Hello from Devon

Sue

There is no prise for guessing my name!

I am completely addicted to growing plants, all plants from trees to tiny alpines.

I've got a number of Sarracenias, a couple of Venus fly traps and was recently given a very poorly Nepenthes 'Miranda' to look after. The 'Miranda' is my reason for joining this forum, I'm not the worlds greatest online chatter but I do like to find out as much as I can to give my plants the best possible chance. I've trawled the internet for information and that is how I have ended up here.

I will have a wander around the forum to find the best place to ask about Nepenthes 'Miranda'

I've also got Nepenthes 'Alata', I was determined to grow pitchers and this one was a lot easier :D

Welcome indeed! Are you sure that it's an alata though? It's often a hybrid (Nepenthes x ventrata) which is sold as alata instead...

Thanks for the welcomes

Now you are getting far too in depth for a complete novice :) So far I have mastered the art of reading the label and doing a bit of Googling. The label said Alata so that is what I believed it was. I read that they were high altitude plants so needed less heat and less humidity. I’ve grown Sarracenias for years but this is my first tentative steps into growing Nepenthes.

You are forgiven, it is not easy to go back to basics when you know so much. I’d rather have to ask you to slow down than get info from someone who knows very little and makes the rest up. I’ve met a lot of those on my gardening journey.

OMG, I’ve just been flicking through the ‘Grow lists’, now I’ve picked myself off the floor, they are amazing.

Sue, how do you do :biggrin:

A warm welcome to CPUK Forum.

If your 'Alata' was bought from a UK garden centre, then it is very very likely to be 'Ventrata', as they are almost always mis-labeled.

It was bought from a GS

Thanks for naming it correctly, it took a little searching but I eventually found some growing information on the internet. No lower than 10 degrees, plenty of light but no direct sun and a feed of diluted orchid fertiliser twice a month. Is this good information?

My plant is only a baby, I bought it with no pitchers. I like to believe I bought a tiny plant because I love growing all plants but if the truth were know it is more likely that I’m tight and a tiny plant was cheep. :biggrin:

1-77.jpg

You are forgiven, it is not easy to go back to basics when you know so much.

It is you who is forgiven - the phrase "knows so much" doesn't describe me at all! :biggrin: For example, I can't tell if your plant is alata or x ventrata....

...but then again, I've owned neither and they look the same as far as I'm concerned.

My plant is only a baby, I bought it with no pitchers. I like to believe I bought a tiny plant because I love growing all plants but if the truth were know it is more likely that I’m tight and a tiny plant was cheep. :biggrin:

They are often on garden centre bargain shelves, after they have failed to look after them correctly and the pitchers have shrivelled up. I got mine a few years ago for £2 from such a shelf and it now happily pitchers on my kitchen windowsill :biggrin:

They are often on garden centre bargain shelves, after they have failed to look after them correctly and the pitchers have shrivelled up. I got mine a few years ago for £2 from such a shelf and it now happily pitchers on my kitchen windowsill :biggrin:

I’m a serial plant rescuer, all plants, I hate to see them mistreated and get a buzz when I nurse them back to health. I have two Sarracenia x Tara recovering beside the pond at the moment. Both are picking up and growing new pitchers.

I’ve wanted to make an outside bog garden to fill with the hardy Sarracenias for a number of years but I’m not sure how to go about it. Now I’ve arrived here I will do some serious brain picking. Last year I built a small one in the covered garden and that seems to be working well, all my plants are healthy and growing well.

1-78.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Wood~Ant

Hi Sue,

You are lucky to live in such a lovely county as Devon, as my wife and I would love to move there if only we could; but sadly while I am now retired from life as a registered nurse, my wife Jenny still works for the NHS and cannot retire for another 5 years.

I too only have a minimal collection of C/plants and cacti, as living in a small flat doesn't allow much space for all I collect, which includes a vast amount of Doctor Who stuff and ants. :D

Hey Sue, that looks really good! We're new here too, but all very, very interesting.

There is a lot of interesting and useful information on here. I have read the ‘Bog garden’ section from cover to cover (so to speak). This winter I shall be starting an outside bog garden, I’m fairly certain I now know what I am doing, there were also some great tips.

Hi Sue,

You are lucky to live in such a lovely county as Devon, as my wife and I would love to move there if only we could; but sadly while I am now retired from life as a registered nurse, my wife Jenny still works for the NHS and cannot retire for another 5 years.

I too only have a minimal collection of C/plants and cacti, as living in a small flat doesn't allow much space for all I collect, which includes a vast amount of Doctor Who stuff and ants. :D

Devon is a lovely place to live, the only downside is everywhere is a long way away. I’m a Doctor Who fan too although I don’t collect memorabilia, just watch it.

Not too sure about the ants, the garden is full of them, I think that is where I prefer them to be.