixing screws, and between the tupperware container and pond liner. This now doubles as a handy little water level inspection point enabling me to know how much water is under my feet.

gallery_8151_681_157704.jpg

It took another 1 tonne of ballast just to build up the remaining 2 inches to the top of the blocks.

gallery_8151_681_227795.jpg

The finished base (except for a few paving slabs down the left hand side). We had already proved earlier that the pond liner was leak free, but this morning i discovered that the water level in the inspection pit had dropped about 1.5 inches below the overflow pipe........ evidence that the water is gradually being absorbed by the limestone , which will aid water retention greatly in the heat of summer. No doubt there was a small percentage of evaporation overnight too. So a top up with the hosepipe was needed and the water level is now starting to stabilize.

gallery_8151_681_10068.jpg

So weather permitting this weekend, it will be greenhouse erection time ! :smile:

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 3

So that's three tons of wet rock to absorb heat all through the day? That'll make a helluva heat store and should help buffer you against sudden cold nights.

Very neat work!

Cheers,

Steve

(currently working on a 10'x8' potting shed which should end the current practice of using my greenhouse as garden storage)

So that's three tons of wet rock to absorb heat all through the day? That'll make a helluva heat store and should help buffer you against sudden cold nights.

Very neat work!

Cheers,

Steve

(currently working on a 10'x8' potting shed which should end the current practice of using my greenhouse as garden storage)

Cheers mate. There's also going to be 4 x 120 litre open top blue barrels (painted black for heat absorbtion) under the potting bench. Do you think there'll be enough water in total ? :laugh1:

Yeah, hopefully during the warm weather there'll be enough thermal mass there to help keep the 3kw heater, hydrofogger, and other electrical gadgets from kicking in too often.

Cheers. On top of that, i'll be adding 4 x 120 litre open top blue barrels below the staging under the plants (painted black for heat absorption) which will be linked together and fed from the guttering when it rains. The last barrel in line will have an overflow which will just drain into the base. So hopefully with all that water there'll be enough thermal mass to help keep the 3kw heater, hydrofogger, and other electrical gadgets from kicking in too often. I'm not sure exactly how beneficial all this is going to be, as it's a bit of an experiment i suppose. But i'll be keeping a record of natural tempratures and humidity levels inside and out before all the electrical stuff is installed, and i'll post my findings.

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 1

go forth and scab ask and you shall receive

It must be a Bristol thing as im just starting work on my greenhouse. Its attached to my shed which was built with the same ethic, im more time rich than cash rich, so if it takes longer to bodge everything together then so be it!!

Saturday started with light rain showers but eased off long enough for me to connect the base together again and anchor it down. 40 of these were used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201022731484 (M6 x 80), which worked out much cheaper than i first thought. And then the heavens opened again and it didn't stop all day, so the build was abandoned.

gallery_8151_681_4042.jpg

Sunday was much better with plenty of sun and a light breeze for the majority of the day, so great progress was made by early evening.

gallery_8151_681_190310.jpg

gallery_8151_681_145510.jpg

Monday morning the doors were hung and then the most boring job to finish off (which i gave to my partner Jacky to do :laugh2:) was to insert the sealing rubber around all the panes of polycarbonate (except the roof, which uses capping strips).

We also managed to pick up 4 clean 120 litre blue plastic barrels for £30 which we were very pleased about, considering some of the prices we found on ebay (some asking £25 EACH !)

Next step i think will be ordering the shade netting, bubblewrap, and a sheet of marine ply to mount the electrics and associated items. Then i can start building the plant staging from all the reclaimed 4x2's from the old caravan floor.

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 4

Guest paul y

that has decent height to the eaves, I swear its the difference between a 500 polycarb greenhouse and a 1k polycarb greenhouse. eave height is always the issue with every one ive looked at buying,

its why im building my own, 6ft eaves and im only 5ft 10 so no ducking for me!!

is there any info for bench design and optimum layout?  I don't want to waste a centimetre of space in mine, I may build the benches so wide that the only way in is sideways just like the crab people!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks folks :smile:

I've now added guttering to the greenhouse. To maximize water collection, i decided to gutter both sides of the greenhouse and connect them together across the back so as to have just one downpipe feeding the four 120 litre barrels. Easier said than done. I was 99% confident that the base i built was dead level, but adding even a slight incline to the guttering to stop sitting water, began to look like i put it up with my eyes closed. It's not too bad down the left side (visible from the garden, phew) and across the back, but the side against the fence panels looks awful. Maybe it's time to replace my 25 year old spirit level :laugh2:

Left side...

gallery_8151_681_521944.jpg

The back.....

gallery_8151_681_247034.jpg

And the hidden wonky right side with the downpipe entering through the polycarbonate....

gallery_8151_681_427577.jpg

Next it was time to add 25mm triple laminate UV bubblewrap to the inside. I'm only doing 3/4's of the inside, the south facing side is being left open to the sun. All the bubblewrapped sections will also be covered in shade netting. Practically finished, just need to do the doors, the panels to the right of them, and both roof vents.

gallery_8151_681_41388.jpg

You can see the downpipe entering on the right in the photo below. It looks a tad short, but it actually goes through a 50mm hole that i've drilled in one of the barrels, and there's still a good 2 inches inside. You'll see what i mean when the photos of the installed barrels appear in a few weeks time.

gallery_8151_681_415328.jpg

I had a bit of a predicament thinking how to attach the bubblewrap (and the shade netting) to the greenhouse, as standard clips like Alliplugs won't fit the channels on a Rion's resin frame. After a fruitless few weeks scouring the internet looking for a suitable clip, i decided to buy 100 children's green game counters and drill the centres out and fix with a self tapper. The 22mm plastic discs work a treat :biggrin:

gallery_8151_681_691865.jpg

(Photo taken after i had made a start on adding the shade netting, pics will follow in a day or two).

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 4

Guest paul y

not that I know much about these things, but everything you have done there just looks and seems to be the mutts £$%$,   why is there not preshaded polycarb not available?  as in polycarb that's been manufactured with a specific degree of shading built in?

i love the bespoke solution to shade net clips, you have found a hole in the market welshy, sell those shade clips for a £1 for ten on ebay!!

i have no knowledge of neps so im assuming all the shade netting and insulation is for the neps,  i remember reading your system for water and heat storage, a friend of mine once got scolded by hose pipe water from a hose left under pressure led out in the sun, makes me think that if you set up a couple of hydro pumps to slowly move your storage water through a black pipe that's been fitted in a sunny position, like a small recirculating solar heating system,  my friend was scarred for life by that water and it was march when it happened,

all in all seriously impressed

have fun paul

Guest paul y

a rad would be better than a pipe as more surface area to catch sunlight,  solar hot water systems are really efficient, a scaled down version should work a treat for this application.

paul

not that I know much about these things, but everything you have done there just looks and seems to be the mutts £$%$,   why is there not preshaded polycarb not available?  as in polycarb that's been manufactured with a specific degree of shading built in?

i love the bespoke solution to shade net clips, you have found a hole in the market welshy, sell those shade clips for a £1 for ten on ebay!!

i have no knowledge of neps so im assuming all the shade netting and insulation is for the neps,  i remember reading your system for water and heat storage, a friend of mine once got scolded by hose pipe water from a hose left under pressure led out in the sun, makes me think that if you set up a couple of hydro pumps to slowly move your storage water through a black pipe that's been fitted in a sunny position, like a small recirculating solar heating system,  my friend was scarred for life by that water and it was march when it happened,

all in all seriously impressed

have fun paul

Paul tinted polycarb is available,maybe greenhouses come with clear because shade cloth can be added but if more light is required and shaded poly is fitted you would be in trouble,Welshy it looks great ,looking forward to seeing it planted up

Paul nothing was intended to be sarcastic (i aint that clever) i only know tinted is available because i fit it in conservatories and i do not know if any greenhouses come with the option,i will have to be more careful how i word things if you thought any sarcasm was in my post,

Guest paul y

i couldn't help but read sarcasm in your post, not that im taking offence as im thick skinned spent my teenage years fat spotty with glasses and bad breath so as you could imagine what my school years were like i am actually now invulnerable to insults sarcasm and just about any mum jokes anyone could come up with,

plus im a big fan of sarcasm, i was once told it was the lowest form of wit by a midget comedian who claimed the funniest thing he ever heard was me saying his parents must be proud of him.

i still disagree on dwarfism being the lowest form of wit and still haven't actually asked if his parents are proud of him

no offence taken i was trying to highlight the humour for all to see.

on a super serial note though, if nep greenhouses require 50% shading why don't nep growers just buy 50% shaded polycarb. it would save a lot of messy retro fitting of netting plus save a fair bit of space in greenhouse, and save on netting which i appreciate is a lot cheaper than polycarb,

i don't know either way but if i was planning a dedicated nep house i would seriously consider buying shaded polycarb or is it the case that when winter arrives it would not be bright enough with shaded polycarb?, what takes longer to fit? popping out glazing bars and switching polycarb twice a year or hanging and removing netting twice a year?

i suppose with the right money then asking pilkingtons for smart glass would be the best way forward.  imagine that a cedar framed smart glass glazed greenhouse with its own toilet, i would have no reason (apart from borderlands2) to ever enter my house again

Guest paul y

can you believe it, smart glass in various forms is being tested for suitability in greenhouses in the states, I honestly thought this would be on sale already, actually surprised so much research is going into glass still its been around for how many hundreds of years? but then the fundamental design of a bike cant be improved so I assume glass is still the number one choice for a lot of reasons.

still imagine that though a smart glass glazed greenhouse where you can adjust the opacity from your mobile phone at work, give it a few years of research and im sure they will develop glass that glows with par light for those cloudy days as well.

pilkingtons if your reading this yes I will happily trial all of those ideas for free just come and assemble them and I will give you more feedback than a Tesco club card

If you use 25mm multiwall polycarbonate (and it really is worth it to save on heating) its allready about 60% shaded. In winter you really want as much light as you can get or you can just sit there and count the dying plants.

Actually i struggle to grow some sundews properly in the greenhouse because its allready too shaded with just the clear polycarb and glass.

Edited by manders

If you want to remove the netting in the winter to improve light it might be an idea to have it on separate fixings to the bubble wrap. Maybe just using some hooks which the netting can easily be hooked onto and taken off quickly. Maybe three at the apex of the roof and 3 each side at eves level

Or just convert your bathroom to a grow room for Nepenthes. Nice and warm, plenty of moisture in the air and comes fitted with a toilet!

I would do... we're it not for the fact that my wife is already moving her orchid collection in there ;-)

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1