Glass or polycarbonate

Hello,

I plan building a new larger greenhouse and I need your advise, please.

I can´t decide if I choose glass or polycarbonate for better colour of plants. I grow mainly VFTs and Sarracenias. I will cultivate plants in new GH from spring to end of autumn.

Thank you for your advice!

Happy growing to all ;-)

Best regards

As Manders said, also consider how hot your summers are, glass may need to "shaded" where as polycarb won't.

I've used clear acrylic panels, they give appearance of glass but are very thin, light plastic panels.

You can view it here http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46923

Edited by Blocky71

Glass must be shaded in summer and isolate in winter,polycarbonaat not ,if i must place a new greenhousse i go used for sure polycarbonaat ,clear ones in 3 layers from 16 mm thick at least.i grow plants in my veranda (port?)to ,this is whit polycarbonaat and the color of the plants is just the same like in the greenhousse under glass.

Think glass is match cheaper but more expensif for isolate and shade,it s also match hotter in summer and colder in winter.

But it s of course your choice,i think for the color it s te same,

Cheers will

• 2 weeks later...

I've had both polycarbonate and glass greenhouses, and I'll never use polycarbonate again. I lived in a windy place and I got sick of chasing the panels down the street during a storm.

Not the fault from the plates i supoose ,meaby better make it then it s go not flying,if you not make your glass like it must it s go fly away too, :sarcastic_blum:

Cheers Will

I had two greenhouses, one was polycarbonate, one glass. The glass one was unaffected, the polycarbonate got chased down the street.

To the polycarbonate's credit, I suppose if a pane of glass had been blown onto the street then run over by a large truck, it wouldn't have been re-useable! :laugh1: